hot and cold pixels
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

The raw (DNG) still images from my P3A contain hundreds of very bright pixels, and some dark pixels.  It almost looks like 1-2 pixel sized lint, but no lint on the lens would be in focus, and lint on the sensor would appear enormous.   While hovering I snapped 3 pictures.  The slight copter drift ensured that the subject of the images don't quite line up, but the hot and cold pixels line up exactly.  About 1/4 of the overly-bright/dark pixels do not appear in all images.  Most do, at exactly the same X Y location.

Note, also, that any post-process sharpening (required for the flat raw image) makes these errors really stand out.  

I hope the attached images and annotations are clear.  These images are straight from the RAW image, with zero processing, and saved as PNG to preserve values.  The cropped images that do not indicate zoom in the description are original scale.  Look in the sky, at what appears to be stars.  Are other Phantom owners seeing the same thing?

resized original for reference

resized original for reference

Cropped original #1

Cropped original #1

Cropped #1 with minor sharpening

Cropped #1 with minor sharpening

all 3 images, cropped and blended with darken

all 3 images, cropped and blended with darken

cropped image 1, zoomed 200 percent, no resample

cropped image 1, zoomed 200 percent, no resample

cropped image 2, zoomed 200 percent, no resample

cropped image 2, zoomed 200 percent, no resample

cropped image 3, zoomed 200 percent, no resample

cropped image 3, zoomed 200 percent, no resample
2016-1-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

If they bother you, try using the DNG cleaner in the downloads section.  This is fairly normal for small sensors, especially as they get warm, which this one will due to it being switched on all the time.  Personally, I wouldn't bother as they're hardly visible.
2016-1-11
Use props
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-11 14:08
If they bother you, try using the DNG cleaner in the downloads section.  This is fairly normal for s ...

Thank you for pointing out DJI DNG Cleaner.  That worked great, and did not visibly muddy the rest of the image.  After doing an image diff (before minus after), and applying a threshold filter, it's really interesting to see what the cleaner "fixed" in areas where no obvious error exists, like in the trees where details are not visually indestinguishable from noise.
As for "hardly visible", I think we have different definitions.  ;)  I was going nuts and I'm happy to see it gone.  My wife and I have many cameras of diff types, and always use RAW when available.  I've never seen noise of this type before, at least not to a magnitude that stood out above the rest.   

2016-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules