Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Walkera g2d gimbal and phantom vision 2 please helpp
8374 6 2014-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LoveDon
New

United Kingdom

Ok , I couldn't afford the Zenmuse gimbal so opted for the Walkera g2D gimbal. Firstly , without an attachment this doesn't for the base of the Vision 2. So I ordered this past . All pics are attached.
The pics are of the connector on my phantom vision 2/the connector on my gimbal , and also a pic of the attachment I bought.

Firstly the power connector that runs from the gimbal is not compatable with the lead on the phantom vision 2. I have included a pic of the attachment on the phantom 2 . It's a nine pin connector .

I have plugged the pitch into the f2 slot on the board inside the phantom 2. I  have green lights on the gimbal so this must be a good thing.

How do I plug this gimbal Into my vision two?

Is there a 9 to 2 pin converter out there?

Can I power the gimbal some other way ?

Please help as I am so close , just need to connect this last bit! Has anyone attached a Walkera G2D to a phabton vision 2?

Vision 2 Base

Vision 2 Base

Power lead vision 2

Power lead vision 2

Power lead gumbal

Power lead gumbal

Attachment for gimbal

Attachment for gimbal
2014-12-31
Use props
marcolomma.gmai
New

Italy

hi! i have the same problem! ...how did you resolve it?
2015-2-4
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hi, sorry we have not used this kind of 3D gimbal before. And the P2 is not capable for most third party gimbals
The 8-pin cable can transport the Drone IMU signal with H3-3D Gimbal IMU, I am not sure whether your gimbal can work normally only under the power supply.
Anyway, you can use a multimeter to check which two pins has the voltage your gimbal need. If the voltage is exactly you want, you can welding them (REMIND, thus will be out of warranty)
2015-2-5
Use props
rixlumb1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I bought a phantom 2 and added a walkera G2D  gimbal.
It is OK to use and setup WITHOUT any remote pitch control connected from the Naza controller to the Gimble, as I have found that the signal on the pitch control line from the Naza system varies as the Quad is tilted (it uses the Quads levelling system signals) SO what we get is a 5 degree forward tilt on the Quad gives 10 degree reverse tilt on the Gimbal, the movement is doubled. Great Aye. I will check later if this feature' can be turned OFF in the system assistant, possibly the FPV check box.
But if you want to continue ... read on...
I fitted the Gimbal to the underside by drilling 2 small holes for the T shaped mounting plate and using 2 small nut/bolts
It looks like you have a mounting plate that fits the 4 mounting points at the front of the Quad, but does the Gimbal mounting plate fit this?
The Gimbal and camera can take power from the  4 way cable shown in your picture, download the phantom user manual V1.4, it has some wiring diagrams which mention this , fig 1.6,
You have green lights on the gimbal before you have the power lead connected because you are taking all the  power for the gimbal through the control line...NOT good !! , the motors when powered on can take 300 -500mA !! and may damage the Naza controller
Use the provided lead I mentioned above,  the positive is red and negative is a brown. Both browns are connected to battery negative (ground/common) so either one.
I bought off ebay/amazon  a few wire ended 2 pin short power leads that fit the red power socket coming from the gimbal lead and also couple of 2 pin Y type power leads that have a socket to two plugs (the spare is to power the iLook camera I fitted) .
You need to solder, or get someone to do it (not just insulating tape!) the red lead of the flat 4 way cable to the red lead of the wire ended power plug  and the brown from the 4 way lead to the black on the 2 way wire ended power plug.
You MUST insulate the bare joints with heat shrink tubing or if you don't have,  use the wire insulation from a piece of mains flex, but make sure the inside diameter would be wide enough to pass over the individual soldered wires and place over each wire before soldering.
The extra cable is pushed up inside ..You will need to take the lid off the copter to lay  it neatly.
The Y cable is then plugged onto this new termination and one of the other connectors is plugged into the gimbal power lead.
The Gimbal has its own self levelling circuit on the back of the camera plate which keeps the camera platform level. Assuming you have a camera fitted to balance the gimbal, as it wont work without!, AND you have double checked your soldering RED to RED and BROWN to BLACK ... you will FRY the Gimbal controller if you have soldered the power lead in reversed!!!
First without any pitch and roll control leads fitted, power up the TX and then the Quad on a flat surface. The Gimbal leds in the controller will flash red for a few seconds the go solid green.
The platform should if everything is balanced, point straight forwards if not been offset on the V1 and V2 adjustments on the gimbal.
If you pick up the Quad and tilt it around,   the platform will respond by tilting the opposite way to keep the camera straight and level.
Now for the annoying bit I found out after doing all this. I fitted a control cable from the Gimble pitch connector to the Y2,  I personally do not like supplying power to a device via more than one route, ie the control cable red centre wire which I cleanly cut a 5mm section out and insulated it with tape. You only need a ground wire (black) and a control wire (white) to operate the camera pitch.
I used a separate battery for the gimbal at first and didnt want any voltage from the flight battery, it would have joined the remote battery positive with the flight battery positive which may be at different voltage levels causing possible undesired heavy current flow, thus I needed to cut out the control line positive wire..
Once this is connected , repower the system, you will find the camera platform now overshoots and wont stay level as before. Roll is still ok.
Hope this gives you an insight into powering & using a walkera G2D gimbal.
2015-3-9
Use props
rixlumb1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The Gimbal will work on its own and can be adjusted for a set tilt, but attaching it to the pitch control will cause, as I found out, double the amount of counter tilt on the Gimbal.
This is because the Walkera G2D has its own levelling sensor for the gimbal motors , and adding the pitch control from the phantom adds another varying signal from the Quads levelling system. So we tilt phantom forwards by 10 degrees and the camera platform responds to try and maintain level but travels 20 degrees and ends up pointing towards the rotors... not ideal and makes it difficult to control from the TX plus the gimbal overruns its limit point and starts madly wobbling about when the quad is flown with full forward or backwards, ruining recordings.
I have just the phantom 2 V2 not the vision 2 which I believe works on 5.8ghz control with 2.4gig for the vision (wifi) . Correct me if wrong but does the gopro camera have wifi 2.4gig transmission to an app on an Iphone?
Sorry didnt think my last hour of typing in the last post was saved.By the way .. you will probably need longer landing skids as the camera will touch the ground. I bought some to find that the 'moulded in' compass housing on the legs was not on the new skids...There are other posts on internet to show how to fit the compass to the longer skids, I just used double sided foam then when I positioned it parallel to the Quad, I used white insulating tape to cover it. Tested flying straight, Home lock, course lock OK.
2015-3-9
Use props
rvmconstruction
New

United States

Hello I just bought a new phantom  2 vision plus without the camera, I would like to buy a gimbal that can have pitch control, and have the same plugs so I can just connect to my drone and take videos, thank you.
2015-4-8
Use props
the skys the li
lvl.1

Ireland

rvmconstruction Posted at 2015-4-9 01:19
Hello I just bought a new phantom  2 vision plus without the camera, I would like to buy a gimbal th ...

ive just bought a walkera g2d for my standard phantom 2...im hoping to power gimball from a lipo battery would a 7.4 v 2000mah battery from a syma x8c do the trick
2016-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules