Find my phantom incorrect location
2830 13 2015-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I am P2+ V3 owner. I notice the Find my phantom position is off most of the time by a couple of km vs the 'H' location on the map (DJI Vision App) is dead on. I have calibrated IMU, compass and home lock countless times. I flip the S2 switch many times with 8 satellites and the green turned yellow once. I think I got the home lock set. One way to find out where true home position is by triggering RTH to see where it flies to but I am not willing to do this.

2015-1-1
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I got a feeling the 'Find My Phantom' position is due to an error from the app. Can someone confirm ?

Note for the above both my S1 & S2 switch is up.

Here are my firmware version.
MC 3.08
GPS 6.0.16
Receiver 5.8G 1.0.1.3
P330CB 1.0.2.10

DJI App version 1.0.43
2015-1-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

I think the location is more related to the fact that often, the reason the Phantom is lost is because it lost GPS lock. Without GPS, "Find My Phantom" really has no idea where it is, only where it was. And if the last GPS fix trasnsmitted was erroneous, the reason it flew away, the location shown in the app will be erroneous too.,
2015-1-1
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

But on the dji app groundstation map page there is a H the the Hich seems to suggest home. This home location is different to the home location on find my phantom page. I fully realise the phantom needs gps to find home. What i am suggesting is the find my phantoms page got the home wrong eventhough the gps got it right.
2015-1-1
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.2

United States

robertlam18@gma Posted at 2015-1-2 13:28
But on the dji app groundstation map page there is a H the the Hich seems to suggest home. This home ...

Was vision app opened when you stopped your Phantom?
2015-1-2
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I put the Phantom on a table in front of me for testing and open the vision app to do the test I talked about. Phantom is turned on the whole time. Still the DJI app groundstation 'H' not matches with Find My Phantom location.
2015-1-2
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

robertlam18@gma Posted at 2015-1-3 02:12
I put the Phantom on a table in front of me for testing and open the vision app to do the test I tal ...

Hopefully that table is not inside or close to buildings.
2015-1-2
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

robertlam18@gma Posted at 2015-1-3 02:12
I put the Phantom on a table in front of me for testing and open the vision app to do the test I tal ...

Take your Phantom outside so you will get a GPS lock and then check your position on the map>
2015-1-2
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Update :
I took the phantom to a field, once again the Find my phantom position is 2km off where I was standing. The DJI app groundstation map shows the good home point. I flew the phantom 30m then turn off the transmitter. Phantom returns to the correct Home point in front of me. Which means the Find my phantom position is correct.

P.S please don't post stuff like 'have you got GPS or have you turned on the Phantom, etc' I have searched the internet and found no answer before posting. I know what I am testing.
2015-1-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

robertlam18@gma Posted at 2015-1-3 19:20
Update :
I took the phantom to a field, once again the Find my phantom position is 2km off where I w ...

Did you ever think that your map might be off by 2 km?  The location shows about 6 feet off on one of my phantoms and about 8 feet off for the other one.
2015-1-3
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

It is DJI app's map in the  Find My Phantom page and in the Ground Station page, not mine. I think they both use Google map. You can see the image I attached.
image1 (2).JPG
image2 (1).JPG
2015-1-3
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I know my Phantom got the H correct. I am sure the app has a bug. Just want to let DJI know so they can fix the app.
2015-1-3
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

I have just done a test, both ground station and find my Phantom are on the exactly same spot,- so no bugs here.
App are 1.0.54
Naza-M are 3.06
2015-1-3
Use props
robertlam18
lvl.1

Hong Kong

The latest app I can find on IOS is 1.0.43
and MC is on 3.08

You can try to update your Naza to 3.08
2015-1-3
Use props