Difference in motors?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

Hi all,

I'm new to the DJI products and I had a question:

I purchased a Phantom 3 Pro and when I got it home, I found out it was defective out of the box. On power up it would just keep beeping and no lights would come on. The motors on that defective unit were the ones that came with the plastic clamp tool. I exchanged the drone where I purchased it the same day and on the second unit, the motors were a little different and these came with the metal spanner wrench.

My question is, is there a difference between the motors (the one that comes with the plastic clamp tool VS. the one that comes with the metal spanner wrench)? I just want to make sure that DJI didn't switch to the newer model motors because the original ones were having issues.

Thanks.
2016-1-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

There are several threads on new motors and new shells, check it out, just search "new motor" in the search tab and in short, they did not change for not good reason!
2016-1-16
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-16 14:40
There are several threads on new motors and new shells, check it out, just search "new motor" in the ...

Thanks, I checked them out. So what you are saying is that the older motors are better than the newer ones despite the newer ones having "7%" more efficiency?
2016-1-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

You will have to let DJI comment, if they dare! I doubt they will out themselves to indicate they made the changes due to known defects in either the manufacturing or workmanship no more than they outed themselves on the recent GeoFence fiasco..They chalk it up to a server glitch..Frankly, unless their server is running on AI and ther Server was on PMS (Phantom Mad Syndrome), it was a human caused condition, that simple.

2016-1-16
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-16 15:22
You will have to let DJI comment, if they dare! I doubt they will out themselves to indicate they ma ...

I gather that I should return this one and see if I can get one with the newer motors then?
2016-1-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

If it were me, i would insist on the most recent technology, shell and motors!

If you look at the Phantom 2 that they still sell, the kit includes the metal wrench...look at the tab 'IN THE BOX"
http://store.dji.com/product/pha ... p;site=brandsite_pc

If you look at the new P3, it includes the plastic tool...look at the tab 'IN THE BOX"
http://store.dji.com/product/pha ... l?site=brandsite_pc

i can only speculate that you have received an earlier model P3 with older motors..but who knows for sure..
There are picts on the forum showing the new motors so it should be easy to identify....
Check this out....http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... al-advanced-motors1
2016-1-16
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

If you have the wrench (spanner) you have the old style motors.
I have the old style motors and have no problems with them whatsoever.

But if your Phantom isn't working and you have to return it for exchange you should get the type you want.
2016-1-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dmcman73 Posted at 2016-1-17 07:56
I gather that I should return this one and see if I can get one with the newer motors then?

Despite what  some on the forums say both motors are fine.
You'd have difficulty finding any difference in performance.
Definitely no cause to return a Phantom.
2016-1-16
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

Thanks all. I took it out for a spin today and it works and behaves (maybe even works slightly better) like the P3 Standard I had (which had new motors in it) before trading it in for the Professional. I thought maybe there was an issue with the older motors that I wasn't aware of.
2016-1-17
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Does any one knows what is the difference between the phantom 3 standard and the phantom 3 pro/adv motors
the motors looks different

2016-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules