Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Careful Around WIFI Access Points
879 15 2016-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cacollins0220
lvl.3
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

Guys

this is my first crash with my P3P.

it was a bright sunny day. everything was going well Untill I lost total Control of the P3P...

looking at the telemetry there was nothing wrong with anything that I could find Untill random signals started to be recieved ont he 2.4 Ghz band of the radio.

using a RF Sniffer I found that there were multiple 802.11A/B/C/N routers in the area that were trying to eat up the entire spectrup of the bandwith. There was also a Government GPS jammer working in the area.

so it was a lot of fun.
2016-1-11
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you, are you sure that you lost signal,? How much damage to your bird?did you consider doing the additional channels .  I did that and I fly on channel 28 and I am very pleased .  This would not help with loss of control as that is still locked to channels 13-20.    I guess you can only fly at another area.
Once again sorry for your mishap, on the brightside it looks as though it was at low altitude.

Cheers donnie

2016-1-11
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Although if your signal was being jammed, I highly doubt that would help. I always take a look at the frequencies and make sure they are not all jammed up before I fly. I know this doesn't help you now, and I'm sorry. Best of luck on repairs. Cheers donnie
2016-1-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

In any event it looks like you might have got away with one there, looks like you only went down a few feet, hope you can confirm the culprit and avoid future failures....
2016-1-11
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.3
United States

My bird only dropped about 2 feet on onto a very soft surface. Didn't even get dirty. as I was using Carbon Fiber Blades they exploded. 2 broke off and the bird went end over end. landed on its roof. as I saw the bird start to go down, I went running. got the motors shot down with a CSC in a matter of moment.

Repairs consisted of replacing all of the rotor blades. I had them on me. restarting the Bird and Off we went.

I did check the channels before I started. I saw them spike on my controller and then things started to move around. As all of you know, the Routers when they run into cross talk start to swing channels between all of the available channels available. nothing I could do about it. Just watch helplessly.

its important to note that this was NOT a DJI problem. NOTHING In my opinion could have forseen or changed what happened.

good news, No damage. and everyhthing went well. I just thought I would let everyone know what happened. It turned into a "Well that was interesting" kind of day.
2016-1-11
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

You said .. "There was also a Government GPS jammer working in the area"

How could you tell and what was it there for?
2016-1-11
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-11
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.3
United States

OK 2 questions to be answered......

how do I know about the GPS jammer..... cant talk about that. Lets just say I know what they do, how they do it, and when..... nuf said...

did I try it in NON GPS mode and manual. - Yes about 10 Min after the crash. worked OK. I also walked closer to the location so I overpowered the wifi signal. all OK.
2016-1-11
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

cacollins0220 Posted at 2016-1-12 12:41
OK 2 questions to be answered......

how do I know about the GPS jammer..... cant talk about that. L ...

I'm puzzled and a bit skeptical.
I can't imagine why any government would want to use such a thing, especially in a suburban situation.
I don't know how they work but if you are saying your Phantom was affected by one, unless they pulse on and off, how was it you had position holding and later you didn't?

How about posting a link to a healthydrones log for the flight so we can find out what really happened?
2016-1-11
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.3
United States

I did all of that.

we don't need to get into a big discussion, I have worked in communications for over 25 years and have done signal analysis.  

No worries. Just be careful when running in very populated WIFI areas. things get exciting.

have fun and fly safe.
2016-1-11
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

cacollins0220 Posted at 2016-1-12 00:04
I did all of that.

we don't need to get into a big discussion, I have worked in communications for ...

with respect you are the one that through out the "GPS jammer" and all that.

I have worked in communications since the early 1980's , so what!

why bring it up and then act all  "if I tell you I need to **** you "
silly in my view on your part,  esp if you TRULY are involved with such legitimately.

no worries,,,,,

BTW I fly in an area for over a year with hundreds of routers and ap's within blocks
2016-1-11
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-11
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-1-12 00:37
It was the GPS Jammer, people use them on leased vehicles and trucks especially when your company  ...

see how much easier  and reasonable that answer is.

thanks for it.
2016-1-11
Use props
stephengreenwal
lvl.1

United States

I would like to know how you determined that a "government GPS jammer" was working in the area? Do you live immediately next to a missile silo?
2016-1-17
Use props
stephengreenwal
lvl.1

United States

stephengreenwal Posted at 2016-1-17 04:44
I would like to know how you determined that a "government GPS jammer" was working in the area? Do y ...

But if you did lose GPS, you would still have had full control of your quadcopter in semi-manual ATTI mode.  But, if you has not previously flown in ATTI mode . . . you might not have known what to do.
2016-1-17
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Would like to have a look at your Signal Strength Map!
If you look at this one for instance, one of only two green places is around the hangar where a powerful WiFi access point is located

2016-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules