United States

cool post the info was useful
2016-1-26
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-20 21:47
they selling iPhone for 649 $, but the cost of producing is around 200 usd...

$200.00 include marketing fees. Production cost is less than that.
2016-1-26
Use props
nhoover
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3458045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting Tim. Very nice article.
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nhoover Posted at 2016-1-27 10:04
Thanks for posting Tim. Very nice article.

Thank you! Glad you liked it
2016-1-26
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-20 21:47

You know what,  I would assume without much errors that the cost of an IPhone in China right at the exit of the manufacturer would be more in the vicinity of 75$.
2016-1-27
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

sotiris.boutsis Posted at 2016-1-22 03:36
**** The author has been banned or deleted automatically shield ****

using this kind of phrasing is not only inapropriate but you know. My way of describing this is the following :

It's a whole lot better to ''  shut-up '' and let people think your DUMB than opening your mouth and confirming it !!

I am sorry If I offended someone but, I could not let this one go without mention.  so I reported you kid.
2016-1-27
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

DJi-Tim.   

A very interesting post.   

PLease....keep them coming   on different topics.
2016-1-27
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Dompie Posted at 2016-1-28 15:04
using this kind of phrasing is not only inapropriate but you know. My way of describing this is th ...

Dompie - You probably did the right thing bud!,...I think my response may have been a bit subtle. - There is no excuse for offensive language or profanities in an informative article well written by one of the DJI reps and where everyone bar one person has contributed positively. - Thanks.
2016-1-27
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tim,
An excellent article. Always great to find out how products work.
As with all products, you pay your money and make your choice. There are plenty of other drones out there; most without anywhere near the development and level of functionality for the price.  No one forces anyone to buy anything.  

Keep up the informative posts Tim; they're well appreciated.  And I'm still loving my new toy....

Cheers,
Ian in London
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Dompie Posted at 2016-1-28 12:04
**** The author has been banned or deleted automatically shield ****

being polite and not using offensive language are two very basic things on our forum. Hope you can follow the rules of the community after 1 week of ban
2016-1-28
Use props
UAVMonkey.com
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-20 23:09
I believe the Black Adapter is simply a PSU that outputs 17.5V to a max 5.7 amps.
So for a P3, a Be ...

A Bench-top PSU works perfect   I use one to charge P2,P3 and inspire batteries. Nothing really that smart about the DJI charger....
2016-1-29
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

UAVMonkey.com Posted at 2016-1-29 21:39
A Bench-top PSU works perfect   I use one to charge P2,P3 and inspire batteries. Nothing really  ...

Great.!   Yes the black adaptor is simply a PSU. The "Smart" stuff is in the battery. Just be Extra careful with the Bench PSU to keep it regulated to the correct voltage for each battery. Like 17.5volts only for the P3. The P2 and Inspire batts will require different voltages. Also always remember the that LiPo batteries should never be left alone when charging. Always keep an eye.

2016-1-29
Use props
TattooedMac
lvl.1

Australia

I bought 3 Batteries from a retailer here in Western Australia, and when I got them they were all, at complete discharge. Will this in effect reduce the overall performance of the battery??
the first flight I did with one of these batteries, I took off from Home Point and ascended directly above me, and proceeded to take images for a Pano and then retuned home with 7% left on battery and got only 14 mins flight time where I could get 18 min on  another battery flying around.
Would this be because of how low the battery was when I received it ??
2016-1-30
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

hi time great info.  I need help regarding my battery on one of my posts. can you please check it out
2016-1-30
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

luigi.tarascio Posted at 2016-1-20 16:22
At 428% price increment. We need more competitors IMHO.

They are  out there at half the price but you will loose your warranty if you use them.
http://www.banggood.com/4500mAh- ... dard-p-1027251.html

Just in case anyone interested or has an old p3p that has no warranty anyway.
2016-1-31
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

I'll take your word for it.  :-)
2016-1-31
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Michael M Posted at 2016-1-31 09:17
hi time great info.  I need help regarding my battery on one of my posts. can you please check it ou ...

Yes, Mike I've seen that one, and as Ken said, they just give you a new one, and don't spend too much time analyzing the broken one
2016-1-31
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Bhujang Posted at 2016-1-31 23:58
They are  out there at half the price but you will loose your warranty if you use them.
http://www ...

3rd party batteries not only have no warranty by themselves, but also will void the warranty of the aircraft
2016-1-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-31 18:23
Yes, Mike I've seen that one, and as Ken said, they just give you a new one, and don't spend too m ...

thanks Tim
2016-1-31
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

Hi Im new to this site but i think what your looking for already exists..

I found this discharge device when i first got my P3 about 3 weeks ago. Its cheap (only few $$) and will auto discharge to safe storage voltage without having to have any drone involved. It has both 1A and 2A load settings.
I have been using mine to cycle down from the end of each flight and then once its cooled to charge back to full charge.

I do come from  a RC back ground and have been using similar for many years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart- ... 26sd%3D371526161135

you can also get a cable with full battery contacts here

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm ... ;abbucket=15#detail

ALSO when it comes to charging the DJI battery caddy is very useful and i think this should be modified by DJI to permit the charge to safe state (storage) voltage???

2016-2-1
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

add a photo for your consideration

DJI battery cable

DJI battery cable

discharge

discharge
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Dr Jon Posted at 2016-2-2 12:51
add a photo for your consideration

What do i have to consider about this photo? Consider wheather it's advertizement on a forum and do i have to ban it or not?
2016-2-1
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good job Tim. As I said earlier, hopefully most will appreciate the R&D dollars and time in manufacturing a quality product justifies it's cost.
2016-2-2
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-20 19:54
in theory it sounds ok, but if something happens to the battery after charging with 3rd party powe ...

Tim, are you saying that the battery is smart enough to recognize the breed of power source and record it's electronic password of some sort? Therefore, in case of battery failure DJI may say: Hey, dude, you've used wrong power supply! Bad, bad, no dinner tonight!... . I wouldn't be surprised if that's the true ...

The advantage of more beefy (or not), good quality 3rd party power supply with adjustable voltage (i.e. SKYRC eFuel 50A/1000W, 15-30VDC) is that it allows for charging either Phantom or Inspire batteries in bulk. Perhaps a safe compromise will be to use DJI charging hubs as a "middle man" solution for proper management and distribution of the power. Of course it makes sense only for a few of us flying multiple birds of various brands and models quite extensively ...
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

dobmatt Posted at 2016-2-3 11:12
Tim, are you saying that the battery is smart enough to recognize the breed of power source and re ...

hahh, what i meant to say is if something happens with the battery on a charge with 3rd party charger  like overcharge,  over-discharge, disbalance or any other abnormal stuff , DJI will not be responsible for it...
2016-2-2
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

I am confused why DJI doesn't separate the integrated circuits from the actually Li-Ion cells.  The cells could be replaced and still use the same intelligence to monitor and manage the battery.  This looks like a typical ink jet cartridge or Keureg  model to me.  
2016-2-2
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-2 20:33
hahh, what i meant to say is if something happens with the battery on a charge with 3rd party char ...

Tim, I'm begging you for forgiveness if you sense a smear of intentional sarcasm in my reply, but tell me please: is it possible that 17.5 VDC in Hong Kong is somehow different than 17.5 VDC in - say - Kosovo? If I'm not mistaken you wrote that the black box contains a transformer and commonly known circuitry to produce and enhance DC current on output. Nothing else, I assume, no encrypted digital validation code within. Another words, undoubtedly smart DJI battery has no way to determine if DC voltage delivered to it's receptacle was of genuine DJI value or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong.  
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

dobmatt Posted at 2016-2-3 14:01
Tim, I beg you for forgiveness, but tell me please: is it possible that 17.5 VDC in China is diffe ...

It's not only about voltage and amperage.  Lipo chargers are a bit more complicated then that.
2016-2-2
Use props
billnj71
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1357556 ft
United States

Does plugging the charger into an inexpensive inverter through the cars cigarette lighter damage cause problems for this process?
2016-2-3
Use props
billnj71
lvl.1
United States

Sorry by plugging the adapter into the inverter
2016-2-3
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

Tim,  can we expect a battery firmware update any time soon for our P2 batteries to improve the re-calibrate routine?  
2016-2-3
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

TattooedMac Posted at 2016-1-21 14:09
I would ONLY buy a 3rd party Battery, if DJI had a system like Apple and there MiFi certification. I ...

Its not the battery that is the problem with the hover boards... its the charger...
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yorlik Posted at 2016-2-4 08:40
Tim,  can we expect a battery firmware update any time soon for our P2 batteries to improve the re-c ...

I don't have any information on P2 batteries update right now
2016-2-3
Use props
billnj71
lvl.1
United States

Im sorry was thst a dumb questuon ?
2016-2-6
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

This is really cool! thanks.
2016-2-8
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Since when do I need a voltage meter to prevent over discharging???
Just use a proper charger and that will do the job much better.
It's not all just bad, because it's not DJI. You guys are a little much to self-confident sometimes.
2016-2-9
Use props
rigzllc
New

United States

Umm, how do we report the Bone Head (willson12) above? Jeesh!
2016-2-9
Use props
rigzllc
New

United States

Hey, if anyone is still monitoring this post. I'm looking for an answer to the following question please: regarding the latest firmware update, at what ambient temperature (in Fahrenheit please)  does the system reduce the propulsion output on the phantom 3 for battery protection? I ask this because lately I find myself being forced to fly in rather strong winds. My concern is that If the propulsion output is reduced while I happen to be pushing 400ft elevation in a strong wind the phantom may not be able to overcome it thus losing my drone.
2016-2-9
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

rigzllc Posted at 2016-2-9 22:46
Hey, if anyone is still monitoring this post. I'm looking for an answer to the following question pl ...

I think it's 15 degrees C or 59 degrees Fahrenheit
2016-2-9
Use props
Sinisalo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1066804 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-20 19:47

I agree, the 64gb iPhone 6 only cost $12 more to make than the 16gb but they charge $100 extra for 64gb. That is an 833% increase. Any business would want to get the biggest margins they can, if anyone has a problem with that maybe they should try starting their own business.
2016-2-10
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules