GO app 2.5.1 and Geo Fencing Question
1917 14 2016-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nwhit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

I didn't install GO app 2.5 but then put 2.5.1 on just my iPhone (normally used for my Osmo). I went to the DJI Geo site and looked at the new "Authorization Zones", which it appears replace the previous No Fly Zones. Problem is that they cover virtually the entire city and suburbs of San Diego. Previosly, the NFZ's were just around the airport area. Now they extend out over the entire city and overlap so that there literally is almost noweher to fly, inlcuding the local RC club's fully authorized field. Looks like a person will need permission to fly anytime anywhere.

I did try requesting a 3-day authorization online and it went smoothly. However, on the iPhone using 2.5.1, it still is showing the red NFZ's on the map, not the new yellow Authorization zones.

Question: Is that working correctly? Will the new maps show up only after an upcoming firmware update? I'm a bit confused. I am still on FW 1.5. Didn't upgrade to 1.6 because we don't really get cold weather here. Thus is it FW 1.6 that would then show the new "Authorization Zones" instead of the past NFZ's?

And not too happy that even the local club flying field, beaches and other popular flying areas will require a login/authorization every time you want to fly. If I understand right, once "verified" on DJI's store site, as long as you are connected to the internet on your device, when you are advised that you are in or near an advisory zone, you can click for permission to fly within the app. But if for some reason that isn't working due to server issues, connection problems, etc., it appears a person is 100% screwed. No flying whatsoever until problems resolved. Not the most elegant solution to the problem.

2016-1-20
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Dji has taken it upon themselves to do this what would you expect from a company in a communist country,  This is totally insane.  How could Dji possibly stay in business?  I will never buy another product from dji,  My inspire and P3 are not the same piece of equipment I paid for they no longer are viable.  there needs to be lawsuits and full refunds to those that want  
2016-1-20
Use props
nwhit
lvl.3
United States

In this particular thread, I would like to stay focused on answering the question and leaving the debate for the various other threads already complaining (I also do not agree with the current implementation). The system is in place. I and many others need to understand how it works (and hope it gets changed). We need to fly, so need to understand what to do in order to fly.

Is it FW 1.6 that changes the GO app's map's NFZ's into the newer Authorization Zones? It's not the 2.5.1 version of the app since I have that loaded.
2016-1-20
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

nwhit Posted at 2016-1-20 18:45
In this particular thread, I would like to stay focused on answering the question and leaving the de ...

I think it is in the app but once it connects the first time it downloads the data to the bird I have read in other threads that this is the case if you go back to an earlier app then the fencing is still there so I have read.  this is a serious matter and the outrage should be loud this is not what we purchased we were not made aware that we would lose half the area in the country to fly and photograph. Does anyone know if using litchi will alleviate this problem?
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

nwhit Posted at 2016-1-21 09:45
In this particular thread, I would like to stay focused on answering the question and leaving the de ...

You need to delete the app and reinstall.
The version you have does not give you authorization zones. Right now there is no IOS GEO Beta app, it's only available as 2.4.4 on Android and the Beta app for the aircraft is 1.7.
Firmware version 1.6 is just the normal current version, it does not have any authorization zones in it.
There was an error and some Beta app data was bleeding into the IOS GO app. If you delete and reinstall and power everything up and leave it on in with GPS lock for 5 minutes then it will update correctly.
2016-1-20
Use props
nwhit
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 18:52
You need to delete the app and reinstall.
The version you have does not give you authorization zon ...

Thanks for clarifying this, Ken. I really hope DJI can fix this thing. As a licensed pilot for many years, I understand airspace and why there needs to be some type of regulation/control for these small aircraft. They can easily get into the flight paths of manned aircraft if not flown with knowledge of controlled airspace and general aviation practices and rules.

However, the current DJI solution to turn the entire city of San Diego and surrounding suburbs into an authorization zone from the ground up has no merit, does not align with aviation rules and makes it extremely difficult for reasonable, safe and legal flyers of RC aircraft. In some cases, legal owners of DJI aircraft will not be able to fly at all if they cannot figure out the complex system, or if they simply do not want the huge intrusion into their completely private and legal flight activities.

Please ask senior management to rethink this matter and align the restrictions to controlled airspace only.
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nwhit Posted at 2016-1-21 11:50
Thanks for clarifying this, Ken. I really hope DJI can fix this thing. As a licensed pilot for many ...

The authorization zones are in the Beta app and its just for Beta testing. If the app does become a release I believe the area will be more defined.
I too am a pilot,  and yes San Diego area is covered with authorization zones. But they should get more defined. For instance Torrey Pines glider port is the same size as SAN, so in time the zones should get more defined.
2016-1-20
Use props
nwhit
lvl.3
United States

Exactly. And they need to be the "inverted wedding cake" to allow for low level flying in non-controlled airspace.
2016-1-21
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-21 05:25
The authorization zones are in the Beta app and its just for Beta testing. If the app does become  ...

Its not only in San Diego - all the zones are set wrong like I already pointed out for Austria and Switzerland. I doubt DJI will correct this because they just set a standard radius around some points without thinking. They grab some database - if its correct or not - and put a circle around it. They do not distinguish for different radius in different countries and also not if its a real airport or a grasshopper flield and also not if its allowed to fly in a specific altitued in a zone.

My updating finishes with 1.6 - lost enough features already with this like speed 22m/s ---> 18m/s, 500m orbit limit in ANY software not only DJI, 500m alt limit making impossible to fly up a mountain, cannot fly a straight line forward and back anymore,...............and many more issued

2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-22 21:00
Its not only in San Diego - all the zones are set wrong like I already pointed out for Austria and  ...

I am sorry that you are not liking the restrictions as others are as well. Wait and see if the GEO app gets corrections, and if it does not then just don't update. As for the other things that have changed, they feel its safer to protect the aircraft form damage.
2016-1-22
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-22 13:00
Its not only in San Diego - all the zones are set wrong like I already pointed out for Austria and  ...

Machoman - I have only ever seen you moan about the Inspire and berate everything about it.

I have never seen you praise anything or say you are pleased - EVER.

If you are so upset and detest every firmware restriction why dont you just sell it and get something you like?

Just sayin......
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nwhit Posted at 2016-1-22 13:01
Exactly. And they need to be the "inverted wedding cake" to allow for low level flying in non-contro ...

That is how the no-fly zones work. The inner circle within 1.5 miles or so of the airport depending on the shape and size of the airport you cannot fly. Then from there you can fly 20m and higher  (15 degree angle)as you get further away.

The GEO Beta app lets you fly anywhere around a zone (previously no-fly zone) after you authorize the zone.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
2016-1-22
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-1-22 17:01
Machoman - I have only ever seen you moan about the Inspire and berate everything about it.

I have ...

Thats not true. I liked it when I bought it and it didnt have all the restrictions. I started with critics when undocumented limits and restrictions were applied with inreversible updates which affect my flight experience.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-23 02:01
Thats not true. I liked it when I bought it and it didnt have all the restrictions. I started with ...

I am sorry you are not happy with your DJI product. I've tried to assist you but as far as new things that come out, it's there to make things better. Their will some that disagree and I'm sorry, DJI does have a reason for implementing changes that they do.
2016-1-22
Use props
lessinspired
lvl.1

United States

This new geofencing kept us grounded for a full day while on a shoot in a very remote location.  We were no where near a no fly zone according to charts and the FAA app.  We finally got inspire to fly by downloading beta on a very slow internet connection.  This was not only extremely embarrassing, but cost us time, money and reputation.  I am not very happy that after spending around $15,000 to become fully FAA compliant I was grounded by the manufacturer.  I now cannot trust the DJI Inspire 1 Pro for shoots if they have any control of where I fly.  

I would like to recommend the following solution.  Allow users to enter their Section 333 number, Tail Number and Pilot Certificate number for totally unrestricted flight.  We already have to file flight plans, deal with FAA and additional COA’s... asking permission from DJI after that is completely absurd.
2016-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules