New Firmware - Blurry Photos and Video
2801 24 2016-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

Has anyone else upgraded to the latest firmware (1.6.40) and noticed that the photos and video are all very blurry? I cannot for the life of me get it to take non blurry footage.

Really need any help with this, the drone is worthless to me right now.

See the attachments

FW 1.53

FW 1.53

FW 1.6

FW 1.6

FW 1.6 (Don't mind the food, just had dinner haha)

FW 1.6 (Don't mind the food, just had dinner haha)
2016-1-4
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I haven't noticed anything when it comes to video speed yet. What I have noticed though is that my ability to climb has dramatically slowed. Has anyone rolled back their firmware to 1.5? looks like I will probably be doing this
2016-1-4
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

I think I will probably roll back my FW to 1.5

I had no issues whatsoever on that firmware
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

During video do you have blurred video as well? 1.6 did not have any camera adjustments.
2016-1-5
Use props
barlingphoto
New

United States

Since upgrading to 1.6 my photos look like 5mp shots. Very blurry. Interestingly, the video looks fine. What the...?
2016-1-6
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

barlingphoto Posted at 2016-1-6 03:50
Since upgrading to 1.6 my photos look like 5mp shots. Very blurry. Interestingly, the video looks fi ...

its blurry cause it is vibrating . 1,6 is bad , go back to 1.5 , but its bad to , just not as bad as 1.6.
we all should of stayed at 1.4 like i did :-)
2016-1-6
Use props
Priidik
lvl.1

Estonia

barlingphoto Posted at 2016-1-6 10:50
Since upgrading to 1.6 my photos look like 5mp shots. Very blurry. Interestingly, the video looks fi ...

Same here. Still images look very crappy.
2016-1-6
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-6 00:33
During video do you have blurred video as well? 1.6 did not have any camera adjustments.

Hi Ken,

I actually just did an export of a video that I took, and I am seeing the same blurry image. It is sharper towards the bottom, but the top is very blurry. The link to that video is here:
Test

Keep in mind this was shot at 1080p60fps and exported in full resolution (15sec clip ~1GB)
2016-1-6
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

Hey guys, here is a 4:3 picture I took of essentially the same video above. Notice the sharpness of the billboard and brick building in comparison to the skyline and the buildings to the upper left of the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjybxfga6b4ywcc/DJI_0166.jpg?dl=0
Keep in mind this is totally unprocessed. I left it this way to show that my camera simply isnt focusing correctly, nothing to do with sharpness in post.
2016-1-6
Use props
j_louey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 623743 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I did a video shoot today. It is very blurry for me too. I checked to make sure I was not on 1080 a couple of times. It was a lot sharper before, can you please have a look at the results before releasing!
2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-6 00:33

Can you take a look at the latest photo I uploaded and provide your thoughts?
2016-1-7
Use props
QBK
lvl.1

United States

Okay, this thread finally convinced me to sign up for a forum account (after lurking for a few months).  So, hi!

I'm also experiencing blurry / unsatisfying blurry photos and videos.  However, it hadn't occurred to me (until I saw this thread) that it might be firmware-related.  Why?  Because I just started flying again after an RMA.  

My P3P's Lightbridge module died in September.  I finally got around to RMAing it around Christmas, and started flying again last week.  DJI replaced the camera with an new one, and upgraded the firmware from 1.2 to 1.5.  I went ahead and upgraded to 1.6 after I got it back.  So, when I compare my old and new images, I've got three variables that changed:
1.  New camera module (could be a bad lens).
2.  New firmware (could cause vibrations).
3.  Much colder weather (I jumped straight from 50+ F in September to 15 F in January)

I had the frame vibration issue when I first started flying, but I thought I'd fixed that by reducing my gains to ~80%.  That said, there might still be some high-frequency vibration during flight (which would be the most likely to cause blurriness, especially since some of my blurry shots are at high shutter speeds like 1/350).

So, I'm trying to track down the cause -- if it's a bad camera module, I need to RMA it again.  And it's frustrating, because I get different results flight to flight (I did some test shots that are almost acceptable, but all of my "real" flights produce bad images).

Questions:
1.  Has anybody else seen variation (in the amount of blurriness) from flight to flight?
2.  Does anybody else perceive that all these shots are significantly sharper on the right side, especially toward the lower right corner?  That's what I'm seeing on mine, and it makes me suspect either (1) a misaligned lens, or (2) temperature issues.  I can't think of any reason why firmware / vibration would cause that!
2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

QBK Posted at 2016-1-7 23:15
Okay, this thread finally convinced me to sign up for a forum account (after lurking for a few month ...

I am with you on the sharpness being best in the bottom right corner.

Before I RMA, I am going to downgrade to 1.5 and give that a shot. To the best of my knowledge I am not getting any vibration, but I will need to maybe check again.

The thing that I cant wrap my head around, is even with vibration, shouldn't the whole image be blurry? Why would just one portion of the photo/video be blurry?

Also, the other video/photos that I took were on Christmas day when it was 56F, and these images I am showing here are from about 25-30F
2016-1-7
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the light is fairly low in all these example shots, the camera isn't great in low light in my experience particularly without adjusting exposure so maybe that is part of the issue here?
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

crbalch Posted at 2016-1-7 23:05
Can you take a look at the latest photo I uploaded and provide your thoughts?

Ya, i see that. You can call tech support and have them look at the photo and they will issue an RMA. If it was always like that then I'm sure it would be covered under warranty. But if it was caused by a hard landing then it started it would be up to repair if it would be a warranty repair or not. They can go through the flight data to see if you had a hard landing or not so it's totally up to them.
call 818-235-0789
2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

rskardon Posted at 2016-1-7 23:24
One thing worth bearing in mind is that the light is fairly low in all these example shots, the came ...

Its much more out of focus on the top left vs the top right, so exposure really doesnt have anything to do with it at that point right? I get that sharpeness would be different overall, but exposure doenst control the focus point on these cameras?
2016-1-7
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

One other thought, presumably you're holding the unit for the inside shot, that would rule out vibration as the cause of the issue... seems more likely a poorly calibrated lens? perhaps the unit took a knock whilst in transport if this wasn't the case before?
2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

rskardon Posted at 2016-1-7 23:35
One other thought, presumably you're holding the unit for the inside shot, that would rule out vibra ...

In looking back at my other photos and videos I do see the same out of focus areas as I do today. I simply didnt notice them as much because they were on bright sunny days, and I think I was a little bit more excited the day I got it.

When going through the other photos and videos I have from 1.5, they have the same issue. I transported it with the gimbal lock, and the hardshell backpack case, so I know that is not the cause. I also have never had a hard landing so am positive that is not the issue either.

I will put up a few more uploads from unprocessed shots when I first got the camera as well.
2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-7 23:25
Ya, i see that. You can call tech support and have them look at the photo and they will issue an R ...

Ok, I submitted for an RMA, just waiting for the shipping label right now.
2016-1-7
Use props
dreinh
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone out there upgraded to 1.6 (and/or 1.5) with no problems?
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dreinh Posted at 2016-1-7 23:52
Has anyone out there upgraded to 1.6 (and/or 1.5) with no problems?

I have the older P3 Pro and I'm totally perfect on 1.6. 1.5 was perfect too.
A few have reported vibrations but you can lower the gains and that should eliminate them IF you even get them.
2016-1-7
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 00:01
I have the older P3 Pro and I'm totally perfect on 1.6. 1.5 was perfect too.
A few have reported v ...

What do you mean by "older P3 Pro".

What is the newer P3 and how do I know if I received an older version or not?
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

crbalch Posted at 2016-1-8 04:34
What do you mean by "older P3 Pro".

What is the newer P3 and how do I know if I received an older  ...

Here's how you can tell the difference.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... al-advanced-motors1
2016-1-7
Use props
bgd.teo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111719 ft
Romania

I also have this issue from 1.5 firmware onwards. centre of the photos are blurry.
I even tried putting the drone on a table and taking a photo inside the house and it's still blurry.

never did a hard landing, never hit the drone.

2016-1-20
Use props
flying eye
lvl.1

Australia

I have the fw problem on my p3a, what should I be doing after trying to fix with gain reduction without any success

at the moment I have a sexy white paper weight  
2016-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules