Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Commercial Rates
846 10 2016-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gary.thevideopr
lvl.1

United States

trying to get an idea of reasonable commercial rates from the 333 holders. 65 - 95/hour seem reasonable to me. 65 for shoot and hand over for maybe some B roll type video for another commercial shoot. 95 for time on site if I am hired by an entity that wants me to produce a finished product for them. Anybody have any thoughts? Experience?
2016-1-14
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Seems low to me. Cost of Insurance, fuel, taxes, replacement of worn out equipment, travel time to job site, paperwork prep time  , edits,graphics, cost of audio tracks, possible narrators,etc.
Would be curious to see what others say. Different areas and competition will change numbers but I'm at a buckandahalf min.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

don't know prices in US and Canada, here in China hobbyists with phantoms getting about 1000-2000 rmb per DAY. 200-350 usd
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have my 333 and I'm also a private pilot. I was usually getting around $700 a day and it was usually lasted only 2-3hrs.
But there's also times Ive done stuff for $200 and it was 2hrs, and also $1,000 and 3hrs, and $150 for 25 minutes.
For me it was kind of all over the place. You also have to compete with everyone else including the ones without exemptions. Some people who hire you don't care if your more professional since you're doing it legally, they just want the cheapest price. I have turned down several opportunities that were just not worth it and referred them to Craigslist where you can get a kid with his drone to come do your video for $50.
And all of mine have never been editing, it was just handing them the SD card.
2016-1-14
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

If I ever see you guys I plan on taking Tim out to lunch as he's the cheaper guy, LOL........
2016-1-14
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

OH, by the way. Tim told me the time to repair had gone from about two months to two weeks.
I crashed my Inspire and sent it in per Tim. He's right. It took them one week actually. I destroyed
All the underneath basically except my camera and gimbal. Still under warrantee so no shipping
Price and I have to get it back now. Very, very real, happy. GOOD JOB GUYS?
2016-1-14
Use props
gary.thevideopr
lvl.1

United States

Thanks fellas, that was pretty much the response I was expecting. I plan to actually do a day for free to establish a no risk relationship with this new client. Most of my "fly for money" jobs are very easy static post observation type things, this will challenge my piloting skill set so I want us both to be comfortable. If they like it, money won't be an issue, if they don't, money won't be an issue. As the visa commercial says, a foot in the door with a national events company will be priceless. My expectation is that I won't be competing with non exemption holders, I think if they like the product, they are big enough to bring in the capability themselves. We'll see. I appreciate the responses and wish you all happy flying. Having had a recent significant crash, I'm still having visions of exploding gimbals dancing through my head. It will take a little while for my pseudo PTSD to subside.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jlivingston6@ve Posted at 2016-1-15 14:27
OH, by the way. Tim told me the time to repair had gone from about two months to two weeks.
I crashe ...

Yes, the repair time is pretty quickly now, glad yours took only a week.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gary.thevideopr Posted at 2016-1-15 21:03
Thanks fellas, that was pretty much the response I was expecting. I plan to actually do a day for fr ...

I also forgot to mention that I have done a few jobs for nearly free in hopes that it builds a relationship an then it all works out in the end. Most it worked out ok but some still try to take advantage with false promises and don't want to pay much at all.
2016-1-15
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Commercial rates have always, and will always be based on talent and results.   There will be people willing to shoot for $50/day and starving and those charging $3,000/day who are booked solid for months.

The instincts and abilities of the operator are everything, the drone is a means to an end.   

Everyone will quickly figure out what they are worth when they raise your rates and their clients don't follow.   
2016-1-15
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

gary.thevideopr Posted at 2016-1-16 00:03
Thanks fellas, that was pretty much the response I was expecting. I plan to actually do a day for fr ...

Working for free is a double edged sword.   
First of all, the clients that are attracted to this will quite likely just find the next guy willing to work for free on the next job.

Second, in your first meeting you established your value as nothing.  Even if you make it very clear you are doing it only to show them your skills, it tells them you need them a lot more than they need you.

Absolutely it can work out in your favor and lead to future work, but if you work for free you are much better off using it to build your portfolio to show real results to other clients.

In fact, this is a really good way in.  If you present yourself as a professional videographer creating a proof of concept in this new and exciting aerial field, you would be much better off.  Essentially you would say shooting whatever it is would be of mutual benefit.  Essentially you are both after marketing materials.

This way you aren't saying "please please please let me show you how great I am, I'll do it for free!" at which time they know they have you.   

Then at the end you can show them how well it came out and say "Aren't these new tools amazing?  These shots would have cost $50,000 five years ago, can't wait to take this to the market.  If you need anything in the future give me a call" and leave.   Then they'll want you bad and you have plenty of negotiating power.  
2016-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules