Blurry Backgrounds on P3P
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
freerider146
lvl.1

United States

Hi,
     Was curious as to what would make the distant backgrounds on landscape shots blurry on the P3P? I have noitced on all my photos that some of the images are real sharp up close but the background is somewhat blurry. I know these things are not DSLR's but it has me wondering why it produces a sharp image in the foreground and then the background beind is unsharp. Here are a couple sample images. Thanks!
DJI_0024copy.jpg
DJI_0069copy.jpg
2016-1-6
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

You need to upload bigger photos, say 1200 x 900 pixels
2016-1-6
Use props
freerider146
lvl.1

United States

Here hope these work better. I changed them to 1200 x 900. The top one was 4:3 the bottom one was shot at 16:9. Both on manual settings.
DJI_0024copy.jpg
DJI_0069copy.jpg
2016-1-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I don't see any real difference between the foreground and background in those images. In any event, it is a JPEG image, by nature it compresses the image and reduces resolution, that's part of the penalty for obtaining smaller file sizes. Even uploading it to enable you to post here introduces yet another bout of compression. Try using the raw mode, DNG and see if it looks better to you.

You will need to process the DNG in Photoshop or Lighroom or other capable image editor, but when you have tweaked it to get the best looking image, add a little shqarpening to it, it will look much better, just make sure the sharpening is done last.

As someone point out recently, the whole camera costs less than many intermediate class lenses for DSLRs, so don't expect miracle shots.
2016-1-6
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

They look normal to me too...distant objects normally look softer due to atmospheric effects & haze between them & the camera.  Best times are on cold mornings with the sun out of the frame. The sun just causes flare which lowers contrast making it look even softer.
2016-1-6
Use props
freerider146
lvl.1

United States

Ok thanks for the responses! I plan on adding a Polar Pro filter on my next flight as well. I will switch to Raw and use photoshop CS6 in post processing. See what I get for results from there. Interesting point on the atmospheric effects and haze. I forget that some of those mountain ranges are 15+ miles away so a lot can happen in between there and the drone. I was also flying a tad below the operating temp on that last photo. I was flying at -5 Celsius on the last one. It was mostly clear skies but I did notice a tiny bit of ice forming on the low part of the lens upon landing. Brought it back in and warmed it up.
2016-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules