RTH at 10' into rose bushes. Why?
1451 22 2016-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259009 ft
Canada

I am what would be considered an extreme newbie.  First two flights on beginner mode went fine.  Third one crashed due to RTH on top of bushes.  I have P3 Pro.  I was flying at an altitude of 10 feet and the drone was about 20 feet from me.  All of a sudden it said RTH and started landing.  I pressed the RTH button to cancel but it was too late.  Crashed into the bushes and broke 3 props.  What would have caused this to happen?  Now I'm afraid to take it out again.  What if it does that 500m away?  I'll never find it!  Obviously the home point was not in the middle of a bunch of rose bushes.  

it had 16 satelites.  I calibrated it before flying and I checked the home point on the map before flying.  I also hovered over the home point for approximately 30 seconds to do a flight check of controls.

So three questions I quess.  Why did it RTH inaccurately?  How do I prevent it from happening again?  And if it lands other than it's home point, how do I find it?

Thank you for your help.

Mary Ann
2016-1-12
Use props
dzimm1414
lvl.1
Flight distance : 558967 ft
United States

I just had mine try to land on top of my house. It has never been that far off on its RTH. Looking for answers also.
2016-1-12
Use props
Drugless
lvl.3
South Africa

Am newbie as well but based on Manuals, Tips, own experiences and posts on the forum:
The actual RTH reason should be able to be established if you upload your flight logs in the app (or Heathydrones quite informative) Check ALL the tabs on the report to establish more details.
Check the manual regarding what the drone actually does when RTH activates in different circumstances / settings / battery status. The RTH Set Altitude may have been set at or lower than you physically.experienced.
2016-1-12
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

If you're within 20 meters of the home point when RTH is activated, doesn't it automatically land where it is?
RTH is explained in this post:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-38269-1-1.html
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you why it landed in the rose bushes but not the cause of how RTH was activated.
The manual clearly states that if you are flying within 20m (65ft) and RTH is triggered, the aircraft will descend and land right where it is. Your distance from the home point has to be more than 20m (65ft) in order for it to come back to the home point during a RTH.

I don't know what triggered the RTH but you can upload the DAT file and start a ticket and the techs can read what triggered it. Since you were only 20ft away, I don't see what could have caused it other than turning off the remote.
And if you have RTH set to land where it loses signal and not come home, then you just look at the last position on the map and it will lead you to it.
2016-1-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-12 13:24
If you're within 20 meters of the home point when RTH is activated, doesn't it automatically land wh ...

Yes, this is correct.

Of course it's not in the user manual from what I can tell. Typical of the fine attention to detail of DJI.
2016-1-12
Use props
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Canada

Drugless Posted at 2016-1-12 11:19
Am newbie as well but based on Manuals, Tips, own experiences and posts on the forum:
The actual RTH ...

I will definitely take a look.  Thanks!  It would definitely be within 20 meters of home point.  As for why it went into RTH, I'm baffled.  I was just cruising around the house, following it and down it went.  Battery was good on both RC and Phantom.  I will see if I can figure it out from the flight log.  Thanks again!
2016-1-12
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bad news :-) good luck with checking.

(It should be Manuel RTH, battery low or lost of signal - may be cross antennas/no LOS)
2016-1-12
Use props
Drugless
lvl.3
South Africa

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-13 02:35
Yes, this is correct.

Of course it's not in the user manual from what I can tell. Typical of the  ...

Version 1.6 of the Manual covers it quite well on Pages 12 to 14, Previous versions may not have that level of detail.
2016-1-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Drugless Posted at 2016-1-12 14:23
Version 1.6 of the Manual covers it quite well on Pages 12 to 14, Previous versions may not have t ...

Good to know thanks. I checked through my manual version and could not find it.
2016-1-12
Use props
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 11:31
I can tell you why it landed in the rose bushes but not the cause of how RTH was activated.
The manu ...

Thank you for your help.  I can see now why you need a much larger clear area for the homepoint than I was allowing.  I am still losing signal no matter where I fly it.  I've never been more than 300 m away at a maximum elevation of 35m and it is losing signal and going into RTH. Now that I have flown (a mere) 40 flights, I at least now can think when the infernal thing starts beeping at me.  I haven't had a crash since but it's getting insanely frustrating.  I've had the dealers look at it.  They've even flown it and of course at that time it flew perfectly.  And now if the P4P is coming out, maybe they should just give me a new one of those!
2016-2-24
Use props
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 11:31
The manu ...

I'm still having problems with it losing signal.  I've been returning home myself so I have control but it's so frustrating when I see videos out there from literally miles away and I can't get it past being able to throw a stick that far.  Sometimes it works beautifully, other times not.   Sometimes it will fly for 10 minutes then start to lose signal so I bring it in and land for the day.  It's just really, really frustrating.  Ive had the dealer go thru my flight log and videos and they can't see any problems with the area I'm flying in or my piloting techniques.  I'm truly at a loss and getting extremely frustrated.
2016-2-24
Use props
patooi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 107562 ft
Hong Kong

mamarcellus Posted at 2016-2-25 04:19
I'm still having problems with it losing signal.  I've been returning home myself so I have contro ...

It could be interference.  Wifi signals, mobile base stations, power lines etc.

I lost my P3 Standard just over a week ago, it was 110m away from where I took off, lost signal and it never came home.  Home point was set as shown in my flight log.  I logged a ticket with DJI support and the result of the investigations was "unknown".
2016-2-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mamarcellus Posted at 2016-2-25 04:19
I'm still having problems with it losing signal.  I've been returning home myself so I have contro ...

This is a Standard correct? If so you may want to send it in to be looked at.
If you cannot get 500m in an open area with no interference than I would send it in to be looked at.
2016-2-24
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

I believe if RTH initiates and you don't want it to, you can quickly slide the switch on the upper-left of the controller from P to F and back again to cancel it.

But yes, I always try to launch in a big clear area just in case.

2016-2-24
Use props
Rob_stal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-25 08:12
I believe if RTH initiates and you don't want it to, you can quickly slide the switch on the upper-l ...

Yes this is true, this was recently a fairly heated topic of discussion on another thread.
Since then I have been practicing using atti mode to cancel RTH once it has been initiated (meaning waiting for the bird to start rising) and I have found that I am able to stop it within 1 meter.
Using the RTH button one it has been initiated takes anything from 3-5 meters.
2016-2-25
Use props
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Canada

patooi@yahoo.co Posted at 2016-2-24 13:27
It could be interference.  Wifi signals, mobile base stations, power lines etc.

I lost my P3 Stand ...

That's terrible!  I'm hoping by now you have recovered it!  What are you supposed to do in a situation like that?
2016-3-9
Use props
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Canada

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-12 11:24
If you're within 20 meters of the home point when RTH is activated, doesn't it automatically land wh ...

Thank you. Being a newbie all this information helps!
2016-3-9
Use props
mamarcellus
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-24 13:53
This is a Standard correct? If so you may want to send it in to be looked at.
If you cannot get 50 ...

Sorry for my late reply. This is a pro.  I figured if I'm gonna do it, do it all the way!
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mamarcellus Posted at 2016-3-10 05:21
Sorry for my late reply. This is a pro.  I figured if I'm gonna do it, do it all the way!

If you have the Pro and are losing signal at 500m in an open area with no interference,  then I would contact support.
Your also pointing the antennas correctly right?

2016-3-9
Use props
Mary Ann
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-9 15:37
If you have the Pro and are losing signal at 500m in an open area with no interference,  then I wo ...

Thanks for your help Ken.  FYI I think I've finally figured out that it is a small round pen made of pipe that's giving me problems. It's messing up the signal.  It's very small but obviously not so small to negate problems.   Thank you for all your help and suggestions.
2016-3-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mary Ann Posted at 2016-3-22 03:36
Thanks for your help Ken.  FYI I think I've finally figured out that it is a small round pen made  ...

Ok, sounds good. And yes, you should never fly near metal.
2016-3-21
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules