Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How do you organize your files?
570 4 2016-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jobem
lvl.2

United States

I've been flying for about a month now and I have many photos (J+R) and videos. For the most part I've just be putting them in directories that match the date so the files don't overwrite each other. But that seems pretty arbitrary. I was thinking maybe I should figure out an auto-naming scheme and then tag the images so I can group them in different ways.

How do you all organize your files? Do you keep everything or just the gems?
2016-1-20
Use props
gherd
lvl.3
United States

I have been working part time as a photographer for 20 + years.  When digital came along, I realized quickly that I needed to get a handle on organizing.  What works for me is, I create a folder named by the year each Jan 1st..  Under that, I create folders for each event or, sometimes using the date.  All video and photos go into the appropriate folder.  For shots worth keeping note of, I name the file to something descriptive.  All folders are automatically backed up onto a second internal drive and a network attached drive.  At the end of the year, the yearly folder is burned onto disks.  One copy is put in a binder in the house, the other copy is kept off site. This system works well for me.  
2016-1-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Mine are chronologically stored.  There's a folder for each date and topic.  Easily searchable by topic or date.  i.e.  2016-0116 Test Flight FL230      
2016-1-20
Use props
PeVee
lvl.1
United States

I use Adobe Lightroom.  Not only can you do image correction and printing, it is an image organization system as well.

Each topic/job has a folder and in that folder is a RAW & Movies folder that the files go into.  The folder is imported into Lightroom.  This makes it easy to see the images I have by job, folder or drive, but I can assign keywords to the images.  I can search for images by camera used, lens, date, keyword, filename, etc.  A really powerful program that I can't live without.

It is about $149, cheap for Adobe.
2016-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules