Inspire 1, battery shuts off during start up
3702 34 2016-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

Just went to fly today. Powered up my remote and Inspire 1, raised the landing gear, shut everything off to put the camera and gimbal on. When I went to sart up again and hit the battery button twice the battery began to power up and then shut off. I tried all 5 of my batteries, same result.

Sunny day, but cold, around 30.

Anyone have this happen to them??

2016-1-22
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

Are all the batteries out in the cold or do you have them inside a warm car for example?
2016-1-22
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

SkyDen Posted at 2016-1-22 12:47
Are all the batteries out in the cold or do you have them inside a warm car for example?

all inside warm car fully charged
2016-1-22
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
United States

Strange.  Wish I had a better answer for you.  The odds that all five batteries failed are pretty astronomical.  I would be more inclined to think it had something to do with the way you powered them on or the bird itself.  Are the batteries showing full charge outside of the UAV?  Are you holding the second press long enough?  Please don't misinterpret any of that, I am not questioning your ability but just trying to cover the obvious.
2016-1-22
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

SkyDen Posted at 2016-1-22 14:56
Strange.  Wish I had a better answer for you.  The odds that all five batteries failed are pretty as ...

All real good questions, I am sure that I am powering it up correct. Yes full poweris showing when the batteries are out of the unit.  I am hearing a small "click" sound, as if the unit is shutting itself off. I think it may be a short in the electrical system.

I should also mention that my go pro (chest mounted to record my flight/actions) picked a very small "zap" sound when I powered up after putting the gimbal unit on. It sounds like static electric shock that you get on a cold day and you drag your feet on the carpet. Then the battery shuts off.

When I put in a new fully charged battery after that, the battery lights up, and then I hear the click and it shuts down before any lights on the inspire come on.
2016-1-22
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
United States

You mentioned it was cold, did snow or other moisture get into the compartment?
2016-1-22
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

SkyDen Posted at 2016-1-22 15:43
You mentioned it was cold, did snow or other moisture get into the compartment?

no snow, dry sunny day. I always store my case in the house.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-1-23 04:39
All real good questions, I am sure that I am powering it up correct. Yes full poweris showing when  ...

That is very strange, there's no way it's a battery issue. With the battery removed you can power it on and it stays on right?
I'm sure you already know how to power the battery on since you already own the Inspire so there's no way your doing incorrectly.
It must be something in the aircraft. Even if you do get it working, I wouldn't want to fly it. What if it does it again while in flight. I would send it in for repair, especially since your GoPro recorded a pop.
2016-1-22
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
United States

Think I agree with Ken on this one.  How old is the unit?
2016-1-22
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

SkyDen Posted at 2016-1-22 17:00
Think I agree with Ken on this one.  How old is the unit?

Thank you both! It just turned a year old. I am sending it out on Monday, I will post when I know what the cause was.

2016-1-22
Use props
dgmultimedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 216526 ft
United Kingdom

Sound to me it's likely that you have inserted the gimbal mount incorrectly and damages the contacts in the board  inside the mount or there was some foreign object there....
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dgmultimedia@me Posted at 2016-1-23 06:47
Sound to me it's likely that you have inserted the gimbal mount incorrectly and damages the contacts ...

I think if he did that the aircraft would still power up.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-1-23 06:24
Thank you both! It just turned a year old. I am sending it out on Monday, I will post when I know  ...

So the batteries power up correctly when not in the aircraft right?
2016-1-22
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
United States

Yes Ken, that is correct based on the response he gave to me when I asked him the same thing.
2016-1-23
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

I got this today from Drone Nerds

Hello Robert,

I have checked out your Inspire 1. At first the craft would not power on. I replaced the main power board and the craft started up. Once the Inspire powered up I updated all firmware. I tested the motors and this is when I encountered a problem. The main Ncore component, essentially the brain, is not controlling the motors properly. What is happening is that some of the motors will rev up and do not rev down. Sometimes, just two of the motors will stay spinning while the other two will turn off completely. The only fix is to replace the Ncore, which costs $990.00. The power board is $201.00.
2016-2-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Is your bird out of warranty?  I haven't flown mine for about a month also, scared to get it out of case have read of lots of different issues after setting a bit ,  and like wow that's an expensive repair. I have a p3 also  I am almost thinking that its time to get out of the Inspire.
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2016-2-1 23:20
Is your bird out of warranty?  I haven't flown mine for about a month also, scared to get it out of  ...

Yes, that is a VERY expensive repair. BUT,  I don't think it happened by itself. The Inspire is an amazing machine, tons and tons out there that are heavily used and still without issue.
But yes, things happen occasionally.
2016-2-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-1 10:34
Yes, that is a VERY expensive repair. BUT,  I don't think it happened by itself. The Inspire is an ...

Ken
It would be nice if DJI could offer an extended warranty for say like 49 bucks a year or something  like that, for non pilot generated errors, and repairs not associated with operator abuse or damage. That  would be nice, and also appropriate.  I believe that would help fund the repair centers also, It would be a very good customer support situation, something which DJI could easily do, and be of promotional benefit.   Dji has relied on their incredibly advanced product, that is superior to all others.  That may not work forever. Also most of the catastrophic  problem I read about here are, pilot or operator error anyway.  The product is incredibly reliable, DJI would not lose with this I have a V2+  a  P3A , and an Inspire, the only problem I have ever had, was  I had an esc error on an upgrade on the I1 I got right in to DJI customer service, and sent the bird in, it was back one week from the day I sent it in, no cost to me,  how could it be any better than that ?  The only thing I can think of is an extended warranty from DJI, for all of their great customers. DJI's product is reliable enough to do this. This would comfort all that would participate and help those that truly have an expensive hardware problem, Its pretty easy to determine fault.   Joe  
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2016-2-2 09:28
Ken
It would be nice if DJI could offer an extended warranty for say like 49 bucks a year or somet ...

Check back in a week
2016-2-1
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

wow really
2016-2-1
Use props
keithh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22395 ft
United States

mtnmaddman,

Do you still have any of the googles and if so what is the price?

Thanks,
Keith
2016-2-3
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question if he was a member of the AMA and would they have covers part of the repairs?
2016-2-3
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-1 12:34
Yes, that is a VERY expensive repair. BUT,  I don't think it happened by itself. The Inspire is an ...

I agree with Ken. What I am stunned about is the drone had just returned from DJI to fix a ribbon cable and to have all four motors upgraded after I had a low impact crash, less than 10mph and a height of 10ft,. DJI sent a report saying that they tested the unit before they shipped it back and it passed. What caused this to happen once the unit was returned to me makes me wonder. It could have been a bad part? It could have been damaged in shipping? I just dont know. DJI has refused to help me figure it out.
2016-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-2-16 08:30
I agree with Ken. What I am stunned about is the drone had just returned from DJI to fix a ribbon  ...

I don't really understand what is going on with your aircraft, I though you took it to a shop to repair after your crash and did not send it to DJI.
What is your ticket number and I will look into it tomorrow,
2016-2-15
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-15 23:01
I don't really understand what is going on with your aircraft, I though you took it to a shop to r ...

Hi Ken,

The system has deleted my ticket, but here is the original RMA# The Repair Tracking Number for your product is 1512242F5-IS4285.

I sent my unit to DJI in CA under this number for repair of my ribbon cable and to have them replace ALL 4 motors (figured while it was there just get them done). I sent in a detailed letter about what I wanted done. I was then sent an invoice on December 28th 2015 for $210. which I paid right away. I then realized that the cost was way to low for them to have replace all four motors and called tech support and they created a new ticket. I was told that support could not call over to the repair center and check to see why they had not replace all four motors as requested. I checked each day for the next five days any my status was shown as "pending" on that ticket. Meanwhile, my unit was shipped back to me. Two days after the unit was shipped back I got an update on the ticket asking me "what could they do for me" I advised them it was too late as the unit had already shipped.

Once the unit arrived at my home, I fired it up inside without blades to test the motors. The unit would not throttle down (motors just kept spinning at high speed) I let it sit for the night, recharged all my batteries and my two controllers and took it to a field for a test the next day. I did my normal start up so that I could raise the landing gear to attached the camera. When I went to power the unit back up I heard a loud ZAP and the unit shut off. I tried all five of my T48 batteries and could only hear a clicking sound. I did NOT want to send it back to DJI CA after the total lack of timely communication from the first time, so I sent the unit to a DJI approved repair center, Drone Nerds in FL. The rest of the story you can see from the post above. I am frustrated!!! I paid $225. to ship it to DJI, $210 in a failed repair another $75. in shipping to FL and then another $1038. in repair and shipping from Drone Nerds.
2016-2-18
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-2-18 15:22
Hi Ken,

The system has deleted my ticket, but here is the original RMA# The Repair Tracking Numbe ...

I got this today from Drone Nerds

Hello Robert,

I have checked out your Inspire 1. At first the craft would not power on. I replaced the main power board and the craft started up. Once the Inspire powered up I updated all firmware. I tested the motors and this is when I encountered a problem. The main Ncore component, essentially the brain, is not controlling the motors properly. What is happening is that some of the motors will rev up and do not rev down. Sometimes, just two of the motors will stay spinning while the other two will turn off completely. The only fix is to replace the Ncore, which costs $990.00. The power board is $201.00.
2016-2-18
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-15 23:01
I don't really understand what is going on with your aircraft, I though you took it to a shop to r ...

DJI Ken are you out there??
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-2-24 10:48
DJI Ken are you out there??

Yes, I am here. I'm sorry about that.
What are the ticket numbers and I can look but if it's already been sent to you then there's really nothing I can do. What did the invoice say the charges were for
2016-2-23
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 22:09
Yes, I am here. I'm sorry about that.
What are the ticket numbers and I can look but if it's alrea ...

DJI Ken,

This is all the information that I have on my Inspire1 that was sent to DJI CA on December 17, 2015. DJI was to repair a ribbon cable and replace all four motors on my unit. DJI and its employees failed to successfully fix my DJI Inspire1 as it failed to operate once I received it from DJI. DJI and its employees were notified immediately of the failure of the unit once it was tested by myself after it arrived to my home. DJI offered a remedy of having myself pay to ship and insure my unit back to DJI CA.  I declined based on the complete failure of DJI and its employees to answer in a timely manner questions about the lack of attention to my repair request that was submitted in writing to DJI and its employees at the time of my service request and in fact DJI and its employees only responded after the unit was back in my possession. Therefore, I sent it to Drone Nerds, FL, a DJI. authorized DJI repair center for repair at my cost of shipping and insuring.

I am seeking relief in this way: DJI is to repay me in cash or actual goods for the failed repair of my DJI Inspire1 Drone and any and all shipping costs associated with this failed repair. Since Drone Nerds is an authorized DJI repair center any and all findings by Drone Nerds should be accepted by DJI at “face value” by DJI and its employees. If DJI and its employees are to make claim that my unit was damaged during transport from DJI CA to my home address on Cape Cod, DJI is the responsible party to seek relief from their shipping carrier and fully reimbursed Robert Scott Button for his damaged unit.

DJI Technology, LLC
23610 Banning Blvd
Carson, CA, 90745

RMA: 1216201569251233765 (Please include this number on the shipping label and on the front and back of the package. Not putting this number on the outside of your package can cause delays in being checked in).
By sending in your product for repair, you agree that you have read and accepted the repair terms as stated above. If you have any questions about this process, please reply to this email or call our phone support team.

Thank you for contacting DJI. We look forward to servicing your product very soon!

Dear Robert Button,

We are sorry to hear about the issue with your DJI Product. We recommend sending your product into our North American Support center, for diagnosis and repair. Please reply with the below info, so we can arrange for a RMA repair. If you have any questions, please be sure to ask them in your reply. We look forward to assisting you soon!

Shipping Address (no PO box):
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Brief Description of damage or technical issue:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue before contacting support:

Regards,

DJI Customer Support

On Wed, Dec 16 at 11:06 AM , Robert Button <robertbutton@comcast.net> wrote:
Cx is requesting a repair on his ribbon cable and also would like to have all 4 motors replaced. You have reached DJI Technology, the North American Customer Support.

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having. Though we are customer service based and do not have the full access to repair data that the repair department has, provided below is the repair information that we were able to access from our repair software system.

Parts Replaced
Name [Material number]
Quantity
Inspire1 OFDM to gimbal interface board signal line L=45mm
Inspire1 N to gimbal port power cable L=55mm
Inspire1 YAW quick connector component
Inspire1 gimbal damper plate 2
Inspire1_bottom shell V2 component
Inspire1 3510 motor CCW--bare
Inspire1 3510 motor CW--bare
Inspire1_ESC_V3 PCBA

Fly Logs
#
Tested products
Tested result
Tested time

Parts[Material number]

Number

Inspire1 Part 58 Aircraft(excludes Remote Controller Camera Battery and Battery Charger)[CP.BX.000074]

W13DCA29020233

PASS

2016-01-05

Date Checked In: 12/2402015
Date Evaluated: 12/29/2015
Confirmation of Payment: 12/29/2015 $210.00
Date Repaired: 12/31/2015
Date of Test Flight and Quality Inspection: 01/05/2016
Date Shipped: 01/05/2016
FedEx tracking #: 650703133015

On Mon, Feb 1 at 9:07 AM , Robert Button <newsphoto40@me.com> wrote:
 On December 16, 2015 I sent you my DJI Inspire 1 for repair (ribbon cable) and for you to replace all four motors. My unit was returned to me without the requested work done.

I tested my unit without blades to check its operational status. The unit powered up, but once I throttled up, it would not throttle down. I then took the unit for a test flight outside. The motors seemed to "misfire". I then tried to follow all of my normal start up procedures again, one I powered the battery I heard a loud ZAP and the unit powered off.

I have sent my unit to Drone Nerds for repair ( as I am not all happy with your service) and this is the report that I was sent today.

Chad Knopp (DroneNerds)
Feb 4, 11:31 AM
Hi Robert,
I have completed the work on your Inspire 1. Initially the diagnoses was that the Ncore component was bad. However, after replacing the Ncore the problem with the motors spinning up and not turning off persisted. I replaced your original Ncore then proceeded to change each motor/ESC one by one. As I did, I tested each. In the end they all needed to be changed. The total for all for to be replaced is $718.00 which includes a labor discount. I apologize that the initial diagnoses was off, however, the Inspire has been repaired, fully updated and tested. The end result is a working Inspire with a lower bill of repair.
If you have any questions please contact us. You can reply to this message or call us at 786-708-7807.
Thank you,
Rob
Drone Nerds

2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-2-25 23:09
DJI Ken,

This is all the information that I have on my Inspire1 that was sent to DJI CA on Decemb ...

You sent the aircraft to DJI because you crashed it and wanted the ribbon cable replaced and all 4 motors. They only replaced 2 motors because the other 2 were fine.
They test flew it and everything worked fine along with all the other tests they did and it was sent back to you.

If there was an issue when you got it back you should have contacted DJI. I know you said you wanted it looked at from someone other than DJI BUT that's where the mistake came in.
You could have sent it back here for free (all warranty and NON warranty things DJI sends you a shipping label) and have it looked at.

I am sorry that you had to send money to Drone Nerds, but you really needed to send it back to us.
Even though Drone Nerds is an authorized repair center, if they do a repair DJI is not going to reimburse you.
Since I am here to answer technical questions and have nothing to do with your case, I will forward everything to management and have them email you BUT I already know they are not going to pay for a repair that was done elsewhere when you should have send the aircraft back to us.
2016-2-25
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-25 11:09
You sent the aircraft to DJI because you crashed it and wanted the ribbon cable replaced and all 4 ...

DJI Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to read thru all that. I await a response from your management. You may or may not be aware that sending a drone to your (DJI CA) repair center is at best a nightmare. I waited six days from the time I questioned my invoice of $201.00 before it was even viewed by the repair staff, and during that time the same repair staff returned the drone to me WHILE I was waiting for an answer from them. I was told by customer service that "they are not able" to speak directly to the repair center by phone or any other means. There is no way I am ever sending anything to DJI directly for repair. My story is just the tip of the iceberg, there are far worse stories that I have copied and saved about your company's total lack of customer service, proper timely response. I have invested around $5000. in your Inspire 1 system, and your company has let me down at every level.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-2-26 04:20
DJI Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to read thru all that. I await a response from your manage ...

I am very sorry you feel that way. Nothing gets repaired until the repair cost is paid through Paypal. After the invoice has been paid, then they do the repair and send it back.
So you must have paid the invoice then the repairs started.
Again, I'm sorry that you feel you had a bad experience.
As soon as your ticket is reviewed by management they will get back to you. But again, DJI is not responsible for paying the repair to the company you sent it in to have it repaired.

An example: You have a used Ford vehicle out of warranty and you have a engine problem. You take it to Ford and have them repair it. You then take it home and something breaks (even if it was related to a repair which in your case it may not have even been). Then you send it to the local garage and they repair it for a cost of $1,000. Would you expect to contact Ford and have them send you send you a $1,000 check. That would never happen.
Bottom line is, if you noticed something, you should have sent it back to DJI. The shipping would have been free and $75 like you had to pay to ship it somewhere else.
Anyways, there's really nothing more I can say. Just wait until they contact you.
2016-2-25
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-25 15:38
I am very sorry you feel that way. Nothing gets repaired until the repair cost is paid through Pay ...

DJI Ken,

Thank you for your time!

RSB
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-3-4 22:38
DJI Ken,

Thank you for your time!

I am here to help, and I try to assist when I can.
2016-3-4
Use props
jasonmsitz
lvl.2

United States

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-1-22 15:39
All real good questions, I am sure that I am powering it up correct. Yes full poweris showing when  ...

I dont know if you were able to fix your battery problem but i build inspires with parts that come from new drones that are dismanteld for sale of parts. Im thinking those sounds of static shock are not to much of a consern but the battery bus is the problem. Just simply went out
2016-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules