Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"You'll crash!", wise man said ...
1731 19 2016-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So, I meet this guy at the DJI dealership store, doesn't matter when and where. He was like 65, maybe older, replacing damaged parts on his bird. Apparently nothing critical, but something went wrong, no doubt. I couldn't help but asked him what's happen. "Oh, I was flying in Atti, forgot that the braking doesn't work the same way like in GPS mode and the bird hit the tree and, ya know...".

Meantime i was taking care of my business, evaluating the features of displayed Inspire 1 Pro before purchase and listening to salesman's explanations. With good intentions - I believe - both guys assumed my total ignorance in that matter and took the position of an veteran pilots with scars and wounds. When I raised a question " Was this accident avoidable?...", they sort of stared at me with this polite smile and only slightly ironic grimace. "When you crash your bird for the first time - and you will, sooner or later you will, my friend ..." - they replied - " than you'll know..."

This anegdotal opinion is chasing me since like a nightmare. Is crashing my $5K bird really unavoidable, a destiny embedded in my future, a sentence without chances for mercy? So far I did 25 hours on numerous machines without even a single close call, but that's perhaps because of my very cautious, laid back flying style. But they said "no matter what, you will crash!"...

Now, seriously. Of course my flying style is not determined by this obsessive vision of unavoidable and destructive crash. It's the kind of service the Inspire is providing me with as a stable and enormously high tripod for photo camera. That's all. Yet, I'm expecting my bird to go where I couldn't or can't otherwise. Therefore the possibility of something to go wrong is lurking from above. Always.

Statistically speaking, however, it'll be interesting to know what percentage of us suffered total loss of the bird caused by malfunctioning, piloting error, bad luck or God's will. Is there anybody with - say - 100 hours of flying and no "write-off" crash? Perhaps DJI people may know some statistics, comparing the sale and repairs volumes. For what one can see clearly, they're very busy fixing these fallen angels, and the cost of warranty fixes is reflected in the price tag.
2016-1-17
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Just take it easy, fly conservatively and don't push the limits.
Consistently follow a checklist every time you fly, carefully observe the condition of the bird and don't rush to update f/ware or apps until others have reported success.
That way you'll be golden.

Ignore such 'sage' advice as you heard - don't let the inattention/incompetence of others hold you back.  
2016-1-17
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

The problem is they change many undocumented stuff in firmware each time. Like 1.5.030 has a gps lock in panorama mode but 1.6.040 has not. This is written nowhere. You will see when you do a panorama in 36km/h wind and while it worked in 1.5.030 your plane will drift away with 10m/s in 1.6.040 and hit the next tree or building before you may be able to react. So was it avoidable? You could have tested in simulator or tried lower wind first but can you really test any function after each new firmware to find out where the glichtes are?
2016-1-17
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

The problem still is that you dont know what things in flight behaviour each fw update changes. I have also a much longer brakeway since 1.5.030. No matter if I set brake gain at 70% or 130% it takes a long way to brake now. I am not sure if this is a "feature" or the setting is just broken.
2016-1-17
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have flown RC Large Helicopters for several years and quad copters for the last couple of years, the old saying has always been if you don't want to crash then don't fly.
With the helicopters we all practiced auto rotations in the event of a flameout unfortunately with a quad copter there is no reduncency if a motor should stop.
Running into things is always going to bring some damage to what ever we are flying.
No matter what craft i take in the air there will always be this nagging sense of what if i crash but you have to overlook this thought or you will never try anything in life.
2016-1-17
Use props
TommyJeep
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50423 ft
  • >>>
United States

About a decade ago I purchased a Suzuki GSX1000R street bike.  Everyone told me I would crash.  Several people told me it's not "if", it's "when".  A couple years and about 10,000 miles later, I sold the bike.  I still haven't crashed a street bike, and likely never will since I don't own one anymore.

I don't think it's automatic that you're going to crash.  I suppose the longer you own the bird, the more the odds are that it might happen, but it's not an automatic.  
2016-1-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-17 06:07
The problem is they change many undocumented stuff in firmware each time. Like 1.5.030 has a gps loc ...

Hey Macho

I really wish they would lesson the major updates and fixes. Your right, we do not know all of the changes as DJI only reports the big ones. Software and hardware changes affect everything. Before taking a unnecessary risk, you should try some of the features in normal conditions before pushing the envelope.

Rich
2016-1-17
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

TommyJeep Posted at 2016-1-17 17:39
About a decade ago I purchased a Suzuki GSX1000R street bike.  Everyone told me I would crash.  Seve ...

How often did you put a chinese software update on your Suzuki GSX1000R ?
2016-1-17
Use props
Hits9Nine
lvl.1

Canada

I practice non gps flying with the quad in the front, I crash it all the time and don't really care.  The one in the back however is not ment for crashing.  Get yourself a practice quad and get all the crashing out of your system.  Also there are no trees 250 feet up

211.jpg
2016-1-17
Use props
rbaaij
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73871 ft
United States

Hits9Nine Posted at 2016-1-17 15:55
I practice non gps flying with the quad in the front, I crash it all the time and don't really care. ...

What practice quad do you use, front of the table?
2016-1-17
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-17 07:42
Or do as I have done, freeze the automatic changes and then get to know your aircraft intimately b ...

Good idea as usual, Paul. But, for what I believe, the Go app doesn't let you ignore any firmware update. It's flashing red warnings, demanding to perform updating procedure. Can you shush it? Please elaborate.

You said that you have a "little toy for crashing". What do you mean? You're practicing deliberate crashes with another, badly beaten and duck-taped Inspire to learn how to avoid crashes?

Matthew.
2016-1-17
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

The answer is "kind of yes" but don't let that scare you.  Crashing isn't the end of the world since it refers to everything from a kind of rough landing to catastrophic loss.

I've had my Inspire for a year and "crashed" maybe 3 times.   My bird still flies perfectly and never required any kind of repair.  I have one $9 replacement gimbal cable which I haven't needed to put on yet but will soon, and that's the extent of it.

So keep your wits about you and fly freely.  You will have some scary moments, that's the nature of the game, but you will be fine.
2016-1-17
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

You don't have to afraid of it that much. If you are careful enough, you will not crash , If you was careful but still crashed because of machine failure DJI will take care of it.
2016-1-17
Use props
easiair05
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1336942 ft
United States

I started with rc collective pitch helicopters and this advice is true......you will crash and spend hours on repairs for minutes of flight, especially in the beginning. I have never crashed the Inspire  but my 450, 550 and tarot 680 have crashed, but mainly due to glitches with firmware, radio control (interference) or mis-programmed transmitters etc..  I fly the hexes and Inspire conservatively but "crank" my 450 to get the ya-yas out. If I crash it there is no expensive camera or gimbal to replace, and its what I learned multirotor flight with. I fly with confidence even though you read of all the problems, but I always have a test flight with the first battery in close and in the open before I fly out to any distance and close proximity to objects to achieve a mission. Just glean the information about the updates, watch for any of the "symptoms" and ground yourself if there is any question. Good Luck and safe and happy flight!
2016-1-17
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

I crashed my first i1 the same week i got it... 900$ later still flying like a champ and i got a 2nd i1 just to show how much i love that bird.
2016-1-17
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

"For some men, nothing is written" Lawrence of Arabia...

Use caution and a checklist, and fly like your life depends on it, I say...
2016-1-17
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Many thanks to all of you out there for so much of good vibrations. After all, as Visual Air put it so brilliantly " If you don't want to crash, then don't fly ... ". How true, indeed.
2016-1-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Knock on wood, I've never crashed
2016-1-18
Use props
Hits9Nine
lvl.1

Canada

rbaaij Posted at 2016-1-17 16:43
What practice quad do you use, front of the table?

Carrera RC Quadrocopter VIDEO NEXT is my practice quad
2016-1-18
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

There is an old saying in the world of Radio Control, " If you are Gonna Fly.....You are Gonna Cry".   I have been flying RC aircraft and helicopters for 25 plus years.  Some of my ships are 25 years old and others met there demise on their maiden flight.  There are many variables in the world of Model Aviation, I Try and keep the variables low by being prepared and flying smart.  Have fun and never fly with an aircraft that is out of your budget comfort zone . ( If it crashed would it hurt you hard financially). At about the $2,000 to $ 3,000 it stops being relaxing and fun, and I worry to much about how much I could loose.

****My statistics would be 95% pilot error and 5% equipment failure.

Cheers - Donnie
2016-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules