Anyone using a Nvidia K1 ?
1630 10 2016-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vickersian64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57467 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, was considering purchasing a Nvidia K1 and was wondering if anybody out there who has one and flys with it has encountered any problems. Thanks.
2016-1-8
Use props
jimmy3dd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43091 ft
United States

I got one last week after having problems with the video feed in an ipad mini 2. The K1 has a great video feed in comparison. In bright sunlight, however the K1 requires the the use of a sun hood. Also be aware that if your tablet ships with Android 5 and you upgrade to 6, the K1's internal compass does not work.
2016-1-8
Use props
vickersian64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57467 ft
United Kingdom

jimmy3dd Posted at 2016-1-8 14:34
I got one last week after having problems with the video feed in an ipad mini 2. The K1 has a great  ...

Thanks for that Jimmy, What version is 5 and What version is 6 ?
2016-1-8
Use props
jimmy3dd
lvl.3
United States

vickersian64 Posted at 2016-1-8 10:44
Thanks for that Jimmy, What version is 5 and What version is 6 ?

5 is lollipop i believe, and 6 is marshmellow.
2016-1-8
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I, too, have both the Nvidia K1 and the original Shield.....both work quite well performance-wise, I'm very happy with them.

I put a 'anti-glare' screen protector on them.  Helps a LOT with relfelction outdoors, but as with most tablets, the brightness/crispness of the screen is a little dampened by the protector.  I, however, find the lack of glare a LOT more of a bonus than the brightness/clarity reduction.
2016-1-8
Use props
jimmy3dd
lvl.3
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-1-8 11:55
I, too, have both the Nvidia K1 and the original Shield.....both work quite well performance-wise, I ...

Do you not have to use a hood in bright sunlight then?   I may have to look into these if so.
2016-1-8
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimmy3dd Posted at 2016-1-8 12:27
Do you not have to use a hood in bright sunlight then?   I may have to look into these if so.

Yup...hood is definitely necessary, too..

Got mine from ebay...only slight modification necessary to get the cable port hole to align, but nice hood and fits the EXTRA wide footprint of the K1/Shield b/c of the front-facing speakers on the sides.  It also folds flat which is very nice for transport:

7-in sunshade hood

A little pricey, but here is one specificly made for the dimensions of your shield:
Shield Sunshade
2016-1-8
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 638474 ft
United States

jimmy3dd Posted at 2016-1-8 06:34
I got one last week after having problems with the video feed in an ipad mini 2. The K1 has a great video feed in comparison. In bright sunlight, however the K1 requires the the use of a sun hood. Also be aware that if your tablet ships with Android 5 and you upgrade to 6, the K1's internal compass does not work.

@ jimmy3dd, The New K1 I just got TODAY was supposed to come with Android 5 "(Android 6.0 Marshmallow Over-The-Air Upgrade Available)" but I guess it auto updated to 6 when I started it because as I was going through ALL of the setting the About said Android 6.0.1
Can you tell me how to check the Internal Compass and what does/will that effect???
2017-1-19
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

KCadby Posted at 2017-1-19 17:17
@ jimmy3dd, The New K1 I just got TODAY was supposed to come with Android 5 "(Android 6.0 Marshmallow Over-The-Air Upgrade Available)" but I guess it auto updated to 6 when I started it because as I was going through ALL of the setting the About said Android 6.0.1
Can you tell me how to check the Internal Compass and what does/will that effect???

new ones will have the lastest released version
7.0 will be around soon for it.

let it do ALL updates androis and shield.

compass most likely fine as that is a year old post and many updates since

go play store and get Field Compass 360   App  if you are concerned.
it will let you set the tablet compass IF needed

good luck and have fun flying
2017-1-19
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

Sorry for long post but want to give all details of my experience(s)...

P3 Standard bought 3 weeks ago (before new Firmware was released and I didn't upgrade because I read about some people having issues)...
Zero mods to RC or AC (other than Gimbal Guard)...
DJI GO 3.1.2 didn't work worth a crap with my Old SLOW S3 phone and on top of that I had a very difficult time getting Maps to load (never did load so flew without maps the first couple+ days)...
...This was with very fast Net and Router...
I backed up to 2.8.3 because it uses GMaps = still had trouble loading maps but then it finally started loading maps fine...
Another plus was my phone liked 2.8.3 "a little bit better" but it was still obvious that I needed something MUCH better...lol...

I just got a New Nvidia Shield K1 today and LOVE it!!!
Set it up including turned off the Gaming App(s) I don't plan on using any time soon, Installed the latest DJI GO, turned on RC, P3, Tapped on WiFi and connected to P3 then opened GO, Camera View...
Everything worked fine accept I got a Compass warning (which didn't surprise me because I was inside with P3 on a Metal Framed table)...
This is still with original Firmware because 1: I'm still seeing too many posts about some issues after updating to 1.8.10 and 2: I believe in "changing only 1 thing at a time in case there are issues" and I wanted to test-fly with what I KNOW worked 100% no-issues...
Went to the closest Park and Rut-row, the K1 didn't want to WiFi with Drone???
It said obtaining IP, then "connecting" multiple times but didn't connect after at least 5-6 times of saying that...
I went through the "start procedure" 3-times = RC, AC, WiFI, and it finally connect and all was good after that...

I had reset Max Alt. and Dist. to low numbers at home just to be safe, (and test those settings again), I know I could have set to Learn but didn't, and all went perfect on the first Flight...
I then raised Alt. another 100Ft and Distance a few hundred = all good and working perfect, Plus I CAN SEE EVERYTHING LIVE "with detail" that I never had before
I only have one battery so far ($$$ priority being finally getting to Fly FPV first)
I never did try for Max Distance with my Dinosauras-Galaxis Phone because I couldn't see the P3 well enough and I wasn't going to try where I flew today because the park is in a "urban area".

I LOVE how Fast and sharp the K1 is = "Tiny" bit of Latency from Control to Video and that just has me wanting to Fly this bird more than I ever did before (which I didn't think was possible)...

So...I give Two Thumbs UP for the Nvidia Shield K1...
2017-1-19
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-1-19 18:03
new ones will have the lastest released version
7.0 will be around soon for it.

Thanx Kirk...
Shows how tired I was today...lol (been taking care of Very Ill Mother here for several months)...
JUST got a "Shield Software Upgrade" notice so gonna Tap on download now ;)
And mistake saying GO 3.1.2 when was 3.1.1...
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules