Filters for Osmo
13491 26 2016-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

Anyone here got filters for their Osmo?
Playing around with the idea of getting some as I the sky often gets blowned out and over exposed

If so, which brand and what kind (polarizer or ND or PL+ND)?

2016-1-7
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Yes I have the ND16 filter. i think only the DJI X3 filters will fit.

If shooting outdoors in sunny light, the ND16 does improve the shot if you like to use slower shutter speeds, or just want a richer blue sky.
2016-1-7
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've ordered the ND8 and the ND16 filters from dji. I'm not sure how long they will take to arrive.
2016-1-8
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi,

ND filter will help in bright situations where you overexpose the entire image even with low ISO setting.
They can also improve the movie quality if they increase the shutterspeed of a single frame slightly faster than your recording frequency (e.g. 24fp <=> 1/25s shutter speed for a single frame).

What ND filters wil _not_ do is to handle the high contrast situation between ground / sky as you mentioned it.
For that you require a gradient filter! I have not found a dedicated gradient filterset for the Osmo yet. With round filters you are anyway unable to adopt the gradient height level of the filter to the horizon within your recording.

But you can try and order a fairly cheap set of square gradient filters with a mounting system and find out if you can get an adaptor ring for that mounting plate.
Then you can choose between different ND gradient filters and attach them so the gradient height level is within the horizon of your image just as you / your movie / the situation requires it.
2016-1-8
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

martin94b Posted at 2016-1-8 19:13
Hi,

ND filter will help in bright situations where you overexpose the entire image even with low IS ...

Hmm thou I think gradient filters will probably be hard to align when you are moving around rapidly correct?
2016-1-8
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
Germany

sdchew Posted at 2016-1-9 01:17
Hmm thou I think gradient filters will probably be hard to align when you are moving around rapidl ...

If your horizon goes up and down (your gimbal rotates up and down) a lot thats correct. If you have mainly lateral movement or gimbal turning right / left you are still fine with the gradient filter.

If you choose a fairly smooth gradient it still improves your image even when having up-down rotation.
2016-1-8
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Every inspire 1 polar pro kit fits with the Osmo. Best overall filter is PL/ND16 and on super sunny days or sunny days in winter (with snow redlecting the sun) PL/ND32 is my go to filter. Same with my inspire.
2016-1-9
Use props
jeff_kirkland
lvl.2

Australia

I got the DJI ND 16 and it seems ok. As mentioned, it's not going to do anything to improve the Osmo's dynamic range, but it will let you keep at a sensible shutter speed when shooting outdoors in bright light.
2016-1-9
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

POLARPRO FOR ME Wide range at Hobbymounts
2016-1-9
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

I´ve shoot a set of aileen-studio.com from ND8 till ND64 on ebay for 45$

and they fit perfect
2016-1-9
Use props
trip3980
lvl.2

United States

Look up B+W ND filters.  they are the best in the industry i have a 10 stop ND and have an aperture range of F4 if I want too.  might be too extreme for some but if you want the dept of field then I say get 10 stops ND.  8 stops may be more relaxed less aggressive.  Shooting out in sunlight tipicly gives you an Fstop range of F16 - F22 and F32 depending on the situation and camera settings.  But because the camera should almost always be set at a shutter of 48 - 50 for compensating 24fps and your ISO at 100 then your exposure adjustments are limited to the Fstop.  you could go to 30 FPS and shoot at a shutter of 60 but this won't be big improvements over stops maybe 1 or 2 stops.  If I am not mistaken I believe the zenmuse x3 camera always shoots wide aperture like F2 so you may be forced to use an ND filter as your exposure control.   
2016-1-12
Use props
trip3980
lvl.2

United States

m.friedl@a1.net Posted at 2016-1-9 22:32
I´ve shoot a set of aileen-studio.com from ND8 till ND64 on ebay for 45$

and they fit perfect  ...

while it may be cheep it doesn't mean the glass is good.  B+W is the best.  the quality difference is pretty big with cheep filters vs pro filters
2016-1-12
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

@trip3980,

Well, i use PolarPro on my P3 so i knew what to use and as i mentioned i shoot them used on ebay for $45.-

Normal Cost without Tax Customs and Shipping comes to €95.-

Do you think that´s cheap?

May be for you another Type of Filters feel better, but that must be not the Truth.

Also if you write such a Nonsense about thoose Filters try to get more Informations about it !

Would recommend to google for it -

Mike
2016-1-12
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is an in-expensive one that looks interesting and cost effective($19.99)
Can adjust filter
2016-1-12
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

^ Nice find, good review.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

BIGDZ Posted at 2016-1-13 13:04
Here is an in-expensive one that looks interesting and cost effective($19.99)
Can adjust filter
htt ...

Nice filter.
2016-1-13
Use props
Ced007
lvl.1

Switzerland

Interesting. Where can we find this filter?
2016-1-21
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

martin94b Posted at 2016-1-8 01:13
Hi,

ND filter will help in bright situations where you overexpose the entire image even with low IS ...

Polar Pro makes a set of gradient filters that fit the DJI X3 Camera, so both the Osmo and Inspire X3.  You can find them here
https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... e1-gradient-filters
2016-1-21
Use props
feethea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 387940 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought the Polar Pro set for my P3Pro only to find that I tended to use the 8 and 16 ND filters most of the time. So when I bought the Osmo I limited myself to these two buying the DJI ones from my local DJI dealer here in the UK - Quadcopters UK. They are well built, fit perfectly and do the job just fine.
2016-1-21
Use props
robmar555
New

Australia

martin94b Posted at 2016-1-8 21:13
Hi,

you can use round graduated filters but you have to move the camera into the right position for the grad effect, of course moving the filter in a holder of some sort is better, I have owned Lee filter systems and the nisi 150mm system, I think dji are wrong to use a proprietary thread for the filters, I would much rather use BW or on the cheap side NISI filters, cheers.
2016-5-15
Use props
robmar555
New

Australia

sdchew Posted at 2016-1-9 10:17
Hmm thou I think gradient filters will probably be hard to align when you are moving around rapidl ...

Grad filters are generally used for stills, or if the camera is not moving, of course if you move the camera up or down the grad line will move as well, horizontal panning would be ok if there are no tall buildings or trees that will be in both the top half of the shot and the bottom half.
2016-5-15
Use props
robmar555
New

Australia

trip3980 Posted at 2016-1-13 04:41
Look up B+W ND filters.  they are the best in the industry i have a 10 stop ND and have an aperture  ...

Do BW filters fit the osmo? hope so, am new to this camera.
2016-5-15
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft
United States

Love my variable ND filter and CPL filter from Freewell for my Osmo..
2016-5-15
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>

robmar555@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-16 07:38
Do BW filters fit the osmo? hope so, am new to this camera.

Hey Rob,

I don't think BW has a filter for the Osmo X3 camera, I believe they do for the X5
We have a comparable filter to BW glass: PolarPro-DJI OSMO Cinema Series Filters
I use them all the time on my Osmo X3 and have had great results, the glass is multi-coated and has a very low refractive index.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Jeff
2016-5-16
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8748281 ft
Uruguay

PolarPro Posted at 2016-5-16 20:15
Hey Rob,

I don't think BW has a filter for the Osmo X3 camera, I believe they do for the X5

B+W 37mm fits perfect in reverse position (in relation to regular camera lenses) because of the male thread of the X3.The DJI lens cap also fits perfectly
2016-6-16
Use props
jmcadory
lvl.1
United States

I picked up a variable ND from Ritz Gear via Amazon that has worked quite well and is pretty inexpensive.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016-6-17
Use props
ChrisNL 8
lvl.1

Netherlands

I am planning to get a Variable ND filter and a graduated blue filter from PGY once I pick up the osmo+ this weekend.

Does anyone know if the Osmo+ and the Phantom 3 pro have different filters? I hope not
2017-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules