new owner, no fly zone and app discrepancies
2653 28 2016-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mike.romanuik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17844 ft
Canada

I have looked and been unable to find answers, and DJI support is well...  lacking.  I thought I would ask here

New Phantom 3 std, firemware updated to the latest.   My issue is that the app on my phone and ipad shows my house as being in a no fly zone ( 4.8 miles away from an airport)   so I can not test the motors or even take it for a test flight.   DJI's unlock site shows my house as being in a yellow zone, and I should be able to unlock it.    I havce valid exceptions on the site for unlocking, but I am still locked in a no fly zone in the app.   The app on the phone / ipad shows me as being in the red, it is not updated to the yellow zone the web site shows.   
Is this an issue with the app?  and will I have to wait for a new release for it to be updated?  Just trying to follow the beginers guide by the guy with the funny teeth.  I cant test the sound of the motors if they wont spin up :-)

I have contacted DJI support.  the answer is my Samsung phone is not supported.   Which I understand,   but issue is with my IPAD air 2 as well.   Am I out of luck and need to go sit on the side of the highway somewhere for this test?

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.  

2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Mike
Please try this way : Firstly , turn your aircraft on and keep it on P-GPS mode . Then, keep your mobile connected to the net and connect your mobile to the aircraft . Please wait for several minutes , restart the DJI Go App and see if it's fixed .
2016-1-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Yes,
Follow Patricks advice and/or search GeoFence within the forum as DJI made a major screw up and disabled a lot of Phantoms and his direction should resolve it,
2016-1-14
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-14 20:39
Hi , Mike
Please try this way : Firstly , turn your aircraft on and keep it on P-GPS mode . Then, ke ...

Thanks for the response,
So here are my newbie colors shining through....

if I am connected to my Phantom 3 using the wifi....   how can I have my device on the net as well?   As soon as I switch to my internet connection it will disconnect from the controller wifi.   Am I missing something here?    Or does the app just need to be on the internet after connecting to the net?  
2016-1-14
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-14 20:46
Yes,
Follow Patricks advice and/or search GeoFence within the forum as DJI made a major screw up and ...

Geofence.   not something I would have searched for when looking for a solution.  Thanks for the tip.  Ill look into that and read up.  
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-15 11:57
Thanks for the response,
So here are my newbie colors shining through....

That problem happens on IOS system . It should work when you are using an IOS device . Remember to enable your cellular .
2016-1-14
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-14 22:02
That problem happens on IOS system . It should work when you are using an IOS device . Remember to  ...

Ahh ok,   well my Android is the one with a sim card and cellular   and it doesnt work. My Ipad is Wifi only.   Ill have to see if I can borrow and Iphone from a  friend and try. seems cumbersome.   Maybe a way to unlock these zones directly in the app would be a good way for DJI to address this. Or update the app while on wifi but not connected to the aircraft.   
Thanks for the help.   
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike,
Couple of things, currently the 2.4.4 GEO Beta is only available to download for Android and not IOS yet.
2nd, the GEO app is not available for your Standard, it's only for the Phantom Pro/Advanced and Inspire.
Since it's a Beta program, you need the 1.7 firmware on your aircraft and the Phantom3 Standard only updates through WiFi.
But with you being 4.8 miles from the airport, you should still be able to fly. The regular no-fly zone works like an upside down wedding cake. Within a mile or so you cannot take off and the further out the higher you are able to fly. So I don't know why you cannot arm the motors.
The first link is the current no-fly zone info and the 2nd link is the info for the GEO Beta authorization zones.
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?www=v1

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-1-14
Use props
tetuanrp
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 12:31
Mike,
Couple of things, currently the 2.4.4 GEO Beta is only available to download for Android and n ...

I'm having a similar issue and can't get an answer from DJI support or the forum here. When I use my iPhone (wifi only), the no fly zones are correct. When I use my iPad, the no Fly Zones are MASSIVE, and I can't fly with it. Really frustrating given I bought the ipad specifically for my DJI. See screenshots.

DJI-Ken - any idea on this one?? I've seen multiple posts on this - others have issues but no resolutions.

IPAD

IPHONE

2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tetuanrp Posted at 2016-1-15 13:12
I'm having a similar issue and can't get an answer from DJI support or the forum here. When I use  ...

Yes, this was a glitch that somehow put the 2.4.4 GEO Beta authorization zones (airports) into 2.5 GO app as no-fly zones. It was fixed a few days ago. Sorry you had an issue.
But hey, on the bright side, you can see the yellow zones where you can fly now where you couldn't in the original red zones.
If you follow these instructions it will fix it.

1.Mobile device needs to be connected to the Internet.
2.Aircraft powered up and should be on P-GPS mode, stay in open area with good GPS signal.
3. Mobile device need connecting to the aircraft.
4.Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-15 12:13
Ahh ok,   well my Android is the one with a sim card and cellular   and it doesnt work. My Ipad is ...

Please try reinstall the App and see if that fixes this problem .
2016-1-14
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

GEO Fences

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 05:31
The first link is the current no-fly zone info and the 2nd link is the info for the GEO Beta authorization zones.
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?www=v1

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Sweet!
Peace of Mind, thank you for this clarification
2016-1-14
Use props
tetuanrp
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 13:35
Yes, this was a glitch that somehow put the 2.4.4 GEO Beta authorization zones (airports) into 2.5 ...

Ok - I can still do this with a Wifi only iPad correct? To confirm:

1) I take my iPad, connect to network with internet (probably need to use my phone's wifi hotspot)
2) Power up aircraft on P-GPS
3) on my iPad, switch from network with internet, to phantom to connect to it (at this point, iPad has no internet access since connected to Drone)
4) Wait and reboot.

Seem correct?

2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tetuanrp Posted at 2016-1-15 14:39
Ok - I can still do this with a Wifi only iPad correct? To confirm:

1) I take my iPad, connect to ...

Yes, the Beta firmwares uses the GPS in the aircraft to see if you are in an authorization zone or not.
Yes, you only need a WiFi tablet and not GPS enabled tablet. That's the same with the GEO Beta or any of the firmware.
The only thing you need GPS enabled tablet is if you want to use Follow Me or setting Dynamic Home point (to controller not aircraft) with a Phantom. The Inspire has a GPS in the RC to use dynamic home point to the controller
2016-1-14
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 22:31
Mike,
Couple of things, currently the 2.4.4 GEO Beta is only available to download for Android and n ...

Thanks for clearing some of that up.  makes sense.     When i get home tonight L will post some screen shots of the app on my phone.   Where the DJI maps you show me the 1.5 mile radius around my air port for no fly, and then the 5 mile limited,  my apps only show the full 5 miles as red and no fly.  This is on both the Ipad and the Android.     

I will also re install the apps on both to see if that changes anything.  
But heck i am getting good in the simulator. :-)
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-15 22:41
Thanks for clearing some of that up.  makes sense.     When i get home tonight L will post some sc ...

Yes, when you get home try to delete the apps and reinstall the 2.5 update and see what you see.
You should only see yellow authorization zones if you install 2.4.4
And if you participate in the GEO Beta don't forget you also must install 1.7 firmware on your aircraft.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-15 14:32
Sweet!
Peace of Mind, thank you for this clarification

No problem at all. It can be confusing since there's two different webpages with two different maps.
2016-1-15
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Betamap

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 16:25
No problem at all. It can be confusing since there's two different webpages with two different map ...

I think it would ease a lot of souls if http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock was marked
Beta Testing and had a link to http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

Now I at least have something to tell all the worried ones

Board meeting in our local RC club in a couple weeks for instance.
2016-1-15
Use props
gvb2
New

Italy

Hello,

I have the same problem as the colleague. Today, I tried two ipad devices both make the same problem. If I use iphone drone flies and there is no problem, but if I use my ipad - No Fly Zone. Both devices are wifi version.
2016-1-15
Use props
gvb2
New

Italy

Same pictures:

iPad - 1

iPad - 2

This is from DJI Site.

You can see that in the site there is only one big red ... and in the iPad there are 6.... And it's bigger then the one in the site.
2016-1-15
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 09:24
Yes, when you get home try to delete the apps and reinstall the 2.5 update and see what you see.
Y ...

I reinstalled 2.4.4 and well the map changed,   I now have the 1.5 red circle as a no fly zone and a 5 mile red circle ss a no fly zone.   before it was just one.   Still with this i can not fly. screen shot below

I updated to the beta android version just to see what it would say. And in that app it is all yellow, but of course i can not unlock it.   I understand this version will not work with the std,  I wants to use it for testing to see what may happen.

ok,  last edit to this post.   after realizing i somehow got 2.4.4 again i reinstalled from play store, and this time I have 2.5.0 on my android.   And the airport is proper sized.   I am out of the no fly zone and can test.   things are working normal.  
Thank you for all the help.
I am good to go

version 2.4.4 from google play store

version 2.4.4 from google play store

beta app used just to see what the map shows

beta app used just to see what the map shows

map from 2.5.0

map from 2.5.0
2016-1-15
Use props
tetuanrp
lvl.1
United States

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-16 13:21
I reinstalled 2.5 and well the map changed,   I now have the 1.5 red circle as a no fly zone and a  ...

I had the same issue but DJI-Ken's steps ended up working for me. Either coincidence or it actually did the trick

Here they are again:

1.Mobile device needs to be connected to the Internet.
2.Aircraft powered up and should be on P-GPS mode, stay in open area with good GPS signal.
3. Mobile device need connecting to the aircraft.
4.Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check.
2016-1-15
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

tetuanrp Posted at 2016-1-15 23:58
I had the same issue but DJI-Ken's steps ended up working for me. Either coincidence or it actuall ...

i can not do these steps.   My android ( i think all androids) dont support you having Wifi on and mobile internet at the same time.  My Ipad is wifi only.    If you can explain how to get my android phone do to these steps I would be more then willing to give it a try,   but to this point I have not been able to do it.  
2016-1-15
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

I realize that I did not uninstall / reinstall my IPAD app today ( I did it multiple times the other night).  Today I have success after reinsatalling 2.5.1,  my ipad air ( wifi only) no longer reports I am in a No Fly Zone,  the zone has shrunk to the proper size around my air port and I am free to fly.   Was nice to be able to check the motors and the    do a quick few test flights in doors.    Still hoping the android fix comes out soon.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-15 22:21
I reinstalled 2.4.4 and well the map changed,   I now have the 1.5 red circle as a no fly zone and  ...

You said you updated to the Android Beta app 2.5, the Beta is not 2.5, 2.5 is the regular app. 2.4.4 is the Beta. You also have to upload the 1.7 Beta firmware to your aircraft.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tetuanrp Posted at 2016-1-15 22:58
I had the same issue but DJI-Ken's steps ended up working for me. Either coincidence or it actuall ...

Glad it worked, this is the fix for IOS and 2.5.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-15 23:02
i can not do these steps.   My android ( i think all androids) dont support you having Wifi on and ...

That fix is for IOS and not Android. There's no issues with Android. (and Android can be on phone and internet at the same time)
If yo want to test the GEO Beta app on your Android pone/device, on your Android do to this DJI page and download the APK on the left side of the screen. You also have to download the 1.7 firmware for your aircraft (not available for Phantom Standard)
If after using the GEO Beta and you want to downgrade to the regular update, then delete the app and reinstall 2.5 and also download 1.6 for your aircraft as well.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Regina_mike Posted at 2016-1-15 23:46
I realize that I did not uninstall / reinstall my IPAD app today ( I did it multiple times the other ...

I'm glad it is now working correctly for you. Your Android should work fine on 2.4.3
2016-1-15
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-16 00:56
You said you updated to the Android Beta app 2.5, the Beta is not 2.5, 2.5 is the regular app. 2.4 ...

ha,  then I dont know what I did..     but either way I now have 2.5 back on the android and it is working.   I am not touching anything esle
2016-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules