Itelite Long Rang Antenna
3632 20 2016-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Does anyone have actual experience with this antenna modification?
If so, Does it perform as adverised?

See this Video:

Itelite Antenna.jpg
2016-1-19
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2629813 ft
United States

I installed this antenna on my Inspire-1 controller a few months ago and love it.
I am not a super long range flyer and do not usually fly much more than 1  to 1.5 miles away from myself, but I always seem to have a good strong signal unless I am too low in altitude with too much forest in between myself and the aircraft.
Most of my flying is within about a half mile distance and I usually always have a solid 5 bar signal on both control & video signals.
2016-1-19
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

tkeeg Posted at 2016-1-19 16:37
I installed this antenna on my Inspire-1 controller a few months ago and love it.
I am not a super l ...

Thanks tkeeg,

Does it throw the signal through the trees better?
2016-1-19
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
United States

rfrye Posted at 2016-1-19 18:27
Thanks tkeeg,

As you may know, for RC use 900 MHz has the best obstacle penetration, followed by 1.3Ghz, then 2.4Ghz and finally 5.8Ghz.  So, for being a 2.4Ghz system it is pretty darn good for such a small antenna.  And yes, it penetrates considerably  better than the stock antennas in my opinion.

The best part of doing this modification is that if you have a true need for a very long range flight and super penetration you can buy a pair of large, long range 2.4Ghz yaggi or similar style antennas, mount them on tripods and attach their lead wires to the antenna input terminals that you have installed in your controller, then you can do almost anything!
2016-1-19
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

tkeeg Posted at 2016-1-19 17:50
As you may know, for RC use 900 MHz has the best obstacle penetration, followed by 1.3Ghz, then 2.4 ...

You know this stuff, tkeeg. I appreciate your explanations and comments.
THANK YOU!
2016-1-19
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

tkeeg Posted at 2016-1-19 17:50
As you may know, for RC use 900 MHz has the best obstacle penetration, followed by 1.3Ghz, then 2.4 ...

tkeeg,
Installation of opening my remote make me a little nervous. Comment on "do's and don't" while installing - if you will, please
2016-1-19
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
United States

rfrye Posted at 2016-1-19 19:08
tkeeg,
Installation of opening my remote make me a little nervous. Comment on "do's and don't" whi ...

I followed the instructions in this video which was produced by the manufacturer of the DBS antenna.
For me the hardest part of the procedure was breaking the top & bottom portions of the controller after removing the screws.  Mine was fitted together very tightly and took more force than I expected to get it to come apart.
Also, I did NOT remove nor alter in any way the original antennas.   I just disconnected the wires from them and left the wires and antennas in place.   I wanted to keep them mounted in case I ever decided to sell the controller at some time in the future.
Other than that i just followed the directions exactly and everything worked out great.
Best of luck to you!
2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

cool  antenna! I'd like to try it out and see how good it is in the city full of tall buildings and signal interference, cause that's exactly the environment i'm flying in every day
2016-1-19
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-19 21:20
cool  antenna! I'd like to try it out and see how good it is in the city full of tall buildings and  ...

With this modification - what happens to our warranty , Tim?
2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

rfrye Posted at 2016-1-20 11:47
With this modification - what happens to our warranty , Tim?

Void...   Direct interference in aircraft hardware...
2016-1-19
Use props
artichoke
lvl.1

United States

I didn't know the camera controls are on the Wifi band.  (The second video shows the 5.8 GHz side of the antenna masts.)  Why did DJI do that when they have a 2.4 GHz system?  I haven't made any long flights yet.  Will I lose camera control before max. range?
2016-1-20
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
United States

artichoke Posted at 2016-1-20 19:23
I didn't know the camera controls are on the Wifi band.  (The second video shows the 5.8 GHz side of ...

The 5.8 GHz antenna is what the two RC controllers use to talk to each other when you are using a dual, 2 man RC setup.Communication to and from the aircraft for both control & video is all done in 2.4GHz.
2016-1-20
Use props
artichoke
lvl.1

United States

tkeeg Posted at 2016-1-20 19:38
The 5.8 GHz antenna is what the two RC controllers use to talk to each other when you are using a d ...

OK thanks that makes sense.  Thanks.

Although come to think of it why couldn't you have the two people far from each other, that would be a sort of an interesting feature I'd think.  My friend takes off his drone and calls me up, and I run the camera without leaving my own house.
2016-1-20
Use props
tkeeg
lvl.3
United States

artichoke Posted at 2016-1-20 20:57
OK thanks that makes sense.  Thanks.

Although come to think of it why couldn't you have the two p ...

According to DJI, the maximum distance for communication between the Master & Slave controllers is 50 meters or 164 feet and the signal between them is 5.8 GHz which is not very good a penetrating walls & other barriers.
2016-1-20
Use props
artichoke
lvl.1

United States

tkeeg Posted at 2016-1-20 23:17
According to DJI, the maximum distance for communication between the Master & Slave controllers is ...

Well yeah, it doesn't work with Wifi.  It would have to be on the 2.4 GHz frequency to work.
2016-1-21
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

rfrye Posted at 2016-1-20 00:27
Thanks tkeeg,

No. It does not help anything when there are obstacles between. Its fine as long its in line of sight. However I had similar results with the 20 USD windsurfers also. I did net get better results with DBS antenna.
It will boost range much more using a 6101510 Inspire and a 658C RC.
2016-1-22
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-20 05:02
Void...   Direct interference in aircraft hardware...

Actually in most countries not the warranty is void - unless DJI can prove there is a direct connection between the warranty case and the modification - but the usage allowance for the RC is void. But who cares...........

Probably in Hongkong it might be the opposite - I dont know Hong Kong laws.

2016-1-22
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
Puerto Rico

Hi,
I also have had this installed on my tx's, since august.
By far the best $ i've spent on any accessory (except maybe rennat's filter set)
I am also not a long range flyer, I keep to LOS.
What i did gain, is almost never to drop video.
The penetration thru trees and buildings is incredible. I don't fly like this much, but did test it and was blown away by the difference.
I can also say, that I've flown to 1/2 mile, edge of LOS at this location, was able to do full 360 with aircraft and never lose video.
I paid for the install, DBS is a pleasure to deal with as well.
I recently flew alongside a stock i1 and forgot about what it was like to deal with.
I was able to modify the original case to carry the antennas, not attached, but in the case.
Good Luck
2016-1-22
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
Puerto Rico

I forgot to mention, I added these cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-male ... Ll98qVSCC6xWKhAtyWA
I read about them in the other forum, asked DBS when I ordered and he said they would be an improvement. I ordered the 4" and they fit nicely.
2016-1-23
Use props
artichoke
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone tried both the simple parabolic reflectors that drop over the antenna sticks, and this?  How do they compare?  As I understand it, the antenna would be quite directional after either mod.  How about distance and tree penetration capability?  I have 100 foot trees all around here.
2016-2-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting but, you are totally on your own. No Warranty and God forbid if someone gets hurt, think about the Liability that you have incurred. Don't mean to rain on your parade but mods like this are really out of reality.
2016-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules