Drone Insurance
21268 64 2015-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-28 19:32
I've been dealing with this for some time now.

In the USA be very careful about what is being cover ...

I think I will be doing the same. I was recommending Hill and Usher which is a video insurance company, they said that they offer the aerial pack I think it's around 1200 a year. And if you get ground coverage for other video  stuff it's around 800 per yearI think. They can cover any ground equipment, but not your drone. I haven't started doing work with my drone yet but the moment I have my first gig I will immidiatly insure my drone. Also for the payment you can do monthly but the way it works it's that you get approve for a loan to pay everything in advance and then you just pay monthly to that third party company.
2015-4-28
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-28 19:32
I've been dealing with this for some time now.

In the USA be very careful about what is being cover ...

I think I will be doing the same. I was recommending Hill and Usher which is a video insurance company, they said that they offer the aerial pack I think it's around 1200 a year. And if you get ground coverage for other video  stuff it's around 800 per yearI think. They can cover any ground equipment, but not your drone. I haven't started doing work with my drone yet but the moment I have my first gig I will immidiatly insure my drone. Also for the payment you can do monthly but the way it works it's that you get approve for a loan to pay everything in advance and then you just pay monthly to that third party company.
2015-4-28
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-28 23:35
I have contact different insurance companies and they do cover liability but it's hard to find som ...

I think you're mistaken or the agents are mistaken. It's nearly impossible to find insurance companies who will offer liability insurance for accidents that take place while flying. And like you said, nobody and I mean NOBODY will cover the drone for accidents. The only coverage you'll get for the drone are for theft, warranty protection and ground-based damage (ie you run over it with your car). But NOBODY is going to repair/replace your drone if you crash it into the side of a building.

Also, if you ask Hill & Usher if they will protect you if there is in incident while you are illegally flying during commercial activity they can't give you a straight answer. They honestly don't know because it's never come up. But I can easily see them denying the claim because you were engaged in illegal activity. I'm still going to by it but I can see it turning into a nasty fight if there should ever be a major claim.
Aerial Pack is $1200 but it's another $200 if you want unlimited additional insured. This is annoying becasue I'v never had to pay extra before to add additional insured to my business insurance. Most people will need additional insured to for all practical purposes Aerial Pak is $1400.

And the ground-based Package Choice plan varies based on your operations. In my case it was about $550 but I don't have a ton of gear and my ground based business photography is very low risk so I'm at the low end. It basically starts at about $500 and goes up from there. But if you can prove that you already have business insurance for your ground based operations you can get Aerial Pak without Package Choice. Problem is that your ground based insurance may cancel you if they find out you're flying drones. As I said in my last post, that's what happened to me.
2015-4-29
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-29 19:30
I think you're mistaken or the agents are mistaken. It's nearly impossible to find insurance compan ...

I will give them a call again and be straight forward to see if they actually cover if your flying for commercial use. Lat time i as very clear that I was going to do it for commercial but they didn't make it a big deal. As i know that they cover many video companies. I also know some one who flies for commercial purposes and he does a lot of work for other production companies. He says he's fully insure in the event of an accident. I will keep you posted on this matter. If you find any other information please let us know. Also I have read some other Threads where people say that the home insurance covers them in the event that they crash. Do you know if this is true?
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

There is a parallel thread on this topic - click here to view.
2015-4-29
Use props
mcrs
lvl.1
Canada

Hi Gwhiz2k,

The Canadian equivalent of the AMA is the MAAC (http://www.maac.ca/en/), and they do offer insurance coverage for their members - but (if I read correctly) it doesn't extend to UAV/Drones (see number 7 in their insurance advisory section: "MAAC insurance provides cover for model aircraft as defined by Transport Canada and radio controlled models must also be flown in direct line of sight. Any other type of radio-controlled flying machine is classified as a UAV. UAV operation may be for commercial or recreational purposes. Our coverage does not extend to any type of UAV.")
I've seen quotes of $770 & up for insurance coverage in Canada - not quite sure if that's simply for the required general liability and/or for damage to the drone itself (http://insurancebroker.ca/drone-insurance/)

Keep me posted as to what you find out and I'll do the same.

Cheers
2015-5-30
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Please people, you almost need to be or secure legal council to ensure your rider actually will stand up for your intended use. You must also find out what they will pay out in the event of an incident such as a collision with a Ferrari or a six year old child. Just because you have 2,000,000 coverage does not mean they will pony it up. You also need to see how the action will be taken in the event of an incident, ie. do they litigate on your behalf? If you are found partially or fully responsible will you still be covered and what will the coverage be? These insurance companies can spin all kinds of webs to ensnare you. The only reason I would entertain insurance was if it allowed me to make a significant amount of money. If you are getting insurance be sure to factor the cost into your pricing it must be recovered as an expense.
2015-5-30
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Just remember this ... Not all insurance will cover stupidity. Also if you have a fly away aircraft the insurance company will tell you to seek damages from the manufacturer as a product defect. It must be written in clear worded language that ALL loss no matter the cause will be covered under this policy. Or else you may find yourself negotiating with DJI.
2015-5-30
Use props
aviationbroker
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I am an aviation insurance broker. I am appointed with all of the aviation specific insurance companies (there are about 15 of them). As of right now, four of them offer UAV/drone insurance. For a hobbyist, I can get you a liability only policy, with a $500K per occurrence limit, for $600.  If you would like to have higher limits, I can get that as well. I can also offer you hull coverage. Please keep in mind that these policies are offered by highly rated aviation insurance companies. While non-aviation folks probably have not heard of them, they are very well respected by pilots, aircraft owners, charter operators, and flight schools.

I can also offer coverage to commercial operators with the FAA 333 exemptions.

Please contact me at joe@bullockagency.com and I can send you an application.

Thanks,

Joe
2015-7-24
Use props
james6161
New

United States

Any update on if Hill and Usher  Will they pay a claim if I am on the job and being paid for a shoot?
2015-8-21
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

If you fly commercially in US, visit www.uavsa.org for insurances
2015-8-21
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.2

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-2 22:42
Join the AMA. You receive 2.5 million in liability insurance as a member. Damage insurance on the  ...

Don't you have to fly in an AMA designated area for their insurance to apply?
2015-8-24
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

aviationbroker Posted at 2015-7-25 00:05
Hello,

I am an aviation insurance broker. I am appointed with all of the aviation specific insuranc ...

Good to know, thanks for the info.
2015-8-24
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Midnightrider Posted at 2015-8-24 11:41
Don't you have to fly in an AMA designated area for their insurance to apply?

Not sure on that one but, could be very possible? I carry an umbrella liability policy also. Very inexpensive.
2015-9-6
Use props
desjardins.jon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 469984 ft
United States

Check with your agent, home policy, to see if you can have it covered for replacement purposes. This would be NON commercial use only though
2015-9-6
Use props
hsoden
New

United States

While it's possible to make a case for coverage on an HO3 policy, it isn't intended by ISO policy forms. Mechanical breakdown coverage is an option on some policies though by the way. However, I don't recommended trying to rely on your Homeowners' policy for hull coverage anyway. The homeowners' policy is designed for larger, less frequent claims like fires and hurricane damage. The kind of claims which would create a hardship, not a $1400 personal property claim. This is why it usually costs less than your auto insurance policy, even though you are insuring far greater values in most cases. It's not worth putting in a claim for this, as the premium increase you may receive would probably outweigh the benefit. Even if your premiums don't increase most companies will drop you after 2 or 3 claims.  More importantly, the homeowners' policy probably will pick up a liability claim, assuming you're using the drone for recreational purposes. However, you should always run it by the company first to be sure.
2015-10-24
Use props
rosach
New

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-2 22:42
Join the AMA. You receive 2.5 million in liability insurance as a member. Damage insurance on the  ...

Hi Rodger, you mentioned you have a separate insurance for $200/year. Can you share which insurance company? Is it for recreational users? Thanks!
2015-11-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rosach Posted at 2015-11-20 16:23
Hi Rodger, you mentioned you have a separate insurance for $200/year. Can you share which insuranc ...

I have an Umbrella Policy with AMICA Insurance. An Umbrella Policy covers you for any Liability issues at all. In effect, you have a million dollar Attorney plus if he loses the Insurance Company still has to pay the amount that you are insured for.
2015-11-21
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MTShipp Posted at 2015-1-3 15:28
+1 on joining AMA. Not just for the insurance but to help in the furthering of the RC hobby as well!

They do have a strong voice. They also send out no-fly zone notices for your area such as when the President is coming to Town.
2015-11-21
Use props
Onedelorean
New

United States

I was wondering the exact same thing here.  After some research I found that the company I get my issuance for my regular shooting equipment now has coverage for UAVs.  Check the link for more details.

Film Emporium UAV Insurance
2016-3-4
Use props
Calvin Reich
New

Canada

In Canada?  see below
I thought I would give a little bit of insight on the topic of Insurance for UAV operators in Canada.
1) For Recreational operators you can become a member of MAAC,  Through the membership they do include liability insurance for recreational operations only.  If any of your projects are non-recreational they do not cover.  You also have to follow their rules and regulations.  You do need to be aware of where and how you are flying.
2) For recreational operators you can check with your home insurance.  It will depend on the company but many will not cover the operations of a UAV.  The definitely will not cover for non recreational operations.
3) For non recreational  operators there are some companies that are trying to write UAVs under a commercial general liability policy. There are some challenges with this. You will need to be aware of some of the exclusions in the wordings.  Often there is an aircraft exclusion built into the wording that excludes the operation of an aircraft.  Transport Canada has defined a UAV as an aircraft.
4) Some other exclusions to be aware under a commercial general liability policy of can be the weight of the UAV, the distance it can be operated from an airport or a build up area.  One example I have come across is an exclusion if operated with in 9 km of an active airport or aircraft landing area, another exclusion is limited to 5 kg, and another is limited to 400ft.  Keep in mind with a SFOC all of these operations are possible.  The exclusions can be more limiting than the regulations.
I find that many of the commercial general liability carriers do not address the UAVs well.  Many will not remove the aircraft exclusion.
5) There are options available for non recreational operators.  The best option is often a UAV specific policy.  Under a UAV policy there are options for liability as well as physical damage to the UAV itself.  Some markets are not able to offer physical damage coverage.  It may not be an issue at first with a lower valued UAV but if you go to add a more expensive unit down the road you will want to have the option for physical damage.  I don't like to suggest markets that are only capable of liability only as it can be limiting down the road.
6) Transport Canada requires $100,000 liability for non recreational operators.  There is not a requirement for recreational operators.  $100,000 is low.  I have seen a non UAV claim for a broken arm hit just below $100,000.  I have seen a broken leg reach over $100,000.  In most cases, limits start at $500,000 and go up from there.  The limit required can also be dictated by contracts you enter.  I have had clients require anywhere from $1,000,000 to $10,000,000 depending on the contract and who they are doing projects for.
7) The premiums will range depending on your experience, the unit you are operating, if there is a standing Special flight Operations Certificate, the area of operation, the weight of the UAV as well as any claims history.  Typically there is a bit of a range in premium.  $500,000 liability can start as low as about $600 - $850 per year and $1,000,000 UAV liability is often in the range of $800-$1100.
7)UAV insurance can be complex.  My suggestion is to use someone that knows the UAV industry well as most policies are subject to the following the rules and regulations of Transport Canada.  There is still a fair bit of mis information out there.  The most common misconceptions are regarding the Exemption Rules.  I still hear of operators that think they meet the Exemption rules, when many times they have not read the full list.  The most common one is that if the UAV is under 2 kg they do not require a Special flight Operations certificate.  In most cases, this is not true.  Advisory Circular (AC) 600-004
8) your broker should be licensed in the Province you are located and registered in.
9) The Zurich program is available through a Zurich Broker.  Zurich does not actually underwrite the program and they go through one of the other UAV markets.  It can be a good option if you are a very large corporation with your main commercial general liability already with Zurich.  It is not the best program for the smaller operator that does not have other business with Zurich.
10) Foreign non recreational operators will require a SFOC as they do not qualify for the exemption rules.  The reality is very few if any Canadian operators qualify for the exemption rules.  5 nm or 9km from a built up areas pretty limiting, especially when a built up area is considered anything larger than a farmstead.

We can assist if there are any questions.  We are licensed in every province except Quebec and Newfoundland and I can assist with finding you a broker in those provinces.

Capri Insurance / Intercity Insurance

If there are any questions, contact 1-877-272-2774
Calvin Reich

2016-3-8
Use props
cypher007_uk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23848 ft
United Kingdom

redleader Posted at 2015-1-2 15:30
Mine is covered under my camera-specific insurance along with the rest of my photo-related gear. I t ...

I'm also looking for accidental cover in the UK. how have you got on with photo guard? do they cover in flight crashes?
2016-5-12
Use props
paul
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-2 09:42

The AMA offers personal liability insurance only. It does not offer **commercial** liability coverage.
2016-7-5
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

paul@geauxmedia Posted at 2016-7-5 10:05
The AMA offers personal liability insurance only. It does not offer **commercial** liability cover ...

Yes, commercial ventures are a different story. You will find that with any insurer.
2016-7-5
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

paul@geauxmedia Posted at 2016-7-5 10:05
The AMA offers personal liability insurance only. It does not offer **commercial** liability cover ...

Also, I left the AMA this year. To expensive! $75.00 for a couple of Magazines. They are out of control.
2016-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules