Winter firmware???
1430 11 2016-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Just wondering when winter is gone will they release a new FW so we can get the power (HP) back in the i1? I have to fly full throttle all the time to get decent speed now. No issues with the bird flying in -20/-30c weather so i'm happy but i miss the raw power from the inspire and i just wanna know if were gonna get it back in fall with warmer weather.
2016-1-16
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

In spring* i meant.
2016-1-16
Use props
Alan Gale
New

United Kingdom

Just upgraded to DJI Go App and latest version firmware but not flown yet.
Was having problems with possible voltage drop in the cold zero degrees C. Maybe the new firmware will help that?
2016-1-16
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2629813 ft
United States

I did not like the v1.6 firmware and downgraded back to v1.5 which according to the DJI release notes "Fixed battery level fluctuation issue".
I also use an insulation wrap that I attach around the battery compartment of my Inspire for the cold weather flying season and then take it off in the spring.
It works great and keeps my batteries toasty warm during flights in cold weather as long as the batteries are not super cold when I load them in to the inspire.  (Which they never are since I keep them in an insulated container if I'm out in the field all day in cold weather).
Also I have none of the reduction in speed or power that was added in firmware v1.6.
For more information and how-to-photos on my battery compartment insulated wrap solution please see my post from February of 2015 in the RC Groups forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... amp;postcount=18101

2016-1-16
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Yeah i fly in -30c with no issues and in windy situations and no prob. Someone said he had problems in wind not sure if he tried chasing a hurricane but i was up in the sky with 30kmh winds and my i1 was taking it like a beast. just less power so you fly full throttle most of the time but 0 issues in freezing weather.
2016-1-16
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Tkeeg thats a great idea man i should look into it because its freezing here this time of the year...
2016-1-16
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2629813 ft
United States

Westwoodfilms.c Posted at 2016-1-16 14:03
Tkeeg thats a great idea man i should look into it because its freezing here this time of the year.. ...

Yes, Canada is one COLD place.  BEAUTIFUL but COLD!
I am in New Jersey, where it is no where near as cold as you, but the other day is was about 18 F degrees here with a fairly strong wind and my batteries were at a nice warm level during the entire flight.
I recommend that you check the battery temps every minute or so of your flight and you can see how they warm up with each minute that goes by.  The trick is to try and start your flight with a battery that is close to room temp if possible.  Before leaving the house you can put you batteries in an insulated bag along with a sack of rice that you heat in the microwave.  That hot bag of rice will keep the inside of the insulated bag (and your batteries) warm for a long time, even in Canada!
2016-1-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

It is safer this way and i believe DJI will not change it back
2016-1-17
Use props
Yapper915
New

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-17 21:19
It is safer this way and i believe DJI will not change it back

Ok so I have been looking to purchase an I1 for a while and was about to pull the trigger but then I stumble on DJI's own forum. To be quite honest, what is now making me kind of second guess this is DJI-Tim and other DJI-XXXX employees answers to questions that are very valid. Browsing the forum I can kind of already tell that the DJI-XXXX users probably feel MachoMan is an ass as he is calling out questions that DJI-XXXX seem not to have the answer nor want to admit to.

This last comment by DJI-Tim really pushes me over the edge here. So a speed reduction from 22 m/s (49.2126 MPH) to 18 m/s (40.2649 MPH) is "safer" (according to whom) and it will not be changed back. From this I guess DJI needs to be in the auto manufacturing business and put governors on cars made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Tesla, etc limiting them to 80 MPH as this is a safer top speed then what they can do.

DJI-Tim with this comment you basically just said that none of your consumers are smart enough, nor safe enough to handle the product your company produces so now you need to "dumb it down" for all consumers because you (DJI) know best for the consumer.

22 m/s (~49 MPH) to 18 m/s (~40 MPH) is a drastic reduction for one. But more important that that is the fact that MachoMan brings to the forefront in other posts that there are undocumented changes in DJI's FW upgrades that cause consumers to lose their investment, at which time DJI just turns a blind eye.....  You have taken the market by storm with your Phantom and now the Inspire for the technology at the price point. But if all I can expect is for more limitations and undocumented changes that can cause me to lose my investment then maybe I am wrong for wanting to jump on the DJI bandwagon.
2016-1-17
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Yapper915 Posted at 2016-1-18 12:41
Ok so I have been looking to purchase an I1 for a while and was about to pull the trigger but then ...

I believe you misunderstood why it's safer.  The main reason why it's safer is that with higher rpm, the aircraft withdraws more current. By limiting over-current withdraw, we are saving the aircraft from a voltage drop.
2016-1-17
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Dji tim! I agree in the winter its safe but when Summer time shows up will they give us a new firmawre to gain back the missing power? I never had any issues in warm weather with my inspires and P3P. Heck my P3P is almost as fast as my inspire now...
2016-1-18
Use props
Yapper915
New

United States

DJI-Tim

You could be correct in the way I took your post and responded. I have spent the day conversing with some dealers and getting there input. While I still believe that I am partially right in my statement I will also now say I can see where DJI has the best interest of the customer in mind in a certain light.

One of the many reasons I am looking at the Inspire 1 was due to the speed rating. To blanket an update that restricts this can be seen from both sides. I, as the consumer, don't always like this type of call by a company because it is a direct blow to my Pro's/Con's table. However, since I live in a climate where it gets colder if this saves my investment from being a paperweight I will have someone to thank.

I guess my rant then should be for more transparency and documentation. I am a true believer in upgrading when ever a patch comes out, however I still like to know what all that is changing so that a habit that a have that has worked till now, doesn't crash my bird because someone thought changing a setting was a good idea.
2016-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules