FAA Registration Question
12Next >
3911 40 2016-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

Does anyone know who exactly has the authority to ask for your registration number? For instance, can a local law enforcement officer or park ranger ask you to see the registration number on your drone if he sees you flying and wants to make sure you're registered? Or is that only something an FAA agent can ask for? I've read through the FAA's rules for registration but can't seem to find anything answering that question. As an aside, I did find their estimate of the cost of their little registration scheme. $21.2 million over 5 years. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why does it cost $21.2 million to maintain a little website and database to hold registration information for 5 years? That seems kind of...insane.
2016-1-7
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

I've heard from a friend that any authority has the right to ask you for your registration number.
2016-1-7
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

"Does anyone know who exactly has the authority to ask for your registration number? For instance, can a local law enforcement officer or park ranger ask you to see the registration number on your drone if he sees you flying and wants to make sure you're registered? Or is that only something an FAA agent can ask for? "

Doubt you will get a definitive answer on that. But does the answer really matter?

If a police officer or park ranger in a park ask you, are you going to argue with him/her? I guess you could be like those people on YouTube and get into a back and forth. Is it really worth it? They can usually play the same game... If you give them a hard time (right or wrong) they can do so right back at you. Are you going to physically stop them from confiscating your quad? Do you have the time and money to fight them in court to prove your are right? I am completely against the registration process. Still, you have to be very careful when playing "lawyer" with a cop.

"Maybe I'm missing something here, but why does it cost $21.2 million to maintain a little website and database to hold registration information for 5 years? That seems kind of...insane."

That's an easy answer - "government." They overpay for everything, it's what they do.
2016-1-7
Use props
CollinK
lvl.1

United States

When I fly around a lot of people or in parks, especially state parks, I always make it known that i'm "legal" to fly. Last summer i spent a lot of time flying in state parks so the first thing i did was head to the ranger station and give them my information and just let them know that I'm flying around the park, a heads up. Funny thing is they really didn't care. The ranger looked at my Phantom, asked me how i liked it, picture quality, etc. Same thing with the local police. Had an officer come up to me and ask me how much one costs. As far as i'm concerned the only group who really cares about licenses and registration is the FAA. Seems like every other authority either embraces them or doesn't care. The likelihood that a cop will swing around if he sees you flying and ask for registration is very unlikely, at least in my experience.

The government excels at spending tax payer money. If the recreational registration site costs $21.2 million to run then i can't wait to see what the price tag is on the commercial registration site coming out soon. I know for a fact that money must not go to support staff because i emailed them a week ago with a quick question on commercial registration and have yet to hear back from them.
2016-1-7
Use props
willywo
New

United States

Check out these links on the FAA website (Law Enforcement Guidance):

GUIDANCE http://www.faa.gov/uas/regulatio ... PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf
REFERENCE http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enfor ... O_guidance_card.pdf
FAQ's http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enfor ... nforcement-FAQs.pdf
2016-1-7
Use props
willywo
New

United States

Q:  Must I cooperate with any Federal, State or local law enforcement officer if asked to provide proof of registration?
A:  Yes, a Certificate of Aircraft Registration must be carried by the operator of the UAS and made available to law enforcement and/or the FAA upon request. If you are asked to show your certificate of
registration, you can show it electronically, you do not need to print the certificate.
2016-1-7
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

danieldust Posted at 2016-1-7 16:36
I've heard from a friend that any authority has the right to ask you for your registration number.

If a person has not committed a crime and is not suspected of committing a crime,  that person does not have to show the cops anything.
2016-1-7
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-7 18:20
If a person has not committed a crime and is not suspected of committing a crime,  that person does ...

LOL. How does that usually work out for you?
2016-1-7
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-7 20:41
It works out just fine there slick.  If you aren't committing a crime, then you don't have to talk ...

Why would I want to do that? I dont live in the USA. Bet you get nothing but smiles and happy from the cop when you tell him to piss off. You dont do it and you know it. Just yap.
2016-1-7
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

so here it is guys

if a law enforcement officer approaches you and asks you any questions, you simply respond by asking them, "are you detaining me for any reason" if the answer is NO, and it usually is, you DO NOT need to respond to them in any way shape or form. you can simply ignore them, walk away from them, or ask them to leave you alone.

if they try to do anything about it, it is a violation of Article 18 of the American civil rights act. Punishable by 25 years Minimum to the law enforcement officer involved.

Bryan is also right, you can legally resist an unlawful arrest up to and including deadly force. (here in the USA). this has been proven in court many times and even ruled on by the US supreme Court.

In the Police academy and in law school, they Drilled that into us time and again. Inform the suspect of what is gong on, you they can Shoot and Kill you and they are in the right. I do have to tell you that the last time I had a confrontation with two law enforcement officers, I had both of them in handcuffs (their own I might add) and hogtied on the ground before they knew what happened. had to get a friend of Mine who happens to be their supervisor to come pick them up. We retrained the young officers and they are better for it.

at the end of the day, its a dangerous world out there, for both us normal guys, and the cops we deal with ever once in a while. Remember, lots of times, they are more scared of you than you are of them. things happen to these officers ever day that generally makes them cranky. it happens to all of us. so try to be nice, they usually will return the favor. But if they try to be jack booted bullies, to be afraid to push back.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rawhide
New

United States

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-7 20:20
If a person has not committed a crime and is not suspected of committing a crime,  that person does ...

Good luck with that Elmer
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Rawhide Posted at 2016-1-8 05:19
Good luck with that Elmer

Read the comment above son.I don't expect a stupid sheep to know their rights.
2016-1-8
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

willywo Posted at 2016-1-7 18:31
Q:  Must I cooperate with any Federal, State or local law enforcement officer if asked to provide p ...

Not sure how I managed to miss that. Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
2016-1-8
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

How many people would you say own drones and will register?
$21.2 million / $5 = 4,240,000 people just to break even

2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-8 09:20

Yes you do have to show them your registration. Just because you haven't broken the law (as far as you know) you still need to show proof of registration.

And for the comment of police can't pull you over if you've done nothing wrong. Totally wrong, how do you know if you've done nothing wrong. What if your tail light is out and you didn't know it. What if there was a robbery and your car and you fit the description, and hundreds of other reasons to pull you over. Just because you think you haven't done anything wrong, doesn't mean the officer thinks the same.
Don't they always walk up and say "Do you know why I pulled you over" you say no, then they explain why.

If your out flying your drone at park, beach, wherever and police ask for your registration, why not show them and be nice.
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 16:22
Yes you do have to show them your registration. Just because you haven't broken the law (as far as  ...

With all due respect,where does it say that i have to show them an FAA registration ? Who was it that made up this rule if infact there is a rule? What law says that i have to go by their rules? Why would a cop want to see my FAA registration? FYI, i never mentioned a car.
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

jacmac64 Posted at 2016-1-8 16:10
How many people would you say own drones and will register?
$21.2 million / $5 = 4,240,000 people ju ...

Break even? Break even what?
2016-1-8
Use props
aaron6070
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259042 ft
United States

I'm pretty sure any authority but they will only say something if your flying recklessly or fast
2016-1-8
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

Ken

the reason a cop asks "do you know why I pulled you over" is they are trying to get you to incriminate yourself. We are trained to do that, and it is totally illegal for a police officer in the USA to do so. the best thing you could do is say so. then when you take them to court, the whole things gets thrown out when you say but they never read me my rights.

IT is illegal for the police to pull you over without what is referred to as Probable cause.  that is why Cops hate cell phone videos. it is showing them breaking the law. cases are getting thrown out because people are catching them.

if you remember a long time ago, there was a case about a guy named Rodney King. (showing my age there) 4 cops pulled Mr. King over, beat him to a pulp. They did not get in trouble because of any Rules or laws they broke, they went to jail for 25 years because of an Art 18 Violation. They pulled him over without a reason.  So what I am saying is very real. Just because you are driving a car, Carrying a Gun, or flying a drone. if they cops don't have cause to Detain you, then you don't have to show them anything. That's the LAW and the way it is. tried in court, and done.

you see these videos on You tube all the time. Oh by the way, this pisses the cops off all the time. Just be nice and not threatening. get it on camera if you can, or audio recording in the least. when the cops approach you, start recording. I have installed video surveillance in my car and it has so far gotten 2 deputy sheriffs fired, and one thrown in jail. and that has only been in the last 6 months.  Got me out of 3 illegal issued tickets.

However fly safe.  
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-9 10:51
No you DON'T have to show them your registration, the FAA "RECOMMENDATIONS" for law enforcement... ...

I totally disagree.
If you ever are flying anywhere on public property and an officer politely comes up to you and asks for your registration and you explain your right PLEASE video that with your phone for me. I would really like to see how that interaction goes..

Being nice and courteous to everyone makes life easier (at least to me it does).
Are you the kind of guy that if someone accidentally cuts you off on the freeway, you chase them down?
If so, life is short being happy and not complaining about everything causes less stress and prolongs life.
At least that's how I am.
Honestly, my major pet peeve is when someone throws a cigarette butt out the window. At a stop sign, there's been so many times where I want to get out and pick it up and throw it back in their car. And there's been times where I had a bad day that I've done that before, so I have my flaws too.
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 22:11
I totally disagree.
If you ever are flying anywhere on public property and an officer politely com ...

"Being nice and courteous to everyone" is one thing. Bowing down to be stepped on is another.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-7 22:19
Actually.. I have.  And if you don't want to learn about what rights we have afforded here, then yo ...

I guarantee i  know far more than you think. That is why I laught at your type. Pseudo rebels. Yap a lot but cower when the time comes. Does the ashphalt still scrape your knuckles?

When you get a chance, compare your situation to pretty much any other civilized country and note where you're placed.

Done  with you now. Take care.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 14:22
Yes you do have to show them your registration. Just because you haven't broken the law (as far as  ...

Elmer Fudd was previously posting as Rebel. He was banned for his posts. Elmer is the same person bragging how the forum operators will never keep him out. He is best ignored like most trolls. Actual facts elude him
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

cacollins0220 Posted at 2016-1-9 11:11
Ken

the reason a cop asks "do you know why I pulled you over" is they are trying to get you to incr ...

I totally understand your position, all I am saying is if your nice to an officer pulling you over you'll have better consequences of the outcome.
And Rodney King, I was there in the LA when Reginald Denny got pulled out of his vehicle. That was the day I did not listen to the instructions police were giving me in fear of rioters catching me (long story)

Yes, there are bad officers out there and their ego pisses you off, but I believe the majority are good people.

Ok, no more off topic comments
I'm here to help you with your DJI product issues, not to give my personal opinons, so I apologize.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-8 17:01
With all due respect,where does it say that i have to show them an FAA registration ? Who was it th ...

Look Rebel, we all know that when the cops or any other authority ask you for whatever, you cower and give it to them. You can yap and pretend that you are some tough guy that would clobber a cop so you dont have to give your registration but we all know that is a load of dog doo.

Just give it a rest dude. We all know your type.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-8 20:33
I dont need to compare myself to anyone. I know where i live. I know wherw I stand. And i know the ...

Yes, sure you do. I love watching videos of people like you peeing down their legs when their idea of the law doesnt work out the way they planned.

Carry on dude. I will watch for you on youtube.

I wish they had a block poster function in this forum.
It would cut down on posts from folks like yourself and you noi Fudd.

HAND
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2016-1-8 22:36
Look Rebel, we all know that when the cops or any other authority ask you for whatever, you cower  ...

I smell dogshit. Ohh Rigworker is here.
2016-1-8
Use props
pe9999
lvl.1

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-7 21:40
Negative.   The only way a local PD can ask for your registration information would be if you were b ...

If you are not white, you better have paper proved that you are not an illegal alien,
http://nation.time.com/2012/09/0 ... -ask-papers-please/
2016-1-8
Use props
pe9999
lvl.1

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-8 20:49
Sorry bud... But you are completely wrong.

I think you are. just asked those persons shot by the police. it is better to cooperate than risk endanger your life.
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2016-1-8 22:33
Elmer Fudd was previously posting as Rebel. He was banned for his posts. Elmer is the same person  ...

Practice what you preach and ignore me.
2016-1-8
Use props
gurm70
lvl.1

United States

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-7 17:20

You are correct but no sense opening ones self up to additional harassment by being an ass
2016-1-8
Use props
pe9999
lvl.1

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-8 21:56
Its all about your demeanor my friend. You can politely ask them to piss off.

I'm an asian living in usa for 40+ years. I know piss off the cop can result in bad way. I had friends threw in jail just by gaving the cop a bad look.
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

gurm70 Posted at 2016-1-8 23:17
You are correct but no sense opening ones self up to additional harassment by being an ass

Theres no need to be an ass. Just be polite and exercise your rights.
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-9 12:25
What were they charged with?

We're all getting off topic of the thread, including myself.
Let's please not post off topic comments in this thread anymore.
Start another thread if you want to talk about other things.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-8 20:45
I smell dogshit. Ohh Rigworker is here.

You are vewy vewy lame.

Nice to see the name suits your intellectual level.

Now why dont you go play with your pal.

Unless you REALLY need to have the last word.
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-8 20:48
I thought you were done... yet i see your still hot at the keyboard. You amuse me.

Probably not nearly as much as your BS defiance entertains me.

I always get a laught out of your type.

Please carry on with more spew.  I will be sure to reead it...not!
2016-1-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Canada

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-1-8 20:53
Practice what you preach and ignore me.

Hard to ignore so much ignorance but i will give it a shot.
I can always come back if i need a good laugh.

How are your knuckles? Still scraping the ground when you walk?
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 23:40
We're all getting off topic of the thread, including myself.
Let's please not post off topic comme ...

ok                  
2016-1-8
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Does anyone know if I can provide "alternate" information when doing the FAA registration?  For example, can I put a PO box, or my buddies address/phone number?  The more I think about the registration the less I like having personable identifiable information (PII) on a public database.  I believe it is a violation of privacy to simply give out 3 pieces of PII, I mean an identity thief can do a lot of damage with a name, address and phone number.  I'm really conflicted here, I want to register to "do my part" to be on the right side of the law but I have a huge issue with any entity simply giving out my information.  If this was a private institution giving out PII we would probably have a great case for litigation so I'm hoping the gov't changes their stance. however if they opt to change in 1 direction they could easily opt to go back once I register...
2016-1-9
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I wouldn't want to be your "buddy" if you wanted to register with my personal information instead of yours. I would imagine falsifying your registration carries similar penalties to not registering at all. So just don't register if you are that worried.
2016-1-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules