Who is using Fat Shark Goggles ??
9261 12 2016-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MartyR
lvl.1
Australia

Hi All

I'm new here and new to drones as well having bought a DJI P3 Pro the other day and after a few connection issuses with the DJI Go , I'm up and flying around getting used to the unit.
Only using my phone as the tablet is on its way to give me a larger view and see if this is what I'm after or not , then I came accross Fat Shark Goggles is there anyone here using them on their DJI ? What do you think of them , are they worth the money ?

Cheers Marty
2016-1-16
Use props
MartyR
lvl.1
Australia

Hi Bryan
Thanks for that , I'm still up in arms if I'll get one or not , I run a 7" tablet but seeing some closer images of where I'm heading to would be great
I'm talking about 1km away or more

Cheers Marty
2016-1-17
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

MartyR Posted at 2016-1-16 23:11
Hi Bryan
Thanks for that , I'm still up in arms if I'll get one or not , I run a 7" tablet but seei ...

Aloha Marty,

Bryan is right about the goggles.  They are good for others to use.  I have a 10 inch tablet for flight control and a choice of goggles (Dominator HD2, 4:3 ratio) $500 and a 15 inch monitor (GeChic 2501H 15.6" 1920x1080 Portable Monitor with HDMI and a Sentey 20800mah Portable Charger Power Bank) a little over $400 including the power bank.  Both work well and really help when others want to see what you are doing.  I often utilize my monitor for the video (with OSD) and the tablet for the satellite view and map use.  Waypoints is really different this way because you can see all the numbers real well.

The monitor also works well as a second monitor for your laptop.  When you use two or more screens on your desktop, it is hard to go back to one screen.  Now even your laptop can have two screens!

But, be aware that the goggles come in 4:3 and 16:9 ratios.  They also have foam and cup interfaces with your eyes - and the new ones have a little fan.  There are some videos on YouTube about this.  The new batteries seat in the headband much better than the old batteries, but the Fat Shark batteries do not come with a charger.

I do not get to fly much with the goggles because I live in a very dense area (jungle).  But, one of these days I will get out to the flat lands and fly my okole off with them!

Hope this helps.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-17
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Also note that if your using glasses remember to get the correct lenses for the googles!
2016-1-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I have the Dominator HD's and have no regrets on the purchase.  Mostly though, I don't use them for flying.  I do program waypoint flights, fly it once to make sure everything is okay and I don't have to adjust at any piont.  If the flight is good, I will do it again with the goggles on.  Usually it is the person with me that uses them - like my grandkids, friends who insist on going flying with me.  It allows them to feel more engaged with the activity as opposed to just standing there and watching me fly.  I connect them off the tablet as opposed to the controller, this way they get all the flight telemetry from my screen. My grandson loves this.
2016-1-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stick with a Tablet. It is a better experience and much safer in that you can see what is around your Phantom.
2016-1-17
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I have tried several types of video glasses over the past few years.  The best ones I have tried are the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED goggles.  (I have the HDMI module installed on my P3 controller.)  The Goggles do give you a great view of the camera but it comes at a cost.  For starters you can't operate your tablet with the goggles on because you can't see where your fingers are on the tablet screen.  Secondly...  If you do ever loose the signal or the video link fails you will have a hard time removing the goggles and searching the sky with your eyes to locate your drone.  It's kinda disorienting.

Another issue with the Phantom "Lightbridge" technology is latency.  As the signal starts to degrade the system builds up significant latency.  I have experienced 3-5 seconds of delay on my Phantom 3 Pro on many occasions.  If I were flying by the video screen alone I would have crashed into trees or telephone poles before I ever saw the collision on camera.  There is no good way to predict how much latency is happening either.

The analog video transmitters do not have latency.  The picture quality is much lower due to the standard definition analog system but they don't lag.  The image might get static and interference but you never experience latency on an analog video system.  This is why FatShark uses analog video transmitters.

I decided it was not worth the risks on my Phantom 3 setup.  I prefer using a sun shade on my iPad.  It lets me look up and keep an eye on the drone.

Happy flying.

2016-1-17
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

I almost went with Zeiss Cinemizers but saw it was discontinued and have since orderede the Glyph (vaporware at this point).
The Fat Shark Goggles just looked a little fat.  The only reason I want glasses or goggles is to stop my friend from looking over my shoulder.  <smile>
2016-1-17
Use props
MartyR
lvl.1
Australia

Calvette Posted at 2016-1-18 08:32
I almost went with Zeiss Cinemizers but saw it was discontinued and have since orderede the Glyph (v ...

Thanks for the replies
I might hang off for while and see what I'll be doing
cheers Marty
2016-1-18
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

MartyR Posted at 2016-1-18 00:54
Thanks for the replies
I might hang off for while and see what I'll be doing
cheers Marty

Marty I'm sure this video must be posted somewhere on the forum but I wanted  to make sure you saw it.

2016-1-29
Use props
d.j1977
lvl.2

Israel

I am using the dominator v3 and i think them diffrent from ipad is that when i use tablet i feel like i am playing computer game.but when i use the fatshark i feel like i am flying.i bought tham from this seller he was very helpful and got it in 4 days.
2016-1-29
Use props
d.j1977
lvl.2

Israel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161907053777?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
2016-1-29
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

i know that the biggest users of these FPV goggles are Quad250 racers. It allows them to control the small drones more precisely since these drones do not have the GPS in them as the larger ones have. I've watched these guys race their drones and they are incredible, they zip through tight spots that you would never guessed you can do at those high speeds with a quadcopter.

If i had a choice I probably would go with the Glyph. The Fatshark, at least most that I've seen, completely cover your eyes. The Glyph allow you to be able to look down and up and see your remote and up in the air to spot your drone without having to remove the goggles.  
2016-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules