New

United States

Can you use your drone while snowing.

2016-1-22
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Would you fly your quad in the rain?  I would say not recommended.  I wouldn't fly mine if it was snowing.  JMO
2016-1-22
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-22 10:52
Would you fly your quad in the rain?  I would say not recommended.  I wouldn't fly mine if it was sn ...

imo?
i have flown in the snow before but i sint reccomend it and i would not do it again
2016-1-22
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

In my experience, if theres even ONE snow flake or drop of water in the air it lands on the lens.
So why bother?
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure its not good and could cause a crash if too much moisture got inside.
But I did see a video on the news last night of a Phantom that flew all around in a snow storm and it looked pretty cool.
2016-1-22
Use props
cesarromein
lvl.4
Flight distance : 842890 ft
Netherlands

I sometimes fly in fog and snow using tape to cover the ventilations holes on the of my phantom 3A. Ok it is a risk, but photos are amasing.  No problems what so ever.
2016-1-22
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

It seems like you could...  I wouldn't fly mine, but I've seen some pretty good footage...
2016-1-22
Use props
flocko
lvl.1

United States

You people have large " STONES" apparently . I'll be darned if I'm putting $1400.00 clams up in the air in anything but a bright sunny day .... LOL
2016-1-22
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

flocko Posted at 2016-1-22 20:15
You people have large " STONES" apparently . I'll be darned if I'm putting $1400.00 clams up in the  ...

Yeah, in their heads.
2016-1-22
Use props
prescottc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

It would mess up the lens. I flew mine shortly after it snowed.. and this is the result:

My Foremark Reservoir Video DJI Post

2016-1-22
Use props
KEvans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170823 ft
United States

Not recommended.
2016-1-24
Use props
e2pilot
New
United States

I flew it in the snow, no issues...kept the lens down at about 45 degrees....only had up there for a few minutes but it was fine.
2016-1-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

e2pilot Posted at 2016-1-24 19:57
I flew it in the snow, no issues...kept the lens down at about 45 degrees....only had up there for a ...

Next week it will be doing an impersonation of a $1400 paper weight
2016-1-24
Use props
P3_Nutz
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Some people are proper daft. As soon as the snow hits the warm bird it would turn to water which could easily seep into the bird. Even by covering the vents it can still get into the motors...
2016-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

P3_Nutz Posted at 2016-1-25 08:30
Some people are proper daft. As soon as the snow hits the warm bird it would turn to water which cou ...

Water should not bother the motors, there is no exposed electrical connections in them and the bearing is sealed.
2016-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Just like full sized aircraft, it all depends on the temperature, humidity, the condition of the falling snow, speed, etc.  Flying in dry snow like we get here most of the time wouldn't hurt a thing.  Flying in wet slushy snow is another story.  Flying in fog can cause problems very quickly.  It only took one minute for my lens to be covered with moisture when I went up to the base of fog over my house.  On the way down with the camera looking straight down, I also noticed water dripping off of the legs.  Once in the fog was enough.  However, I'm sure fog flying will also depend on several environmental characteristics.
2016-1-24
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Casey Neistat flew his Phantom 3 in blizzard like conditions while making this video. I probably wouldn't though. I don't make as much as he does.

2016-1-24
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Personally, yes; although you probably shouldn't. Anything for the shot!

2016-1-24
Use props
e2pilot
New
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-1-24 15:24
Next week it will be doing an impersonation of a $1400 paper weight

I will gladly admit that snow CAN cause issues, however, being a pilot for over 30 years, I also am well aware of both the hazards and the imagined hazards of snow.  This was a very dry show and the drone itself was bone dry when it landed.  Sleet, freezing rain, or slushy snow is a different story and I wouldn't imagine taking it out in that.
2016-1-25
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

I would guess it would void any warrantee.  But it could sure make for some cool photos/videos.
2016-1-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

You can use it in any weather, question is, should you...a tiny bit of moisture/fog will likely not hurt it as i have been out several times with absolutely no ill side effects after a year, though never in a rain or snow...it is not the short term but more likely the long term pain you might end up with wondering why things start going intermittent....keep in mind several have literally had their Phantoms submerged only to regain flight after drying out...question is, how long before the real problems or rust shows up...According to Neil Young..."Rust Never Sleeps"....
2016-1-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Flying in one of those storms where it rains reptiles like frogs and fish would probably be a bad idea,  but amazing video.  Be sure and post if you do get this kind of rain.
2016-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules