CITY AND BUILDINGS RANGE ON THE P3pro
1454 8 2016-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myemail01234567
New

United States

how much range do you get with the p3pro as far as being in the city with tall buildings everywhere around you? how much distance/range/height do you lose when flying around building . what is a safe range to stay within so you dont lose signal when flying in the city with buildings and trees everywhere around you??
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off, you really shouldn't be flying far especially in a downtown area. If you want to film something on the other side of a tall building, land and walk over there and then fly.
With all the interference that can happen thee's a chance you could crash your aircraft and you would be responsible for the repairs.

You will always more than likely lose video signal before RC signal. If you must fly far and around corners, just make sure your RTH altitude is set so you don't hit anything if you lose RC signal.
2016-1-22
Use props
myemail01234567
New

United States

Yea im not planning on doing this. Just curious how much it would affect my video and rc signal. Like what would be a safe range if i were to fly in the city. Is it so bad that i wont even get a block over or is it within a half mile range 1/4 mile or will i still be ok within a mile?? Just tryin to get a feel of a safe range for city flying
2016-1-22
Use props
myemail01234567
New

United States

Can anyone else let me know what they think ????
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

myemail01234567 Posted at 2016-1-23 12:40
Yea im not planning on doing this. Just curious how much it would affect my video and rc signal. Lik ...

It all depends what kind of buildings you are flying by. If your flying by a call center with hundreds of people with computers and tons of WiFI routers than you may get very limited range.
If you fly by a building that the whole place is a manufacturing plant with only a small office and the rest is  a bunch of workers doing manual labor then you'll probably get more range
There is no exact range to this, there are so many variables that you just have to go test the area for yourself.
2016-1-25
Use props
myemail01234567
New

United States

What is very limited range ?? Whats the worst range ? Could it get as bad as 50 yards or even worse not work at all . Or is the worst  like half mile  . These things get range up to 3.1 miles in open area so i figured with severe interference it would mabey knock it down to about a mile or at worst half mile . Or am i wrong and it could loose everything at even a closer range than that ??
2016-1-27
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

It is  a hard answer,  If you have tall buildings you are defitley going to loose range quickly.  Now if you have line of sight with tall buildings you will be ok.  Keep in mind there is alot of signal interference in the city as well  . My advice if in the city:  Make sure to keep line of sight, fly in early mornings with limited people around.  Worst range in the city Line of sight with my P3P was about 100 yards.  The problem in the city is if you do loose signal and you are set to return to home, you may hit an obstacle.  I have 25 years flying RC and would be VERY leary to take my DJI aircraft as reliable as it is to the city.  Also this same aircraft that had limited range in the city went out over 13,000 plus  feet in the country.   

***To answer your question directly, I would ALWAYS be line of sight in the city and no more than say 50 yards ahead of me.  

Cheers -Donnie  
2016-1-28
Use props
Raptorz102
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2058543 ft

Donne is right.  Its a tough question to ask.  When I got my P3P I started off with short distance flights and slowly got further and further away.  You'll quickly learn the limitations of the aircraft.  Also keep in mind that in the city (as Donne mentioned) there is a ton of interference.  If you stand anywhere near a power transformer or other major electrical device you'll see interference in your signals.  

Just start off small, keep line of site, and as you get more confident and comfortable you can increase your range.
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

myemail01234567 Posted at 2016-1-28 08:17
What is very limited range ?? Whats the worst range ? Could it get as bad as 50 yards or even worse  ...

Yes, you are asking questions that there is no absolute answer.  For one the range on the Standard is less than a mile. So in perfect condition you won't get a mile. And yes, you may get only 50 yards. It all depends on the amount of interference in the building that you are trying to fly around.
2016-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules