Something wrong with my camera or is this the quality?
3334 53 2016-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jgilchristmusic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172024 ft
United States

I took this one this morning (processed):

2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

QBK Posted at 2016-1-8 02:51
Interesting discussion.

The photo posted in #28 by crbalch looks a lot like the ones I've been ge ...

Temperature is a possibility because the camera is one piece of aluminium, the focus could be changing as the barrel contracts in the cold.  These things are very critical because unlike a point & shoot with the same sensor & lens, this camera has no way to compensate due to it's fixed focus lens.

It might be focused too close, which would explain why brick walls come out ok.  If it was focused further out, it wouldn't get noticeably better or worse with changes in temperature (there's not much difference between focusing at 10m or 100m).

Having one side blurry & one side sharp sounds like a de-centred lens, made worse by the short focus setting.
You could test it by placing the drone 6" off the floor with the camera pointing slightly down, so you can see very close up & infinity (about 4 metres or 13ft away).  The sharpest point should be infinity.

2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

jgilchristmusic Posted at 2016-1-8 04:37
I took test shots on the ground while holding the drone in my hand and everything seems normal. My c ...

If while holding the Phantom and it gets clear photos but while flying it doesn't then its a vibration issue. Since it's new that shouldn't be happening. You only have two of the pins in the gimbal vibration dampeners right and did not put the spare ones in? also look at each corner and make sure the dampeners are installed correctly.
You have not had a really hard landing have you?
Try the other set of props, if all else fails then call support for a warranty repair.
2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jgilchristmusic Posted at 2016-1-8 21:04
I took this one this morning (processed):

That looks good
2016-1-8
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

There have been some threads about the camera having to adapt to cold temps before shooting, otherwise the image can be blurry in certain parts of the frame, often the center.
2016-1-8
Use props
jgilchristmusic
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 16:14
If while holding the Phantom and it gets clear photos but while flying it doesn't then its a vibra ...

Should I put the spare pins in? As of now I haven't. I have not had  a real hard landing thus far. I seem to be getting better photos now. Certainly I think it is true that the camera has to adjust to the cold as well. I am going to try the unused set of props and see if I notice any difference as well. Overall I am enjoying the drone without question.
2016-1-8
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-8 12:11
Temperature is a possibility because the camera is one piece of aluminium, the focus could be chang ...

I like this idea (not sure that it's correct, but I like it).  However, the thermal mass of the camera isn't all that large.  It would seem that 5 minutes or so in the cold would get everything stable.  Now, it may be that the cold 'focus' and 'warm' focus is different.

I still think that people are being a bit too hard on these cameras.  They are rigged as video.  They have a cheap little lenses.  They are probably decentered to some degree.  I would agree that the only way you're going to get this answered is to try the old brick wall technique.  It has served photographers well for years, even if it has engendered endless Internet discussions.

I'm getting some spare cameras that I plan on dissassembling and trying to hand focus the lens and trying some different lenses but -

- I would shoot RAW and realize that you have to sharpen a RAW file for your desired output.
- Keep up the shutter speed, but try to keep ISO less than 400 (noise takes over)
- Watch your histogram.  Don't let the camera under expose (increases noise).

I've been basically happy with my still shots.  They are by no means as good as the high end Nikon gear I have but physics is physics.   A single piece of glass isn't going to be as good as a high end camera, ever.
2016-1-8
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rogergolub Posted at 2016-1-9 02:15
I like this idea (not sure that it's correct, but I like it).  However, the thermal mass of the ca ...

All that said, you'll never get the best results without a good starting point, since final quality is the sum of all its parts, so if the lens isn't up to scratch it needs sorting first.

I agree, the brick wall test is the best test for these cameras.  Just make sure the camera is at least 4 metres away from the wall so any slight errors in squareness won't affect the results.  It's also infinity with this lens, which is where it's optimised for.

Eventually I'll test as many parameters as possible with mine to see what I have & see what variations there are, such as temperature, vibrations, shutter speeds, ISO's etc.

Once it's out of warranty I may even look at different lenses http://www.peauproductions.com/collections/dji-phantom-3-lenses
It's interesting to note that these lenses are interchangeable with GoPro Hero cameras.
2016-1-9
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-5 22:25
There is most probably a way to adjust the back-focus on the lens, as that is most likely the cure t ...

http://www.peauproductions.com/collections/dji-phantom-3-lenses
Actually, my GoPro needs adjusting as it focuses far to close. Now it's out of warranty...
2016-1-9
Use props
jgilchristmusic
lvl.2
United States

Here is a much less processed version:

2016-1-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-9 23:23
http://www.peauproductions.com/collections/dji-phantom-3-lenses
Actually, my GoPro needs adjusting  ...

If your GoPro is out of warranty, then it is perhaps a good time to consider changing the lens for one that distorts less. Peau Productions sell replacement lenses and they also have a video to show how it is done. At the very least you might take a look as it explains how to get the back-focus right: http://www.peauproductions.com/c ... incoCFRUGvAodTPEPLQ
2016-1-9
Use props
lalvar40
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168540 ft
United States

jgilchristmusic Posted at 2016-1-9 08:48
Here is a much less processed version:

hi all, I am also worried about stills  quality of my P3P ( video is great though)..P3 pictures seem worse than my P2V+...how can I know if a have a defective camera. Here are some samples. Pls, let me know any observation. Is this the quality you are getting, or I have a defective camera? Thanks in advance,

my post at phantompilots
2016-1-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lalvar40@gmail. Posted at 2016-1-11 13:24
hi all, I am also worried about stills  quality of my P3P ( video is great though)..P3 pictures se ...

The shots look normal to me, try adding a bit of sharpening in post if you think they are soft.
2016-1-10
Use props
lalvar40
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168540 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-10 21:32
The shots look normal to me, try adding a bit of sharpening in post if you think they are soft.

thanks..yes I can sharpen them in Photoshop, no issue there...I am asking you all since I hate to go thru the 6 weeks DJI store process for repair....but I want  to be sure I don't miss the warranty period. The video of my new P3P is just astounding...wish the pictures were the same...
2016-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules