GEO-FENCE
7589 112 2016-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

gas.tube Posted at 2016-1-20 12:09
Doesn't bother me a bit. I quit taking updates at 1.4. I will wait until it all gets straightened ou ...

I see you have v1.4, I still have v1.3. Which do you think is better? Any advantages &/or fixes does 1.4 have over 1.3? Is it worth the update? Have no plans to go to 1.6 at this time, so many issues.
2016-1-24
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

I like your pole. I do agree with the Geofencing to a point, we need to fly safe & it forces those who don't to do so. Don't know what the answer is, maybe a height requirement no more then 300-400ft. It's a shame that there are so many who do not fly safe it has given UAS operators a black eye, they are the ones who created this problem we are dealing with.  Just watch youtube videos of people going up a 1,000ft or higher above the clouds bragging about it.....this is crazy & dangerous. Not only to passing aircraft but maybe a electrical malfunction, a prop coming off, or an overheating problem. Now this thing is falling to the ground an could possibly kill someone. I've been up more then a couple times & had a bird try to hit it, he lost that fight but it did happen a few times.

With that said....Everyone seems to have an issue, for me I live in the Florida Keys, no matter where you go up its an epic shot of the islands & surrounding water.  Marathon is in the middle Keys & has a airport. The island is approx 5-6 miles long & 1/2 mile wide for most of it except in a couple locations. The 5 mile radius would pretty much encompass the whole island which would render my DJI completely inoperable. Key West has a large airport with airlines flying in & out all day, there is also a air base just before entering into Key West, Boca Chica Naval Air Base. No flying at that end of the island chain. I always fly safe & will continue to do so, just want my motors to arm & enjoy taking aerial photographs instead of sitting there on the ground doing nothing.  That's why I plan not to update my firmware at this time. Fly Safe !
2016-1-24
Use props
Richard.frankli
New

United Kingdom

Hi all, I'm trying to unlock a geofencing zone (which I've unlocked successfully a few times in the past), but the website won't validate my details any more and just refreshes, meaning it fails. Is anyone else having this problem this weekend?
2016-1-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2016-1-24 06:34
I see you have v1.4, I still have v1.3. Which do you think is better? Any advantages &/or fixes do ...

Jp,

1.4 will open up all of the advanced flight modes including autonomous waypoint flying. It was a major update for advanced flying. I'm back on 1.4 after updating to 1.5 but due to weather haven't been able to fly much. I flew 100+ flights on 1.4 and lots of waypoint and orbit flights and love it.

Here is my opinion. Go to 1.4 and stay there, do not update to 1.5 or further yet. Until all of this crap is ironed out. If you don't go further than 1.4 you can always go back to 1.3. I'd also try to stay on 2.4.3 on the DJI Go app. jMHO.

Jerry
2016-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-1-24 22:49
Jp,

1.4 will open up all of the advanced flight modes including autonomous waypoint flying. It wa ...

1.4 is not available from DJI to download anymore. We suggest going to 1.6.
2016-1-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-24 11:43
1.4 is not available from DJI to download anymore. We suggest going to 1.6.

Got it, Ken! I don't use warranties so you don't have to worry about me! Many of us have archives of all the firmware.

Jerry
2016-1-24
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-21 00:27
Exactly, in those "what if's" you had a simple solution.
If something were to happen and you could  ...

I hope you're not being serious
2016-1-24
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

gas.tube Posted at 2016-1-21 01:09
Doesn't bother me a bit. I quit taking updates at 1.4. I will wait until it all gets straightened ou ...

Be careful with the go app.
DJI may "enforce" the GeoFencing updates via the GO APP I heard.
(True or not?  --  I'm not positive)
I'm on an older version with no plans to update.   My android device for the Go App has no means of making an internet connection outside of WiFi which I always leave off.  I do not care for these hassles and do not want them.   

For many, this is no longer a hobby.....it's become a chore.   None of my UAVs are affected by this fiasco so it's not bothering me personally at this time.
However,  because of all this if I should be in the market for another...I will definitely look outside of mainstreamr products that utilize these restriction schemes first.
But more than likely, seeing the way this is all headed, I'm done with purchases and will just fly what I have as long as I can then find a new "hobby".
One that's not burdened with encumbrances and is actually still enjoyable.

Many people might turn to self built UAVs.
The only device that really matters is the flight controller and all Phantoms/Inspires have DJI's Naza as far as I know.
But there are otheres out there.  Anyone ever hear of OpenPilot controllers?
Maybe not quite as sophisticated at this point, but also less cumbersome.

As long as we all remember that flying a UAV comes with responsibility.
2016-1-24
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-1-25 04:12
(True  ...

I know a few people that use arducopter and ardupilot systems on a commercial basis without any major issues whatsoever. I'm currently gathering parts to build a Pixhawk controller based fixed wing system. I still have a Wookong M 900 series hexa that also isn't plagued by geofencing issues.
2016-1-24
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2016-1-24 06:34
I see you have v1.4, I still have v1.3. Which do you think is better? Any advantages &/or fixes do ...

I saw no difference between 1.3 and 1.4. I still have the option to go back down since I never took 1.5 and I still have the 1.3 file if needed. I don't recall a lot of people having issues outside of having to re-calibrate everything so you would probably be OK if you decided to update to 1.4. They seem to fly about the same.
2016-1-24
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-1-24 12:12
(True  ...

I am still using an old version of the Go App as well. That tablet stays offline so there is no worry of a "forced" upgrade. Even if I make a mistake and turn on the WiFi and inadvertently take an update, I have the old version of the Go App backed up and stored in 3 places. I will wipe the tablet and reinstall the older version. I am quite serious right now about not taking updates and will go to any length to stay on 1.4. That feeling may change later when the DJI coders get there stuff together, but right now I am not budging.
2016-1-24
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

gas.tube Posted at 2016-1-21 01:09

Do you happen to still have the bin file saved on your sd card? I run fw 1.3.2 but want 1.4, would be interested in a copy if that's possible? Countrysidegardensco@gmail.com thx
2016-1-24
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

1.4 is when they introduced poi / follow / waypoints isn't it? If that's 1.5 I'll just stay at 1.3....
2016-1-24
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

countrysidegard Posted at 2016-1-24 17:14
Do you happen to still have the bin file saved on your sd card? I run fw 1.3.2 but want 1.4, would ...

Check your email
2016-1-24
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

gas.tube Posted at 2016-1-24 16:20
I saw no difference between 1.3 and 1.4. I still have the option to go back down since I never too ...

I'll stay at 1.3 for now but at least I know I can go to 1.4 without any problems. Thanks for your input
2016-1-25
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-1-24 09:49
Jp,

1.4 will open up all of the advanced flight modes including autonomous waypoint flying. It wa ...

Looks like I'm staying with 1.3, Ken said 1.4 isn't available anymore.
2016-1-25
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2016-1-25 04:35
Looks like I'm staying with 1.3, Ken said 1.4 isn't available anymore.

If you want the POI/follow me modes enabled and want to move up to 1.4, let me know. I'll give you a copy (P3A).
2016-1-25
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

The results of this Poll tell a pretty decisive story......I believe this to be a pretty accurate sample in line with the other websites I visit.  Has any one heard any rumors, on the release date of the geofence?  Im scared to update until I get some feedback from users of the official release.

1) I am simply hoping that DJI will incorporate some kind of an off switch for professional uses

2) I would like to see a  reduction and more relaxed attitude toward yellow zones.  

3)  I believe a way to deactivate yellow zones with a telephone system would Alleviate many of the complaints about being out of cell service or internet service .... The is because most places have access to a land line or sat phone,  while cell towers and internet access cannot be guaranteed.

4) We would like some official  assurance that even  if DJI servers or down or become obsolete, that  our equipment will continue to work for years to come.  we bought a piece of eqipment from DJI under the understanding that it would work.... even if DJI were removed from the picture all togather. Thats like buying a Tractor from John Deer and not being able to turn it on  if John Deer goes bankrupt..... most of us wouldnt buy that tractor under thos conditions

With just these few modifications I think DJI would repair a lot of bad PR with its current customer base.. it would be nice to get some official response from DJI on these issues.
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-1-28 15:52
The results of this Poll tell a pretty decisive story......I believe this to be a pretty accurate sa ...

Again, users posting polls doesn't mean much in the big picture. BUT if this one did, then it says most users may not mind but only if the zones were at airports and sensitive areas and that's pretty much how the authorization zones are.
They are being updated, as now if you look at the maps, it's just about only airports and sensitive areas that are authorization zones. There's warning and enhanced warning zones but no authorization is required to fly in them.

And a phone system wouldn't work because the app needs the authorization and in an area with no cell service how would the app get the authorization information to unlock the zone.

And trust me, DJI will only get bigger and is not going anywhere. I have that view as a DJI user, but also as an employee and can see all the products in the pipeline that will blow your mind.
2016-1-28
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 10:22
I'm here only as tech support and do not know the how everything was implemented and all the reaso ...
But it is just a Beta for users to test if they wish to

Sorry, but thats crap.  Beta doesn't get put into release firmware.  Beta doesn't get force-fed into devices and OS.  Beta doesn't get rolled into published applications that auto-update.

If its beta, sir, why then does my Phantom say its in a restricted zone sitting on the floor of my living room?   And I don't wish to "test" it, how do I "opt out" of this beta?

I am sorry but your analogies are all wrong.

What if your cable company that you had purchased a year subscription to suddenly decided to restrict you from viewing TV from 5pm until 5am because someone decided to make it so and didn't inform you of that fact.  Oh, and they dropped all the sports channels to.

What if your cell phone company suddenly decided to shut off all texting service, all data service and all the buttons and screen on your phone if it detected it was in motion just because you MIGHT be driving.  Never mind the fact it can't tell if you are in the passenger seat or on a bus or in a taxi.

What if your car suddenly got a firmware update that let you get some cool new display options on the radio.  Oh and after you had updated it, you found out that suddenly you were not able to drive above the speed limit.  And it would automatically force you out of the car pool lane if it didn't detect a passenger.  Oh and you can't ever go back to the prior software.

I am pretty sure you would be as ticked off at your cable company, your cell company and your car company as we are at DJI right now.

When there is a dialog on the screen that says "You are in a No-Fly Zone", there is no button labeled "So what, fly anyway".  Thats not testing.  Thats forced.

DJI went out of their way to roll this into published FW.  They then locked it down so we can not clear the NFZ data, we can not roll back FW to prior releases before your so called "beta" was included.  The DJI app automatically updates unless specifically told not to.  It automatically downloads NFZ data and there is no option to tell it not to.  Thats not testing.  Thats forced.
2016-1-28
Use props
David-Kent
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Couldn't of said it better myself wolfiesden. Was very p***ed off to see there was nothing in the update description about big NFZ  
I just hope Dji get it right, the latest map looks like a winner for the uk.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-29 05:10
Sorry, but thats crap.  Beta doesn't get put into release firmware.  Beta doesn't get force-fed  ...

In order to be on the Beta app, you have to download the 1.7 firmware on your aircraft and 2.4.4 on your Android device and accept lots of terms. So you ARE NOT on the Beta app if you didn't willingly install it.
red no-fly zones are around airport and if you live within a mile or so to an airport then you may not be able to take off. If you get a little further out then you can fly on a 15 degree angle outwards starting at 30m
If you cannot fly, and must fly next to an airport then DJI allows you to do that with the GEO app and authorizing zones to let you fly right over the runway of the airport if you want but by authorizing it, it put 100% responsibility on you.
So basically DJI opened the flood gates and will let you fly just about anywhere you want but you take the liability if you do something stupid and attempt to get photos of landing aircraft or something like that.
2016-1-28
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-1-28 15:52
The results of this Poll tell a pretty decisive story......I believe this to be a pretty accurate sa ...

AlaskanTides,  - Nice Post. I think you have summarised some key concerns in a few lines. I know he may have received many emails on the subject, but as its succinctly put, It would be worth sending this in an email to Brendan.
2016-1-28
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-29 03:48
Again, users posting polls doesn't mean much in the big picture. BUT if this one did, then it says ...

Hey Ken
> Products in the pipeline that will blow your mind.

Any way you can give us a "sneak Peek"?     {:3_52:}
2016-1-28
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

You miss the point.  It says I am "In a No-Fly zone".  Its in-freakin-side my living room.  Why should I be getting authorization to fly in my own damn house.  No Cessna or Heli asked my permission to fly in my living room.  Why am I being asked to take time to register, to take time to get a certified account (whatever the heck that actually is), to take time to go to a website and grovel for permission to fly in my living room.

And google maps says I am 2.5mi from the airport.

You also missed the point of purchasing the device.  DJI doesn't own it anymore.  I own it.  Ford (or whatever you drive) doesn't own your car, you do, are they responsible for you getting in an accident by speeding?  No. You are.  Is DJI responsible for causing an air crash of a Boeing 747 on final if I fly my P3 up in its way?  No.  I am.  I am sick of companies trying to protect us from ourselves.

And I am sorry I sound angry.  But I am.  Not at you personally though, you have been very helpful here.  The whole stupidity of the situation with forced NFZ and geo fencing crap.  I don't need a freaking nanny.

When I put together my $11,000 Barret rifle system that is fully capable of taking your head off from 2 miles or more away, Barrett didn't come in and tell me not to shoot street signs from my back yard with it.  I have the common sense not to do that.  So why is DJI taking the stance that they need to nanny everyone on a constant and permanent basis.

Yall could make everyone (except the government) happy by simply putting an off switch which disables all geo fence/NFZ forced boundaries in the software.  Accompany that with a disclaimer box that the user accepts the responsibility of disabling the "safety system".  No need to connect to the internet.  No need to log into a web site.  No need to for all this pussyfooting around with anything.  Let me disable it and get on with flying around my house.  DJI won't do that because there is something going on with government(s) behind the scenes.  I can smell it.  And it stinks.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-29 07:06
You miss the point.  It says I am "In a No-Fly zone".  Its in-freakin-side my living room.  Why shou ...

have you tired to arm the motors?
2016-1-28
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-28 10:48
Again, users posting polls doesn't mean much in the big picture. BUT if this one did, then it says ...

So customers opinions and polls of such don't mean anything?  The big picture is this, if it's not functional no one gives a rats butt about how mind blowing cool it looks.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-1-29 13:01
So customers opinions and polls of such don't mean anything?  The big picture is this, if it's not  ...

I didn't mean that, I meant a user posted poll here on this forum does not speak for the majority of the users in the world and only the 169 people did the poll, and the biggest percentage said they are partially fine with GEO Fence if it covered airports and sensitive areas.

2016-1-28
Use props
philloder
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-21 13:27
You are not in the Beta app, To be on the Geo Beta app you must install the Beta software with you ...

Dji-ken
I have done everything customer support said to do in emails before they stopped offering suggestions. The one thing they did not suggest was to delete and re-install the app.
Your fix did correct all my issues and I am able to fly again.
Thank you
2016-1-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

philloder Posted at 2016-1-29 23:52
Dji-ken
I have done everything customer support said to do in emails before they stopped offering  ...

I'm glad you are up and running, and I'm sorry that suggested to you earlier.
2016-1-29
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 03:06
It's happened to me before too. I think it may happen if you're logged in and use a different devi ...

Yes - That may explain it. I was logged on 3 devices at the time.
Once again - Thanks Ken.  

2016-1-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-29 19:43
Yes - That may explain it. I was logged on 3 devices at the time.
Once again - Thanks Ken.  

Glad it's working now.
2016-1-29
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-29 13:22
I didn't mean that, I meant a user posted poll here on this forum does not speak for the majority  ...

A statistical sample is just that...they will certainly very results with user groups and geographies. However on this forum we have a bit of everything ( perfect place for a poll) and in my opinion  those numbers fall in line with the opinion I'm getting elsewhere.

A majority of users or OK with geofence in sensitive areas..... In my opinion that means they don't approve of yellow zones nor unlocking them.

Also 1/3 or 33% of the customers don't like any form of geo-fence .... That number is alarming on its on.

In Summary,  there is a middle ground. (I believe most customer's will go with) withBut if DJI does not find it and get it right before implementation ...this could effect market shares.

That's my opinion and this is just one sample ( that I can provide) to prove where my opinion is based....

I believe It's a sensitive subject Ken..... Privacy concerns, concerns over ownership of property & concerns of a foreign company asserting their influence where it shouldn't be .....the list is huge.

Your a very intelligent guy and you are optimistic... I respect that.  I'm only recomending that DJI uses caution with the level of of control and method of implementation.

I'm going to express and debate my opinion
2016-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules