Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Big No Fly Zone Around My House
4249 15 2016-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

Just recieved my P3S today.  I have the go app v2.5.  I updated my firmware.  It was dark by the time everything was done but I was checking stuff out and my app kept telling me I was in a no fly zone.  I live in the middle of now where.  Smith Valley, Nevada to be exact.  I thought maybe it was becuase I was indoors or something.  But when I zoomed out the map, I discovered I have a big red circle around my house.  Well, rather I'm at the edge of the circle.  It does not coincide with any NFZ on any other map.  Nearest one is a small airport about 20 miles away.

What gives?  Why do I have my own no fly zone?  What can I do the fix that?

2016-1-11
Use props
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

I lied.  I looked again and there's a whole bunch of red circles around me now that seem to coincide with airports.  They are all the same size as well...huge, like ten miles in diameter.  I have two airports near me.  One is private and the other is generally used for crop dusters but I suppose it's public.  In any case, they seem to be multiplying.

Is this the issue with v2.5?  Sucks if I've got a drone I can't fly at home considering the extremely rural nature of the area I live in.
2016-1-11
Use props
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

flyfishnevada Posted at 2016-1-11 21:30
I lied.  I looked again and there's a whole bunch of red circles around me now that seem to coincide ...

Excuse my ignorance.  I'm learning as I go.  I haven't even taken a flight and I've learned I'm within five nautical miles of an airport.  I've learned I probably need to call the airport and then accept responsibility for any bad things that might occur in order to be legal.

The question is will the app let me take off or will I have to drive half a mile to exit the ridiculously large radius around the airport just to enjoy my drone.  I'm having buyers remorse.  I should have bought the Springfield Armory 1911 with the money like I had planned.  I'm still allowed to shoot without asking permission.

Thanks for letting me vent.
2016-1-11
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

You should ask to fly in airport zone, but Your local authorities, according to Your local law, definately not DJI.
Flying is Your decision and disabling of Your device by a DJI, after Your purchase is very unfair.
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Pleaes confirm if you are in a No Fly Zone in this page : http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
2016-1-12
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-12 18:13
Pleaes confirm if you are in a No Fly Zone in this page : http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

If you are in a no fly zone, does that mean you can't fly there under any circumstances, or you have to acknowledge in the app that you realize you are in a no fly zone and accept the responsibility for anything that happens, then you can fly?

I'm confused.
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

ccbiggz Posted at 2016-1-12 19:25
If you are in a no fly zone, does that mean you can't fly there under any circumstances, or you ha ...

If you are in a Red area , you'll not be able to fly there under any circumstances . If you are in a Yellow area , you can unlock this place via DJI Go App  or website . If you are in a  Green area , you will get a warning and you can still fly in it with out any restriction .
2016-1-12
Use props
wsaund
lvl.2

United States

Hey FlyFish. Just wanted to give a wave to a fellow Jeep Brethren,
2016-1-12
Use props
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

wsaund Posted at 2016-1-12 05:28
Hey FlyFish. Just wanted to give a wave to a fellow Jeep Brethren,

Nice! [Jeep wave]  I got the Phantom to take video of my Jeep trips.  The aerial views are just so dramatic I couldn't not get one.

According to the DJI map and the "Don't Fly Drones Here," Map, the local airport isn't in a no fly zone.  But the Go App says it is and its red.  But the page where you can log your flight and affirm permission and all that at DJI has it as a yellow zone (actually they are all yellow on that map).  I might log a complaint with DJI.  I didn't plan to fly the drone around my house other than for practice anyway and I've got lot's of open airspace all around...I do live in Nevada.

I agree, DJI enforcing these zones is unfair.  If I'd have known, I might have gone with a different company.

Update:  This map:

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

Show my zone as an authorization zone instead of a no fly.  I'm trying the fix I've seen in other threads and hoping its a server error.  
2016-1-12
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Really bad that they build an airport near to your house ,
2016-1-12
Use props
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

I tried the fix detailed in some of the posts to no avail.  So I deleted the app and reloaded it to my iPhone.  Lo and behold, the massive no fly zones disappeared and were mostly replaced by much small ones.  The no fly zone around the local airport is gone completely.  I went for a flight in the front yard.  Yay!
2016-1-12
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

flyfishnevada Posted at 2016-1-12 14:32
I tried the fix detailed in some of the posts to no avail.  So I deleted the app and reloaded it to  ...

Wow , amazing that you can fly but dont fly high and be careful with the planes  , happen to me that i was flying around 350 meters of altitude to shot a mountain and  a helicopter pass  under my quad , unfortunately i didnt take video  but the helicoter was flying really close to the ground like 50 meters of altitude
2016-1-12
Use props
shelland81
New

I really wish there was an official supported map of all no fly zones, I'm pretty new to the larger quads and I'm finding it very confusing to figure out where it's safe to fly and where it's not.

At the moment I'm trying to folow the usual safety guidelines over distance from airports and helipads etc and using comom sense, the DJI map shows I'm totally clear to fly where I live and also in the field down the road that I like to fly in.

Another flight zone map I just found of my area shows I'm on the border of a hospital helipad but still in the clear "just" and another map has a 20km total no fly zone around around our tiny little local airport which blankets the entire reigon in a massive 40km wide no fly zone, (that's almost 25miles)... yet the massive airport in the city 100km down the road only has the standard 5mile or 8.5km exclusion zone wtf is going on here and which map am I supposed to follow?

Do you guys sort of feel like we're being trolled sometimes..... a little confirmed information would be great as I'm wanting to do the right thing and stay safe but the confusing information available in Australia isn't helping at all.
2016-9-12
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

@ flyfishnevada - the current version of the DJI Go App is 2.9.1 (IOS) and 2.9.0 (android)  - maybe an update will help
2016-9-13
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Or get a few Drone Buddies and start a citizen's action campaign to move the airport, so you can fly free.
Imagine all that empty space and runways you will then have!
2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules