p3a jello on latest video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wizza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 429613 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

On my latest video I'm getting quite bad jello.
I didn't notice any before.
I have already removed the piece from behind the gimbal.

I'm shooting in 1080p at 30fps

Link to video below...

http://youtu.be/gLdz4uHdkGI

The worst part is about 5 minutes onwards in the video.

Any ideas please? I would appreciate it.
2016-1-24
Use props
willbaroo
New

United Kingdom

That will be caused by a high shutter speed I'd imagine - use ND filters to control SS.
2016-1-24
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

what do you mean by shutter speed?  there is no shutter on the camera.  Also he is filming, not taking photos.  There is Framerate & ISO and Aperture.

As for the video.. I work with a lot of cameras and video cameras... many modern ones employ image stabilization w/ a possibility of digital image stabilization.  For example, uploading a video to youtube has the option for digital image stabilization to be applied with the video processing that youtube does.  To me, that is what this looks like, poor compensation due to some factor such as bad vibration in the original recording.  It's difficult to say with a youtube upload.  SO vibration and vibration compensation is my guess.
2016-1-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

afiend69 Posted at 2016-1-24 15:33
what do you mean by shutter speed?  there is no shutter on the camera.  Also he is filming, not taki ...

You can set the shutter speed for video and you can on this camera. Check the camera setting in the app. You will find it. Too high of a shutter speed will cause the jello effect. There is no aperture setting as this is a fixed 2.8 lens. That is why you use shutter speed and/or ND filters to control exposure. You could also use ISO, but it is best to shoot at ISO 100 whenever possible.

RTFM

2016-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, you have jello effect in your footage, but also you would make better clips if you slowed down your movements a lot, those rapid tilts and pans are annoying. Also, it is best to tilt the camera down further and not make sudden moves with the aircraft as you are also getting the props in shot and prop shadow as well.

Jello effect is caused by one thing, and one thing alone, vibration in the camera. The first cause to eliminate is vibration caused by the camera gimbal. That can be checked out on the ground or just hovering in the air in front of you. Does the gimbal buzz or vibrate while sitting in one place? If so, the most usual reason is that the small socket screw that holds the gimbal arm onto the gimbal electronics section is loose. It can be tightened using a small Allen key.

As your jello seems to be most noticeable when the aircraft moves forward, I think it is quite likely that you have one or more out-of-balance props. There are several discussion on this forum about how to balance your props and also some good 'howto' items on YouTube.
2016-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

afiend69 Posted at 2016-1-25 07:33
what do you mean by shutter speed?  there is no shutter on the camera.  Also he is filming, not taki ...

"what do you mean by shutter speed?  there is no shutter on the camera.  Also he is filming, not taking photos.  There is Framerate & ISO and Aperture."

Actually, you have it the wrong way round. There is no aperture control, it is fixed on these cameras. But there is shutter speed, it is an electronic shutter incorporated in the sensor. However it has little to no effect on jello.
2016-1-24
Use props
wizza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 429613 ft
United Kingdom

Cheers for the suggestions
I will go through them one by one....
2016-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wizza Posted at 2016-1-25 10:08
Cheers for the suggestions  
I will go through them one by one....

The other thing is that a recent firmware update caused some aircraft to experience vibration, so check what firmware version you have in your aircraft. If it is 1.5, then this thread may be of interest: http://forum.dji.com/thread-39365-1-1.html
2016-1-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-24 17:56
Yes, you have jello effect in your footage, but also you would make better clips if you slowed down  ...

Geebax is correct that the jello effect also known as rolling shutter is caused by quick movements. His suggestion to slow down and avoid quick jerky movements will alleviate the effect.

Slowing down the shutter speed can help to mask the effect as well, but slowing down and smoothing out the aircraft will have the greatest impact.
2016-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules