Grounded on Day 2. Camera Fail?
2101 28 2016-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Jesus, drone is only 2 days old.  I flew today at lunch (3rd flight).  Tonight, had to run to the store with the granddaughters so didn't get to try to fly until now.  Picked up a new uSD card and a set of gloves that makes touch screens work.

So I power up the controller, fire up GO.  Turn on the bird.  And...no video.  Nothing in Lichi, nothing in GO.  I can't change any settings for the camera.  I can change things for the bird.  The gimbal scroll wheel does not move the gimbal.  The C1 does not move the gimbal either.

Its never been crashed.  It rode in a blanket in the back seat of my truck to and from work.  I used the gimbal lock when not flying.

The camera swooshes around as normal (assume its checking the gimbal).  Most of the time it will then level.  And then it drops dead like GLADOS at the end of Portal 2.  Limp.

I have tried every possible power up sequence I can think up.  I even powered up the bird with no controller on.  Does the same thing every time.  I have tried with the new SD card I bought (32g Sandisk Ultra) and with the 16g that came with the Phantom.

LED on camera:
Rapid green flashes for a while
Goes black
Rapid flashes for a while
Sometimes a RED solid then green solid  then repeats.
All the while the gimbal is a limp noodle.

I am growing more and more frustrated with this thing.

I recorded the boot process using my phone.  Maybe yall see something here I am not.

2016-1-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Wolf,

Power everything up and open DJI Go. Go to "about" and record your version numbers from that screen, provide that info in your next post. In the meantime, shut everything off and check the cables going from the camera and the gimbal to the bird. There is one going to the top left side of the gimbal when looking at it from the front. Take a small screwdriver, push the tab in and pull the connector out, then reseat it.

You said you got a new SD card, why? Did you try the original card again? Just looking for places to start.

Jerry
2016-1-20
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-1-20 22:27
Wolf,

Power everything up and open DJI Go. Go to "about" and record your version numbers from that  ...

Did all of that already.  I used a flatblade to slip up the two drone connectors and then re-seated them with tweezers.  I checked all the ribbons on the gimbal.  Didn't remove any of those but I looked them over well.

I bought a new SD, 32gig.  Came with a 16g.  I have tried both SD cards.  No difference in gimbal behavior.

I had checked versions yesterday..
Here is what the GO says in the about:
GO: 2.4.3
RC: 1.4.30+
Firmware: 1.4.10+
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you attempt a firmware update to 1.6 and see if that fixes it.
2016-1-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-20 22:38
Did all of that already.  I used a flatblade to slip up the two drone connectors and then re-seate ...

Wolf,

Although I have great respect for DJI-Ken, I wouldn't do that update just yet. Let's see if you can get it up and rolling on 1.4 first. I'll post something for you to try next in a few more minutes. Acknowledge that you got this note and that you're not going to update to 1.6 just yet and I'll proceed to try to help you.

Jerry
2016-1-20
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

No.  I only want 1.4.10.  I don't want the problems and bugs of the newer firmwares.  I did try putting  P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin on the SD (new AND original).  Booted it up but it never begins the upgrade beeps.
2016-1-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-20 23:01
No.  I only want 1.4.10.  I don't want the problems and bugs of the newer firmwares.  I did try putt ...

Wolf,

I'm not sure I can help you, perhaps you should do as DJI-Ken suggested.

Jerry
2016-1-20
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Well, its been sitting for 30+ minutes.  Zero change in any status.

Honestly, I think I am about at an end with this.  I will leave it on all night and see what its doing in the morning.

Its been total BS from day one.  Constant crashing with GO.  Random light patterns.  Sticks not controlling the bird.  And now a camera that don't work.  Just one headache after another.  I am done.

At this point this works out to $333 per flight.  Roughly $111 per minute of flight time.  And $5000 per mile of flight.  For these prices, I can rent a real plane, take a real flight and take real pictures out the real window.

I am about to the point I am to find someone who will pay shipping and I will send them this POS and they can deal with this garbage.  I mean, Jesus, 2 days, 3 total flights and its been total headaches from the day I ordered it.  Now I wish DJI had just refunded me my money and not shipped the damn thing.

JtrJr-UAV Pilot I appreciate you at least trying.  Safe flights.
2016-1-20
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

What mobile device are you running? DJI GO runs solidly on a clean device, so it crashing a lot has me wondering if much of your problems aren't stemming from the device?
2016-1-20
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

This current issue has nothing to do with GO.  The RC is sitting downstairs.  The Galaxy S5 is sitting right here.  Lichi runs fine.  Right now the P3 does not.  Well, I should say the camera does not.  The P3 seemed to connect and respond to Lichi.  But no video.  Thats when I saw what the gimbal is doing.  App software doesn't have any connection to this issue as the P3 does this without any controller turned on or any device connected to it.

I need to just walk away and go to bed before I take it outside and see how it gets along with a 12# sledge.  Although your avatar made me consider another alternative.  The P3 may indeed take a trip to the range.  Not as a camera.  As a target.

Nite.
2016-1-20
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-21 00:10
This current issue has nothing to do with GO.  The RC is sitting downstairs.  The Galaxy S5 is sitti ...

We need to get it hovering to maximize our fun on the range  

Smarter folks than me will be along to solve this but if you can get to central Alabama, I'll supply the range, the firearms, and the ammo/tannerite as needed
2016-1-20
Use props
Travis726
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600676 ft
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-20 22:54
Well, its been sitting for 30+ minutes.  Zero change in any status.

Honestly, I think I am about at ...

I'll gladly pay shipping to take it off your hands . jk (well not really, but you know).

I hope you get the issue sorted. I am trying to figure out if I want to buy a phantom or another brand. As far as features/price go nothing comes close.  Seems like customer service and maybe reliability could be lacking with dji though :/
2016-1-20
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-21 00:15
We need to get it hovering to maximize our fun on the range  

Smarter folks than me will be alo ...

Kinda got that covered

And I got some live-in help

And they are pretty good at it too.  The younger one (bottom) can punch 7 and 8 rings with her Savage 17hmr from 300yd.

2016-1-21
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

I have sent contact to DJI through two paths (email and via their web form) requesting a prepaid shipping label.

If they respond I will box it up and they can deal with their defective product.

If they do not, I will institute a PayPal dispute for the entire purchase price.  If successful, they can have it back if they pay shipping.

If all that fails.  There will be a youtube video documenting the problems since day one and the refusal of DJI to rectify the issue.  And finally a range day when it warms up around here.  Pretty sure that will be popular on a lot of forums, drone and gun forums.

2016-1-21
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

Oh we can be good friends. NightForce glass on the MRAD tells me all I need to know....that.....and that faint pinging that seems to happen right after you pull the trigger  

I don't have a shooting partner (wife and daughter just aren't into it), but I am a gun dealer by trade. I *might* be able to get my hands on a weapon or two.

So all that aside, I'm really hoping you get your gimbal figured out. You will absolutely love it when you do, but I completely understand the frustration at this point.
2016-1-21
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

Where did you buy it? I see you live in United states?

I bought my last 2 birds from BestBuy...They have an awesome no question policy...just return get another..

I'd never order anything from DJI...I like the instant gratification from going to the store or maybe even Ebay.
2016-1-21
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-21
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

No messages in DJI GO such as gimbal overload?

Have you tried a IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration in an attempt to get the gimbal to behave then move on to the lack of video?

Also perhaps an upgrade to 1.5 would be worth a try, you can downgrade later to 1.4 if that works and see if the problem reoccurs.
2016-1-21
Use props
christopherglen
lvl.1

United States

Did you attempt the 1.6 firmware?  If you refuse to do the one thing DJI asked you to do to attempt to diagnose the issue....
2016-1-21
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-21 10:08
Oh we can be good friends. NightForce glass on the MRAD tells me all I need to know....that.....and  ...

I was shooting at a 4" x 5" steel torso.  Set two phantom 3 batteries next to each other.  Thats BIGGER than what I was shooting at from 1/3 mile away.  5 out of 5 in <20sec.  Trust me, the phantom won't be a challenge.

Got 3 granddaughters into it.  15yr (my Big Caliber Girl) has run through my AR (300aac), my 1903a3, my Mosin and my Barrett.  She shoots IDPA with me (or did, she's moving to texas with her father).  The two younger ones (photos above) still are in small caliber stuff.  About to work the 11yr into a Rem 700 in .223 with a bull target barrel.  The younger one loves her 17hmr.  The fact she can hit any part of the bullseye let alone 7-8 rings using a cheap bushnel simplex scope aiming about 6' in the sky above the target carrier from 300yd impresses the crap out of me.  And the other 5 guys who saw her do it too.  250yd is about the operational limit to the 17 and she was punching black from 50yd beyond that.  At the age of 9.  Can't wait till she's physically able to handle heavier hardware.

Where in ALA are you?  I run I-65 from MKE down to Ft Walton beach in Florida?
2016-1-21
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

sdharris Posted at 2016-1-21 11:45
No messages in DJI GO such as gimbal overload?

Have you tried a IMU calibration followed by a gimb ...

I got GO to run long enough ONCE to do an IMU calc.  The gimbal just goes limp.  Doesn't seem to respond to any commands.   In GO, I can't change any camera setting.  That tells me its not talking to anything so that makes a gimbal cal impossible.
2016-1-21
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-1-21 10:21
Where did you buy it? I see you live in United states?

I bought my last 2 birds from BestBuy...They ...

Already made that mistake.  Bought direct from DJI.  If I EVER buy another DJI product, it damn sure won't be direct.
2016-1-21
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-21 13:33
I was shooting at a 4" x 5" steel torso.  Set two phantom 3 batteries next to each other.  Thats B ...

Wetumpka (near Prattville/Montgomery). That is impressive shooting from all of you....especially the .17. Need to keep her in it, and track down an old Winchester 52 and a CMP application
2016-1-21
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Heh, I pass pretty close to you.  I take I65 down to south of Montgomery and hop off and head through Andalusia down to Crestview (FL).  Maybe one of these days

2016-1-22
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 22:42
Can you attempt a firmware update to 1.6 and see if that fixes it.

Well, I broke down and tried it.  Tried 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6.

NO firmware update works.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-23 01:49
Well, I broke down and tried it.  Tried 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6.

NO firmware update works.

Since you also have no video to the app, something is not communication to the app and also the gimbal issue. Call tech support 818-235-0789 and they will do a warranty repair and pay for shipping. Turn around from when they receive it is only up to 2 weeks.
Sorry about that.
2016-1-22
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

I have an email going now with support.us.  So should I follow up with that or call the phone?  Or both?

We are sorry to hear about the issue with your DJI Product. We recommend sending your product into our North American Support center, for diagnosis and repair. Please reply with the below info, so we can arrange for a RMA repair. If you have any questions, please be sure to ask them in your reply. We look forward to assisting you soon!

Shipping Address (no PO box):
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Brief Description of damage or technical issue:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue before contacting support:
Regards, DJI Customer Support

2016-1-22
Use props
nixdiecast
lvl.2

United States

Just wondering if you have tried booting up the craft without the sim card in the quad?
2016-1-23
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

I assume you mean uSD card, the drone has no sim card.  SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module.  That is typically used for cell phones (although there are other uses).

Yes, tried without any card.  Same song. same dance.

UPDATE:
Still no response from US support since Friday at noon.
2016-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules