At what voltage should you be concerned?
659 3 2016-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Hi all,

Reading a lot of posts about critical voltage drops at what point when monitoring the voltage in flight do you typically head back to home? I realize the drone warns at 30% but what does that equate to in Volts?

Thanks,

R
2016-1-8
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

3.4 I believe I read is getting very close to the danger zone.

The problem that I have seen is that the battery% on the main screen does not always reflect reality.
I was at 60% once and the copter went into critical emergency landing mode.
(One of the battery cells had gone below 3.4v, whereas the other cells were much higher for some reason, must have been a charging issue)

So what people say to do is program one of the bottom remote controller buttons (c2?) to show up as your battery info screen in the app.
Doing that allows you to quickly see how each battery cell is doing, and if any are getting close to 3.4v. On the fly you can press a button, which is easier and faster than navigating to the batt screen in your app.

2016-1-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Wind and temperature also play a huge factor.  Temperature because the colder it is the faster those batteries are going to drop voltage. Wind is also a major factor , always do mini test returns to see how that wind is up at altitude.  A good indicator is when your phantomis  flying away from you going 38mph you know you are going downwind, a short way out I will test that wind, if I can  return only go say 8 mph, that is going to limit how far i go out.
Good cycling of batteries and proper discharging will give you long flight times as well.  Beau had an excellent suggestion with the back panel C1-2 buttons.  Always a good idea to monitor those cells individually.

I take my batteries down to 25 % rather than 30 to increase flight time.  I am always monitoring Temp, Wind, Volts and orientation of my bird.

Have fun, this is an awesome hobby and this technology is only something I dreaamed about as a kid.

Cheers Donnie

2016-1-8
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Thanks both, I will change the button as suggested and keep an eye on them throughout!
2016-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules