Too Cold to Fly
2024 5 2016-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

1.6 firmware installed and now the motors will not start when battery temp is below 15C (58F).  I was aware of the cold weather "fix" in the new fw but I expected the cold weather temp to be lower than 15C to block motor start. If in the field and you had really cold batteries it may take a while to warm batteries to 15C.

It would be better if the DJI *No* Go app at least allowed motor start to warm the batteries. Come on DJI, 15C?  
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yes, but the main reason is to protect your battery and aircraft. You also can use battery heater to warm it up
2016-1-5
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

I fly in -20 here and no problem but i keep my spare batteries inside my winter jacket.
2016-1-5
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-5 11:04
yes, but the main reason is to protect your battery and aircraft. You also can use battery heater to ...

Well ... in that case ... if it is for protection ... maybe just keep the motors blocked ... period,
No more crashes ... ;)
2016-1-6
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

At freezing temperatures, voltage becomes dangerously low. It is not DJIs fault. It is the way Li-batteries work.

However, I don't think it is set that high of a temperature. 15 Celsius?

I just flew mine yesterday and it was like 18 Degrees Fahrenheit outside.
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

teamnest1 Posted at 2016-1-6 08:31
At freezing temperatures, voltage becomes dangerously low. It is not DJIs fault. It is the way Li-ba ...

Very true, that is how all lipos work.

Dave
2016-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules