Using the old log (pre Firmware 1.4)

This is next to my farm

Dont forget to select 1080p option under HD

2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nice one !  Next time you can try out the nd filters, which will help you to improve  your video by decreasing overexposure and making colors more juicy
2016-1-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Very Nice!   I agree with Tim, a bit of overexposure can really hurt the result.   Better to slightly underexpose and preserve highlights, and pull them back up in post.

But great job, love the scenery!
2016-1-15
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

very nice.  what settings were you using on your camera?  
2016-1-15
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-15 11:19
nice one !  Next time you can try out the nd filters, which will help you to improve  your video by  ...

Thanks Tim, I did use filters on this.
2016-1-17
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-16 05:47
Very Nice!   I agree with Tim, a bit of overexposure can really hurt the result.   Better to slightl ...

Thanks Jim, there were lots of details in the shadows that I wanted to keep so I was happy to let the sky completely overexpose.
Sadly, the new D log won't allow anyone achieving these results on an Inspire 1 with an X3 camera as the dynamic range available for grading has been reduced considerably compared to the original Log.

Just as a interesting sideline, for at least 40 years, this region 'High Range' has been marked on Aviation VTC charts as a danger area for un-manned aircraft would you believe? I have lived there for 25 years and never seen any activity of it's kind and there are no air bases nearby. Maybe somebody was kind enough forsee giving me and my Inspire my own airspace ??  haha!
2016-1-17
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-1-16 05:58
very nice.  what settings were you using on your camera?

Hi A,

I don't do much under 4K as it gives me better post options as well as a little "Future Proof insurance", 25 fps (PAL country - by habit more than today's necessity). Used original Log prior to Firmware update 1.4. Used filters for the brighter shots but none when shooting at dawn or sunset. As Jim said, best to overexpose than under - chances are your histogram is going to feature the sky anyway so let it go way into "Zebra land".
Graded using Premiere CC Lumetri Colour using a commercially available Lut which I use for both my Panasonic Lumix and for the Inspire 1
2016-1-17
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Highranger Posted at 2016-1-17 08:37
Hi A,

I don't do much under 4K as it gives me better post options as well as a little "Future Proo ...

Thanks for the description.  Really helpful to know.  Ive bought an iMac Retina 5k for handling the 4k images.  Like you said it future proofs the shoots and my QNAP 4TB can safely store them all for me.  Thanks again for sharing the info.  Big help.  RM
2016-2-16
Use props
Ricky Wu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

where is this place ?
love the scenery
2016-6-16
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

Ricky Wu Posted at 2016-6-16 19:16
where is this place ?
love the scenery

About 120kms south East of Sydney Ricky.
2020-6-11
Use props
checherender
lvl.3
Spain

amazing video!!!!
2020-6-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>