Do I lose gps without cellular
5126 17 2016-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvernace
lvl.1

United States

I was just told that since my iPad is wifi only and not cellular that I would lose gps?
Is this true?
It would have been nice to know that
2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Only the cellular version iPad has a GPS module . So , if you are going to use the "Follow Me" with an iPad , you'll need a cellular version one .
2016-1-19
Use props
tvernace
lvl.1

United States

Ok, I don't have the cellular one,.
So do I lose anything other than follow me?
And WHY DOESN'T DJI SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT.........?

I bought this iPad after I bought the drone, because the android tablet I had to buy for the drone keeps dropping djigo,
So this is the second tablet I bought to use the 1000$ drone.  And I still don't have full functionality? You think they could say this when you call and ask if your future tablet purchase is compatible or so where where in the list of compatible devices.
I, sorry but I've poured over 2grand in this hobby and bought two tablets that they say should work and neither do.  Let alone the surface  tablet I already owned that the v moor said would work before I bought the 1000$ drone.
Phantom advance and a phantam standard for sale!!!
2016-1-19
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

tvernace Posted at 2016-1-20 15:32
Ok, I don't have the cellular one,.
So do I lose anything other than follow me?
And WHY DOESN'T DJI ...

I use a wifi-only ipad just fine.  You will "lose GPS", so to speak, just for the transmitter/iPad home position, not the aircraft.  Depending on where you are in the world, it might still be able to figure out your location, not as accurately as GPS but within a short distance.  iOS can calculate your position from other wifi and cellular tower locations if you are in "developed/populated" areas.  Open the MAPS app and see if it can find your location.  If that works, your location can be determined.  I also tend to carry a pocketWIFI for cellular data over wifi, which might assist in locating my position, and for downloading map data etc.  If you are in the middle of nowhere, you might not be near any cellular towers or wifi base stations for the device to calculate where you are.  This is where an ipad with GPS would be advantageous.  If you don't have GPS built in to your ipad and you are in a remote location you still have another option.  You can get an external GPS unit and connect it via bluetooth.  iOS will see it as a native part of your device and you will get all of the functionality of an ipad with gps built in.  The downside is another separate device to buy/carry/charge.  These units are actually more accurate than the built-in GPS devices.  Unfortunately you can't just use a cheap Chinese $10 GPS unit, you have to use an Apple approved receiver.    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3013785?tstart=0  I believe you need one which is WAAS-capable (Wide Area Augmentation System).  Garmin GLO, DUAL Xgps150a, Bad ELf, GNS 2000 are a few to look at, there are more expensive units beyond these.  Most if not all have GPS and GLONASS receivers , just like in the Phantom, for improved accuracy and reliability.  I don't think the iPad has GLONASS so you are ahead there as well.  Pilots use these inside their aircraft to use GPS with their iPads in flight, as the internal unit is HIGHLY unlikely to work.  They are around $100 or more, but you might find them cheaper, especially second hand or on ebay.  It worked out cheaper for me than buying the cellular iPad, as I don't use cellular data from the device, but use the pocket wifi for multiple devices, depending on what I'm doing, saves me having multiple accounts and bills...   I haven't fully tested what the "follow me" feature is tracking - the GPS unit or the iPad.  I should put one on the ground and walk off with the other to figure it out one day.  However if you keep them together, you wouldn't know the difference.  Hope that helps.
2016-1-20
Use props
tvernace
lvl.1

United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-1-21 00:21
I use a wifi-only ipad just fine.  You will "lose GPS", so to speak, just for the transmitter/iPad  ...

ok.. I guess so long as it can return to home that's my primary concern.
I was going to get the autopilot app and use the preplanned waypoints for flight.  but i'll probably just test out the return to home in a known area.
most of my flying is in and around populated areas .. parks, the beach, going into rural areas isn't very common for me.
2016-1-20
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

I have a bad elf gps for my ipad that works very well.  It uses the lightning port for power and connecting.  You can still charge the ipad with a port provided on the gps unit.  I use my ipad as a gps in my car at times, so the add on gps was needed.  (yes, I have to use a mapping app that stores the maps on the ipad.)..

With this solution, you still wont get maps displayed on the DJI GO app unless you download and store them local before heading out.  
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

No GPS in you tablet has nothing to do with RTH, you still have all the RTH features.
The only thing you will lose is the Follow Me feature and resetting dynamic homepoint to the controllers location (still can reset homepoint to the aircraft location.
My iPad Air has GPS and my iPad Mini does not, I fly with both and am perfectly fine. For the very rare time I would use Follow me then I just use my phone because it's much easier moving around in Follow Me mode with a small phone attached to the RC than a clunky tablet.
2016-1-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

We discuss having an external bluetooth GPS and follow-me here.
2016-2-4
Use props
bill
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13946959 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot and connect my iPad to it. Works like a charm. That way I can have an updated map too.
2016-2-4
Use props
ObiDon
lvl.1

United States

Perfect! I had not thought of using my iPhone as a hotspot! Great idea, thanks!
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ObiDon Posted at 2016-2-5 11:53
Perfect! I had not thought of using my iPhone as a hotspot! Great idea, thanks!

I don't think using your phone's GPS will make follow me work, but at least you will get live map data.
2016-2-4
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

tvernace Posted at 2016-1-20 20:51
ok.. I guess so long as it can return to home that's my primary concern.
I was going to get the a ...

Autopilot app with preset waypoints ?  Tell me more

One of my plans for the summer is to capture videos flying round the many castles we have here on the Anglo-Scottish borders and I've been worried about losing signal when my P3A is on the other side of the castle ... preset waypoints sounds like the solution I need.
2016-2-5
Use props
videomaker
lvl.2

Brazil

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 01:44
No GPS in you tablet has nothing to do with RTH, you still have all the RTH features.
The only thing ...

Hello Ken,  I need to record aerial images of a road from a moving vehicle, going about 40km/h at an altitude of about 40 to 50meters high for continuous stretches of about 7km at a time, which should take about 10 minutes to cover each stretch. Can you tell me if I will be able to enable dynamic home point with my Inspire 1 using an Ipad mini 2 with wifi only? Which dynamic home point mode (RC or Aircraft)  should I choose for this task?
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

videomaker Posted at 2016-2-14 17:43
Hello Ken,  I need to record aerial images of a road from a moving vehicle, going about 40km/h at  ...

Yes, you can easily do that, you should be able to use both the aircraft and RC as home point. The Inspire RC has a GPS in it and it is used for Dynamic Home Point. You just need GPS in your device for follow me.
BUT, test before and walk around and reset to the RC and make sure it resets to the RC.
2016-2-14
Use props
videomaker
lvl.2

Brazil

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-15 12:40
Yes, you can easily do that, you should be able to use both the aircraft and RC as home point. The ...

Thanks for your help Ken, really appreciated here. I tried today but had no luck setting it either to RC or AC. Motors have to be running , is that right? Any other settings I should check for this to work?
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

videomaker Posted at 2016-2-14 21:57
Thanks for your help Ken, really appreciated here. I tried today but had no luck setting it either ...

It sounds like you are trying to reset it while it's on the ground not flying.
Find an open area and start walking and flying the aircraft in front of you. Every few minutes )or whenever you like) reset the home point either to AC and RC and that should work.
2016-2-15
Use props
videomaker
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-15 10:44
It sounds like you are trying to reset it while it's on the ground not flying.
Find an open area a ...

Got it, will try it. Thanks!
2016-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

videomaker Posted at 2016-2-16 03:42
Got it, will try it. Thanks!

It will work, let me know how you like it.
2016-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules