Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Red Restricted Areas...
1151 9 2016-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I regularly practise fly (with permission) over a sports field on the edge of Brighton (UK), not far from the Amex football stadium. Recently, DJI has designated a radius of about a kilometer from the stadium as a red Restricted Zone, which now prevents me flying over most of the sports field. This area is not a CAA restricted zone (there's nothing on the aviation maps) but, as a DJI red Restricted Area, I cannot even temporarily disable the geofencing 'feature' (as you supposedly can with yellow Authorization zones).

I'm using the latest GO App 2.5.1.

Does anyone know what I can do to either override this restriction, or speak to someone in DJI who could help? I suspect many of these red zones are chosen arbitrarily somehow.

Thanks for any suggestions...

2016-1-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Its totally over for this hobby and Dji,  Why would anyone buy a dji product, with total control over the product you purchased,  never knowing what they or the government is going to do next,  why on earth would anyone buy their product.  I can assure you Jerry I have spent almost ten thousand with DJI and I will never spend another dime on their products unless there is a jailbreak of their system and 3rd party apps giving me control over the product I bought,  I cant even believe I am typing this crap,  I have to ask DJI and get permission to fly my rc toy in certain places, in my country,  the so called laws that DJI was part of drafting for the air space of this country is beyond my comprehension this so called committee and there rulings are in direct conflict with 2012 FAA LAWS dealing with model aircraft,  These non elected bureaucrats and corporations from other countries have overridden the laws passed by Congress, (So what do we need to pay these SOB politicians for?) and  taken control over your and mine product that we purchased, This makes no sense to me,  practically half the state that I live in is covered , with no fly zones,  I live in a completely desolate area and I have no fly zones on all sides of me, very close. Its time to support another company even if it is a bit behind in tech, We need to help them catch up.  welcome to the fascist corprotocracy where non elected bureaucratic agencies get together with foreign corporations and override laws passed by congress. The liberal lemmings will jump aboard. on anything now in this country, and yours, So nothing will make sense or work right, hunker down there is a storm coming.  
2016-1-21
Use props
Gootch
lvl.2

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2016-1-21 09:50
Its totally over for this hobby and Dji,  Why would anyone buy a dji product, with total control ove ...

I can see both sides of this argument. I am a pilot that owns my own aircraft. I studied and took tests, and have to constantly be "re-trained" to stay current. It does concern me that some kid with a phantom will try and get to new heights so he can brag to his friends on some forum with his drone and possibly kill me.... that would really make for a bad day for me and possibly my family.
But my airport was my favorite place to fly, non towered, low traffic... a great place to fly. What this breaks down to is the ignorance of some who make it ridiculous for the rest.
So we abide to the registration, and if someone does something illegal... they should pay the penalty. Not all of us paying it up front.

Good rant, I agree that electronic control from DJI is not what is the best thing to do, but their lawyers are pointing them in this direction because of the ridiculous lawsuits they would be facing if they didn't.
2016-1-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Gootch Posted at 2016-1-21 08:03
I can see both sides of this argument. I am a pilot that owns my own aircraft. I studied and took t ...

How many kids do you know with a phantom? and just because it was registered or not registered to the kids parents, how is that going to save your life, that seemingly you feel is threatened. Not trying to be belligerent to you, just trying to undertand your reasoning.
2016-1-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Jerry there is something I read about reloading the app then keeping the pad connected to the net while the bird grabs the geo satellites the first time (total control of your machine)  hope this helps go to your dji  account then and there you may be able to unlock and fly your bird in a few places in your country.  As I understand even if you go back in apps it is too late the bird now contains the geo zones and you will have to use a later app to unlock period. I would like to know if litchi can be used.  
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

There was an error on IOS where it created more red zones and a few other things. You delete the app, reinstall and power everything up and wait a few minutes and it should be fixed.
BUT, if the red zone is still there then you will not be able to fly over it.
And there is nothing to unlock, unlocking authorization zones is only available for the 2.4.4 GEO Beta app on Android for now and also you have to have 1.7 on your aircraft.
If you participate in the Beta app then you should be able to fly where you currently cannot.
Here is the link with info and downloads.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-1-21
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-21 18:14
There was an error on IOS where it created more red zones and a few other things. You delete the app ...

Thank you, Ken.
2016-1-21
Use props
Gootch
lvl.2

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2016-1-21 11:22
How many kids do you know with a phantom? and just because it was registered or not registered to t ...

I'm in my 50's... anyone in their 20's is a kid, and I see plenty of them on youtube and in the forums that own larger equipment than a phantom. My logic is simple, the point of registration is for accountability, period. So your correct, if a registered device hits my plane, whatever that would entail... and is recovered, that makes no difference for me at that point, but might to the next guy because someone was held accountable. Currently we are ALL being punished because DJI doesn't want to wait until a few bad events educate the masses, because that doesn't pay their attorney fees. It is the exact same logic we have now with the federal government.... but that is a big can of worms for perhaps another day.
2016-1-21
Use props
Gootch
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-21 13:14
There was an error on IOS where it created more red zones and a few other things. You delete the app ...

Yes, thanx Ken. Any idea if IOS will be included in some form of this "Beta"?
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gootch Posted at 2016-1-22 05:34
Yes, thanx Ken. Any idea if IOS will be included in some form of this "Beta"?

It should be available for Beta sometime coming up, but I don't make those decisions.
2016-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules