My first ever Phantom 3 Pro flight - or any drone!
1499 13 2016-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
prescottc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

OK. So I had never flown a drone before - and it is a testament to how easy the Phantom 3 is to fly. I watched lots of video tutorials, spent a while with the simulator and then watched a load of 'how not to fly a drone' disaster videos (just to make sure I knew what could go wrong) and then set off to make my first ever aerial flight video.

My home town of Burton on Trent in the UK is a little flooded at the moment - if you have ever visited the UK, or are from the UK, you will know that it just rains and rains. I thought it would be interesting to take footage of the flood plains protecting my town.

The light wasn't too good - and I am learning all the time on how to use the video camera settings. I put together the video in Premiere Pro.

2016-1-18
Use props
Charliethunder
lvl.1

United States

Great job man!
2016-1-18
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks great
2016-1-18
Use props
kevans77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170823 ft
United States

Great job. Just bought mine a little over a month ago with no previous experience and I am having a blast.
2016-1-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Gee.  You might want to slow it down at touchdown.  That was kind of a controlled crash landing.  
2016-1-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Good job !
2016-1-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Nice Video.

What I have learnt is, unless you have an interesting sky-line, the videos/pics look better if you pan the camera a few degrees down. In that way you get less of the grey sky, more of the interesting landscape, the camera also adjusts it's shutter to produce a well exposed shot (see the difference at 2:40 when you pan down) and you avoid getting the arms/props in the shot.

Otherwise it's a fantastic vid....( I know that area well, I used to live in Nottingham, and traveled through there often)
Happy Dron'in!
2016-1-18
Use props
prescottc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-1-19 05:40
Gee.  You might want to slow it down at touchdown.  That was kind of a controlled crash landing.

Yes! I've got the landing a little more controlled since this first ever landing ..
2016-1-20
Use props
prescottc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-19 07:06
Nice Video.

What I have learnt is, unless you have an interesting sky-line, the videos/pics look b ...

Hi,

Thanks... It was my first ever flight so still learning..   I understand that polarising and nd filters can help make the sky a little more interesting .. I'm going to invest in some I think..!
2016-1-20
Use props
smokincigar
lvl.3
Canada

Well done....and you got the whole "fly over water thing" out of the way as well
2016-1-20
Use props
prescottc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

smokincigar Posted at 2016-1-20 18:28
Well done....and you got the whole "fly over water thing" out of the way as well

Thanks... I'm looking forward to the whole "flying on a clear day" thing too... But that won't happen until May..!
2016-1-20
Use props
Mr. Andronio
lvl.2

Denmark

First time flying... ever?
That was a flight well done. ☺
2016-2-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

prescottc Posted at 2016-1-20 09:01
Thanks... I'm looking forward to the whole "flying on a clear day" thing too... But that won't hap ...

Aloha prescott,

You had me really confused there for a while.  I kept wondering how a newbie had found the black and white setting on the camera and I did not even know one existed!  Then I realized upon further viewing that it was just the gray, post rain low clouds and haze.  Nice video!  Very interesting area.  If this was your first, we look forward to future efforts.

BTW, if you cannot land in a soft area, i.e. short grass, make a soft landing pad about one meter square (old rug, etc.).  It will really save you on wear and tear on your P3.  A landing like that with a P2 Vision + could have disarticulated the camera gimbal.  But that was back in the old days last year.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-6
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

This is the English weather for you. It looks like a nice day to me...
2016-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules