Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Winter flying
1004 11 2016-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ketil.borg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18802 ft
Norway

Can someone, tell me if it is safe to fly P3P in -10 celsius.

Ketil
2016-1-21
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

It is a bit on the cold side.  If you do (I have) keep your battery warm before flight, let the quad hover  two minutes to warm up the battery further before you throw the sticks.  Don't engage full power too rapidly if at all.  Flight times will be shorter.

There is a sticky thread about cold flying.  There are also a few good threads on the subject of cold flying.  Search the forum and read.
2016-1-21
Use props
wsaund
lvl.2

United States

Wow's Winter Flaying? Think this is the wrong forum for you. :@

Flaying, also known colloquially as skinning, was a method of slow and painful execution in which skin is removed from the body. Generally, an attempt is made to keep the removed portion of skin intact. This article deals with flaying in the sense of torture and execution of humans.
2016-1-21
Use props
ketil.borg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18802 ft
Norway

wsaund Posted at 2016-1-21 14:43
Wow's Winter Flaying? Think this is the wrong forum for you.

Flaying, also known colloquially as ...

Excuse wsaund , it was not what I meant , but that you understand well . Here we talk about flying in winter weather with a P3P , but thanks for the post .
sincerely Ketil
2016-1-21
Use props
wsaund
lvl.2

United States

ketil.borg@ebne Posted at 2016-1-21 08:54
Excuse wsaund , it was not what I meant , but that you understand well . Here we talk about flyin ...

Just messing with you. The most important part, as stated is to keep the batteries warm. One trick is to use an insulated lunch box and put rice and hand warmers in it if you are gonna be outside for awhile with multiple batteries or long walk to your flight point.
2016-1-21
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

wsaund Posted at 2016-1-21 09:31
Just messing with you. The most important part, as stated is to keep the batteries warm. One trick ...

I use the hand warmers in my case around the batteries.  I also have a jacket that has a zillion pockets.  Okay, not a zillion, I think between the liner and the outer shell, 39.  Anyway, this allows me to 'wear' the batteries keeping them warm with body heat.
2016-1-21
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have done a bit of flying at -10°C.  I have pockets on the inside of my coat where I keep the batteries.  Batteries should be fully charged and at least 20°C in temperature.  I use gloves where the finger tips come off for flying.  If its windy, even a light breeze, I don't last long outside.
2016-1-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yea, in chilly Edmonton Alberta where many of us Phantom 3 pilots reside,  Glom-itts are a necessary requirment for comfy winter flying.
It's a mitten, where the finger sections, folds back, held in place with Velcro fasteners, exposing just the finger tips.
A great addition to a Phantom flight kit. In my case, I only expose the thumbs.
RedHotPoker

2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Keeping your battery warm is very essential . Please read this thread : http://forum.dji.com/thread-35249-1-1.html
2016-1-21
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I have flown with the temperature of -16 C with almost no issues . Well one issue , I got snow in my shoes ,,, LOL
2016-1-22
Use props
gegetrane
lvl.1
Flight distance : 219462 ft
Canada

Almost all my flying was done in minus C up to now... Battery in inside pocket keeps warm enough, and hovering a min or 2 is good practice. Flew at -10 at 300 feet with 25 mph wind and got very steady shots.
2016-1-22
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find that in these winter temperatures, my gimbal's roll motor often fails.  I have trouble with it anywhere from 0°C or below. The colder, the more the gimbal failure happens. A restart of the P3P always fixes it for a while, but it sometimes comes back.  The gimbal works perfectly in all other temperatures. Anyone else experience this? It makes me feel like I am flying my Syma X5C, which has no gimbal at all.  Every little twitch of the drone is conveyed into the camera, which really sucks. I have seen other reports of this same failure on-line, but am not sure where I saw the reports.
2016-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules