Feature Request - turn off lights during photo exposure
2109 22 2016-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

When taking photos at dusk or night, the front arm lights (always red) show up as amorphous, ghostly reflections in the image, even when the gimble is pointed down 20 degrees or so.  The app lets us turn off those lights, but I often forget, and I prefer to just keep them on for visibility's sake.  Knowing that these lights *can* turn off tells me that you could make it automatically turn off briefly when taking a picture.  Not a huge issue, but seems like an easy tweak for someone to do in their "spare time".  
2016-1-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yes, a good idea, and should not be hard to implement. How about if DJI?
2016-1-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That feature has been in the app since the P3 was released.
Just poke around the settings and look for it.
Look in Multicopter Settings ... Advanced Settings
2016-1-13
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

I just would like to make it "bindable" to the C buttons.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The instruction manual is in the Academy page along with a bunch of tutorial videos.
My suggestion would be to view this information, your new drone has tons of really cool features, take advantage of them and learn them.
2016-1-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-14 15:11
That feature has been in the app since the P3 was released.
Just poke around the settings and look f ...

If the feature is there, I can't find it. I can find the menu item that lets me turn the arm lights off or on. However the OP is asking for a modification where if the arm lights are on, they switch off briefly for the duration of the photo, and then switch back on again. I can't see that feature anywhere.
2016-1-13
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 13:41
The instruction manual is in the Academy page along with a bunch of tutorial videos.
My suggestion w ...

My suggestion is to read the suggestion of the thread opener

I think it's a great suggestion and should be implemented. To be honest, I haven't checked again if that functionality exists but I am pretty sure it does not, you can only turn on and off the lights manually.

So, please DJI, read again

2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DroPro Posted at 2016-1-14 22:02
My suggestion is to read the suggestion of the thread opener

I think it's a great suggestion a ...

The feature is there to turn them on and off with a slide of the enable/disable switch in the app. That's how it was built and that's how it is. If you fly at night just leave them off for the duration of the flight. If you get disorientated then just use the map view to get your bearings of turn the lights back on.
I think DJI has put in great features into the app, maybe someday you'll get 100% everything you dream about wanting in a multirotor, but for now you have to take the extra second and physically touch the app button with your finder.
2016-1-14
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 23:12
The feature is there to turn them on and off with a slide of the enable/disable switch in the app. ...

I absolutely agree, there are a lot of great features and I didn't want to be offensive. I just got the impresseion that 'youngskyculler' was misunderstood. I mean he clearly stated that the app lets us turn off those lights and his feature request is to think about an automatic process.

I think it's a great idea and just wanted to support him. Since we have this 'Feature Request Forum', I thought, why not participate?
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DroPro Posted at 2016-1-15 01:58
I absolutely agree, there are a lot of great features and I didn't want to be offensive. I just go ...

yes I agree, also I'm trying to answer tons and tons of questions and once in a while I read the paragraph to fast. And I always don't have time to read all the posts between the original post and the latest post, especially if their pages and pages I can't read them all.
Sorry if I misunderstood exactly the question.
2016-1-14
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Would really like this function, going through advanced settings in the middle of a flight is hardly practical.
2016-1-14
Use props
cdwilson0302
lvl.2

United States

Does anybody know if can adjust the exposure and ISO settings on a P3 Standard? And if so- how?
2016-1-14
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 04:08
yes I agree, also I'm trying to answer tons and tons of questions and once in a while I read the p ...

This is actually a great suggestion (IMHO).
Easily done with a 3 position slider ON-OFF-AUTO
2016-1-14
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Good thinking. The P3 does have many good features but I believe this would make it better. Like your thought too wildlight.
Feature request is an awesome oppurtunity for DJI to sort out these very good suggestions and implement in future releases.
Thanks for considering this Ken
2016-1-14
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

cdwilson0302 Posted at 2016-1-14 13:37
Does anybody know if can adjust the exposure and ISO settings on a P3 Standard? And if so- how?

I'm sorry ,  don't own a p3 standard. You are better of posing a new question to the forum, it ill get more attention.

Cheers -Donnie
2016-1-14
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

If it could be binded to C1/C2 it wouldn't even need an "auto" feature and i think it should be easier to implement (as the API call is already there and programmed).
2016-1-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-15 12:02
This is actually a great suggestion (IMHO).
Easily done with a 3 position slider ON-OFF-AUTO

Actually, I don't think you need a switch, there is no reason that the feature should NOT be automatic and that's that. No penalty for briefly switching off the lights when the shutter button is pressed.
2016-1-14
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-15 15:20
Actually, I don't think you need a switch, there is no reason that the feature should NOT be autom ...

Meh let them choose, video bods may want an option
2016-1-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-15 16:50
Meh let them choose, video bods may want an option

Maybe, but frankly, I don't need yet another menu item to have to fumble through when I am trying to concentrate on flying the aircraft, especially at night.
2016-1-14
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

It would have to be optional.
Specially when flying at night as you would need the light to help positioning your aircraft for lining up shots.
Auto would rock for photo but for video you'll want to be able to toggle it without starting/stopping recording.
2016-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-14 12:07
Would really like this function, going through advanced settings in the middle of a flight is hardly ...

When you let go of the radio controller sticks, the drone will stay on point and hover until you give it further stick commands. So it shouldn't be a major difficulty to switch the front arm red LED diodes off.
I do it all the time, if I think the shot will benefit.

Sorry all the wishes we have, can't always come true. ;-)
But daydreaming and drone fantasizing is good brain activity...

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker
2016-1-14
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-15 15:54
Maybe, but frankly, I don't need yet another menu item to have to fumble through when I am trying t ...

Kinda the point - won't be another menu item just another position for the existing menu item. For your purposes leave it set to auto and just concentrate on flying. a three position single option just seems logical to me, your mileage may vary
Anyhoo, as others have said just a suggestion/wish at the moment, not the kinda thing anyone need get too fixated about.
2016-1-15
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would make more sense than another set of video templates in the app - which most of us never even look at.
It's not so much the almost dark shots but at dusk when it's not obvious the red glow might spoil a picture.
2016-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules