HD filter on the Standard?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
retired dog
lvl.2

United States

I was wondering if anyone knows how to install a ND filter  on the camera that comes on the Standard? Thats the only thing thats keeping me from getting the Standard instead of the Advanced one. Thanks
2016-1-19
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

http://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-P ... rs+Phantom+Standard
Should slide over your camera lens.

Someone mentioned the PGY filters yesterday as well. Less expensive, but I have no experience with them myself:
https://www.google.com/search?nu ... 1061461114700028647

2016-1-19
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

There are many more reasons to spend the few extra $$ to get the Advanced that are not just the filters. I know because I upgraded after only owning the Standard for a few weeks.

The Standard range can vary from OK to disappointing. The Advanced range is amazing allowing you to get to hard to reach places without losing signal.

If you are really into the photography aspect then the Advanced has other advantages. First, there is the filter aspect. The slip over plastic film filters are a pain to use and easily smudge/scratch. Many of the glass fit over filter for the Standard seem like they are too heavy and may stress the gimbal. Remember you are not replacing the lens cover like on the Advanced, but adding weight by putting another piece on the lens. Having the camera controls on the remote make for easy adjustments rather than using primarily the touch screen on the app.

The remote on the Standard is kind of lightweight. If you plan on using an iPad you will need to add a flimsy third party clamp or modify the remote which would probably void your warranty. Look at the replacement cost for the remotes, $139 for the Standard and $590 for the Advanced/Pro.

So please think hard and review again before ordering.

2016-1-19
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think those that fit over the lense would work,  haven't had any expirence with them.  As far as which craft to but,  it all depends on your needs.  I have a standard with a wind surfer that will hit the 2 mile mark.  Does what all I need and I'm happy to use the extra saved in batteries.  To each their own
2016-1-19
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-19 11:40
I think those that fit over the lense would work,  haven't had any expirence with them.  As far as w ...

I have experience with some of the fit over filters. the lightweight one you can get on eBay comes with a 3D printed ring and thin film filters. It weighs next to nothing and you can stack them to get different ND values. I found them difficult to use without scratching or getting fingerprints on them in the field.

The glass filters from Polar Pro weigh 8 grams. That seems like a lot of weight to put on that very sensitive gimbal system. Your camera is balanced and points forward when the Phantom is off, right? Put on a Polar Pro filter and the camera points straight down. No longer in balance. When you turn it on the gimbal motor has to work harder to keep the camera level. Some people add weight to counter balance. Now you have even more stress on the gimbal. There are filters made by Taco that are only 2 grams I think.

Still, this is just a theory on my part. Many people use the glass filters and seems to be happy with them.

The Standard is very good. I never tried a Windsurfer. I am a photographer and the ease of use with the controller made a big difference for me. The dedicated RTH button is nice too.

Just food for thought.

2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with the others, there's a lot more that the Advanced offers over the standard. If you are able to afford the extra $300, it is well worth the difference in features.
2016-1-19
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im pretty sure that if most could afford the extra 300.00 they would upgrade.  But I suspect DJI saw the need for a standard version and probably are selling them like hot cakes.
2016-1-19
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-19 13:08
Im pretty sure that if most could afford the extra 300.00 they would upgrade.  But I suspect DJI saw ...

That was why I originally went for the Standard. It was all I could afford. After a few weeks with it though I realized that the Advanced offered a lot more than the (then $200 difference). So, I found a way to get it. The current sale prices are great. I paid much more for the Standard and the Advanced. At $499 the Standard is very attractive for those who want to get into the hobby.
2016-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules