SD card question??
1049 12 2016-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

Hi, can I use a different sd card in my p3 than the original one I used to update the p3? In other words, I am using the 16gb one that came with the p3 and it has the current update on it. Can I just stick a 32gb in there and start using it as is? Or do I have to upload the current firmware on the 32gb in order for it to work? I hope this is clear enough and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
2016-1-22
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I am using a 64 gig card in my P3.  You just have to make sure it is a high speed card.  Stick it in the P3 and use the app to format it.  If it formats,  it works.
2016-1-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Also, there is no need to have the firmware file on the card all the time. Yo9u might use the one that came with the camera if you need to do updates, then use a new larger card to just hold your photos and videos. As Kneepuck says, format the new card in the camera, don't bother doing it in your computer. Best to choose a good, reliable high speed card. The spec says to use a Class 10 or higher, but in many cards that is not really fast enough. I recommend the Sandisk Extreme series, but buy from a reputable dealer as there are fakes out there. The Phantom requires a card that has a sustained write speed of 45 mb/s or faster. The read speed is not important.
2016-1-22
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-22 22:36
Also, there is no need to have the firmware file on the card all the time. Yo9u might use the one th ...

It is a class 10 card. You answered my question but sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean about formatting the card? I'm not familiar with that I don't think... Thank you.
2016-1-22
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

On the app,  look in the camera section for " Format SD Card"  I think its the camera section.  Somewhere in the app anyway.
2016-1-22
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2
United States

Hi kpresley84,
Here is a screenie that shows the Format SD option. It is under the camera menu, then click on the wrench symbol and scroll down. :-) Hope that helps.

2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

After updating the firmware, you should reformat the SD card, best way for your 32gb is using your computer using FAT32.
And if you don't know how, Google is your friend.
And use a high quality SD card, if you have recording issues then you need a better SD card.
2016-1-22
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-1-23 01:16
Hi kpresley84,
Here is a screenie that shows the Format SD option. It is under the camera menu, then ...

Thank you!
2016-1-23
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 01:26
After updating the firmware, you should reformat the SD card, best way for your 32gb is using your c ...

Can I ask what the purpose of formatting the card is? Thank you.
2016-1-23
Use props
flocko
lvl.1

United States

One purpose is to erase the card and is GUARANTEED to remove all data . The other thing formatting does is give you a root directory for files to be placed in . I had to format mine in the copter as using FAT 32 in my computer would throw an error in the app .
http://www.digicamhelp.com/acces ... rmat-a-memory-card/
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

kpresley84@aol. Posted at 2016-1-23 16:42
Can I ask what the purpose of formatting the card is? Thank you.

It removes all data from the SD card
2016-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

While I do not want to disagree with advice posted by Ken, it is always advisable to do the formatting of a card in the device that will use it, this applies to still cameras, video cameras, drones, whatever. The reason is because the device will then create the directory structure on the card that it expects to see and work with. Formatting in a computer will not do this, and at the same time can cause confusion over which formatting scheme to use.
2016-1-23
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

flocko Posted at 2016-1-23 17:27
One purpose is to erase the card and is GUARANTEED to remove all data . The other thing formatting d ...

It absolutely does not, the format from the app, or the normal default "quick format" done from a computer, does not remove data at all.  Give me any card that has been quick formatted and I could get all the data off it providing it hasn't been used.

Formatting it basically says to the device using the card, that the space is now empty and ready to be written to, it doesn't actually remove any data until you start writing to the card, which will start writing over the existing data.

A Full format, which I don't think you can do from the App at all, and needs to be ticked in Windows, writes over the data, making it mostly unreadable.

Quick formatting basically ensures that the card is in the preferred format for what you are using it in, this is why it is recommended to do i the first time you use a card in a device.
2016-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules