Camera/gimbal test
2147 14 2016-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Spent 10 minutes testing the camera today between showers, the aim of which was to establish the slowest practical shutter speed in mild windy conditions.  This was taken at 1/6 sec which I thought would be borderline or just plain blurry from vibration or motion of the drone in the wind.  I have to say it's pretty remarkable!  If you view the full size image (click the link) you'll see it's totally sharp.  Looks like I'll have to do it again because I didn't expect to get that slow without blur.

Camera settings: 1/6 sec, ISO100
Wind speed: 11.5mph, max gust: 20mph

http://nigelwilkinsphotography.com/images/DJI_0467-226223.jpg

DJI_0467-226223-2.jpg
2016-1-10
Use props
mrginhop
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for this. This is hopeful!
2016-1-10
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Gorgeous photograph!  Well done!
2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Nice sharing ! Thank you !
2016-1-11
Use props
mrginhop
lvl.1

United States

So what is the max wind speed you'd fly in for photos? I know DJI says don't fly in winds beyond 5 mph but what is people's real experience? Similarly lowest temp for safe flying?
2016-1-11
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mrginhop Posted at 2016-1-12 04:00
So what is the max wind speed you'd fly in for photos? I know DJI says don't fly in winds beyond 5 m ...

That needs testing & experience  to judge.  I have little with the Phantom, but I'm happy to try 20mph now, in ATTI mode.  If I won't do it in ATTI mode, I won't do it at all.  As far as taking photos is concerned the wind speed won't be the limit.  You can just use a faster shutter speed to compensate if needed & raise the ISO, depending on light levels.

5mph seems a bit low, I'm pretty sure it's higher than that.
2016-1-12
Use props
mrginhop
lvl.1

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-12 13:45
That needs testing & experience  to judge.  I have little with the Phantom, but I'm happy to try 2 ...

The challenge is doing low light photography (e.g. lighthouse right after sundown) & being able to keep the ISO for this device at max ISO 800 since the noise is soo bad on these cameras beyond 800. Also, I like shooting with a slow speed to soften the water movement as well as better catch the lightbeam from the lighthouse. So my question is how low can the shutter speed go while keeping ISO at 800 without motion blur from the P3A. I'll be trying all this out soon but just seeing what bothers have found. Thanks
2016-1-12
Use props
mrginhop
lvl.1

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-12 13:45
That needs testing & experience  to judge.  I have little with the Phantom, but I'm happy to try 2 ...

The challenge is doing low light photography (e.g. lighthouse right after sundown) & being able to keep the ISO for this device at max ISO 800 since the noise is soo bad on these cameras beyond 800. Also, I like shooting with a slow speed to soften the water movement as well as better catch the lightbeam from the lighthouse. So my question is how low can the shutter speed go while keeping ISO at 800 without motion blur from the P3A. I'll be trying all this out soon but just seeing what others have found. Thanks
2016-1-12
Use props
mrginhop
lvl.1

United States

mrginhop Posted at 2016-1-12 20:31
The challenge is doing low light photography (e.g. lighthouse right after sundown) & being able to  ...

Just had a thought. Does anyone know if these cameras or the gimbal have vibration reduction (VR) like on most digital cameras?
2016-1-12
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

mrginhop Posted at 2016-1-11 23:00
So what is the max wind speed you'd fly in for photos? I know DJI says don't fly in winds beyond 5 m ...

Actually the manual states max wind speed at 10 m/s or about 36 kmph( 22.5 mph) not 5 mph.
If using a fast shutter speed the higher wind still gets good results. Slower shutter gives a surreal effect if done right. Best to experiment and see what you can do. Its fun
2016-1-12
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mrginhop Posted at 2016-1-13 01:31
The challenge is doing low light photography (e.g. lighthouse right after sundown) & being able to  ...

Yes, same here.  I didn't like ISO800 much though so probably won't go that far.  It'll be interesting to see if carbon props make any difference in still conditions as well, as I'm told they run quieter, which implies smoother.

The camera doesn't have image stabilization built in.  You can be sure they'd market it if it did (& bump the price up).  The gimbal reduces vibration effects very well.
2016-1-13
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Went out today & managed some 2 second exposures, which is unbelievable especially as the wind was ~12mph!

Camera settings: 2.0 sec, ISO100
Wind speed: 12.2mph, max gust: 16.3mph

Full sized image

DJI_0590.jpg
2016-1-20
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

I can't find the post anywhere, but there was a post a couple days ago from someone who had done 3sec shots that still lokked great.

The gimbal does have image stabilization, just not on as many planes as typical in camera IS. If it didn't you would never be getting 2-3 second shots. The gimbal stabilizes roll on all three Axis, it just doesn't stablize forward/back side to side and up and down motion. You could however say that the drone itself stabalizes these movements via GPS when hovering, just no where near as effective or accurate as the gimbal or an in camera IS system.
2016-1-20
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-20 20:06
I can't find the post anywhere, but there was a post a couple days ago from someone who had done 3se ...

3 Seconds should be easy if the wind drops.  Any movement I had on longer exposures was due to the aircraft moving or rotating slightly rather than vibration (you can see the image trails are quite large).  8 seconds is feasible given the right conditions.
2016-1-21
Use props
mrginhop
lvl.1

United States

Good to know this. It does seem that the P3 can be used at 2-3 sec shutter speeds if carefully done. Hope to try even longer but when wind is way down.
2016-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules