Weak Controller Signal
17916 19 2016-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

Hey everyone, I finally own a DJI Phantom 3! Ive been flying for about 2 months now and decided its time to upgrade. Ive been flying my P3S for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love the quality of this quad copter.

The only issue im running into is im getting Weak Controller Signal anywhere from 110 meters to 200 meters. I will not go any further once it says that because im worried about losing it.
To test it out I went into an open park since I live in the Rocky Mountains I figured it could be trees even tho Im in the open. I sent it directly above me and same thing happens, It will not go past 200 meters high without getting a weak controller signal. Now my Cell phone service is not great, I mean i get 1 bar up here. Is that whats causing this? Do I need full cell phone coverage in order to send my Phantom past 200 meters with a strong signal? Ive downloaded pretty much the entire state of Colorado to my offline maps on google maps to try and help and this morning It was the same thing. I will get talking to anywhere between 9-13 satellites so I know it has a strong connection with those. Im just confused and worried and do not want to lose my investment this early.

Anyone have some tips or something im just missing since im a n00b. I always calibrate the compass before every flight, I always make sure I have at least 6 stateliest and a strong signal before takeoff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2016-1-24
Use props
LeonidAbashidze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 669 ft
Georgia

Same Problem with Phantom 3 Standard, when i lifted it 70-80 meters it stars blinking WEAK SIGNAL ! ...

Some say it's firmware's problem i think it's antenna's problem ...
2016-1-24
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

Well id be happy if its the drone or firmware itself and not operator error. But still sad that I cant send it further that 200 meters. The rocky mountains are so beautiful and I want to capture beautiful photography.
2016-1-24
Use props
LeonidAbashidze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 669 ft
Georgia

I have problem with live view mode, live view mode works perfect on picture mode but when i change it to video (live view) mode it stops works

I have this two problems weak signal and live view mode problem ...

Maybe video mode is the problem it cann't transsmit or smthn  ... we need someone who knows more .. ))
2016-1-24
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matticus Posted at 2016-1-24 14:28
Well id be happy if its the drone or firmware itself and not operator error. But still sad that I ca ...

What position do you have your antenna in?  Also what type phone are you using make sure it's on the supported list.  I don't think. Well service would be an issue.  
2016-1-24
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-24 13:54
What position do you have your antenna in?  Also what type phone are you using make sure it's on t ...

I have the antenna facing straight up but slightly at an angle. Away from my phone. I am using the LG G3 on stock android rom.
2016-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

dacofty is correct.  Antenna position is key to getting the range.  Make sure that the remote control (RC) antenna is PARALLEL to the P3.  That means that if the bird is directly over you, the antenna needs to be pointing straight out away from your body.  If the P3 is out at a distance, the antenna needs to be pointing more upright, with the sides of the antenna facing directly at the P3.  Don't let anything get between you and the Phantom, especially vegetation or buildings.  They can and will block the signal.

A cell phone signal is not needed at all for flying.  In fact, many of us make sure we are in aircraft mode when using cell phones to fly.

Video requires much more data because it is a series (very rapid series) of still pictures that makes up video motion.  In other words, the signal needs to be more reliable for video than stills.  Stills get sent  and they're done.  Video requires a constant stream of data.
2016-1-24
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-1-24 17:05
dacofty is correct.  Antenna position is key to getting the range.  Make sure that the remote contro ...

Thank you for your response. So just now took it out and set the Antenna about 45 degree angle outwards. I got about this high above me before it started. Got a storm coming in too. Also I read beware when flying in the mountains since im above 8000ft elevation, does this matter too?

heres a screenshot I just took.

2016-1-24
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

Also am making sure the P3 is always in line of sight of myself.
2016-1-24
Use props
nabzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353310 ft

LeonidAbashidze Posted at 2016-1-25 03:21
Same Problem with Phantom 3 Standard, when i lifted it 70-80 meters it stars blinking WEAK SIGNAL !  ...

I had the same problem yesterday once I just hit 70m I got the weak signal .

have you sorted your issue out with this ?
if so can you tell me maybe you input will help me and many others ?

rather disappointing that at 70m we get this error
hope one of the DJI team members can give us some assistance on this
2016-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ranen
DJI team
Flight distance : 191562 ft
Hong Kong

Matticus Posted at 2016-1-25 08:45
Thank you for your response. So just now took it out and set the Antenna about 45 degree angle out ...

Matticus, like AG0S said before, make sure the antennas are parallel to the drone. Also, you can lower your video transmission quality and travel further. This post has a good explanation of how to do so: http://forum.dji.com/thread-39021-1-1.html
2016-1-25
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ranen Posted at 2016-1-25 01:35
Matticus, like AG0S said before, make sure the antennas are parallel to the drone. Also, you can l ...

I have the phantom 3 standard, so that will not work for me. I also only have 1 antenna. Im going to do another test flight later, the DJI team mentioned flying directly above isnt a good idea either to get the best signal, send it out.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have the altitude limit set?
Also watch the video below. And you'll get better signal going out instead if straight up.

2016-1-25
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

Ok so after taking it out again and talking with DJI, its been user error the whole time. Heres how my RC setup is now.

I had the antenna at an angle upwards instead of perfectly parallel like in the picture pointing at the drone and where I plan on flying. I sent it straight up and started to get weak signal and then started going forward, the further away I got the stronger signal I was getting since my antenna was pointing in that direction. I was able to get to 250 meters before I got nervous and still had full strength. That was definitely the issue. So if you have weak signal, slowly send it further away from you at where your antenna is pointing and you should see the signal strength get better.

As much trouble as this is, Im thinking of returning my P3S and upgrading to the Advanced so I can have lightbridge.
2016-1-25
Use props
nabzo
lvl.2
Switzerland

@matticus I think I must try this also I never had it parallel

has anyone tried this antenna extender and does it work

2016-1-25
Use props
nabzo
lvl.2
Switzerland

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-i ... 8.100005.10.wiKi4c#
2016-1-25
Use props
solsystem7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

One way to increase signal strength:
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/long-range-kit-for-p3standard/
2016-1-26
Use props
Matticus
lvl.1

United States

solsystem7@gmai Posted at 2016-1-26 07:05
One way to increase signal strength:
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/long-range-kit-for-p3standard/

Thats pretty interesting, Do you personally have this and it works? I may get it if its not too hard to install.
2016-1-26
Use props
jeff957
lvl.2

United States

Matticus Posted at 2016-1-27 13:16
Thats pretty interesting, Do you personally have this and it works? I may get it if its not too ha ...

Stop talking in meters and use English....feet and miles please!
2016-1-26
Use props
djiuser_Qv6SgFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

Mine is doing the same thing, I get no more than 100 meters away then it says signal lost and rth kicks in. I have tried all suggestions with no success any ideas would it be an issue with my transmitter? Its less than 3 months old. Was working great up untill a week ago.
2017-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules