Low voltage issue on 90% charged battery
798 6 2016-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dompie99
lvl.2

Canada

Good day to you all and thanks for this amazing world of Drones.

I went to take some pictures yesterday after keeping the batteries (2) under my clothes in order to keep them warm.  When I installed the first one into the drone, I could start the drone but, after ohhhh maybe 20 sec. it stopped ( fortunately I was not airborn ) and gave me the  '' Battery Low voltage, unable to fly '' or something like that.

Now Am I correct when I assume that the temperature was way too low ( -10*C ) and that's what caused the '' unable to fly '' condition. ??

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers and have a great flight season.

Jacko

2016-1-24
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8378937 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It would have been a good idea to switch to the battery page and see what the battery core temp actually was.  Anything much less than 20°C will give trouble on a partially charged battery.  As you pointed out if the core temp is very cold the system will not run at all.
2016-1-24
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks for the reply,

I found out in a NOT perfect way that I should keep the batteries inside my coat to keep them warm.  Welll........live and learn.

But It would have been soo pretty shots.......unbelievable  but now the event is passed.
2016-1-27
Use props
tinner21
lvl.1

United States

Make sure the battery is fully charged!!! Lift aircraft off the ground and hover until battery warms to 25 degrees c before flight.  
2016-1-27
Use props
Dompie
lvl.2

Canada

tinner21 Posted at 2016-1-27 22:59
Make sure the battery is fully charged!!! Lift aircraft off the ground and hover until battery warms ...

Thanks Tinner21,,

I will remember this info since up here, in Canada near the capital ( Ottawa ) the temp goes sub zero about three months a year. So I'd better get used to this and keep these informations coming to me.
I will use them '' ad-nauseam ''.
2016-1-27
Use props
tinner21
lvl.1

United States

Dompie Posted at 2016-1-27 21:11
Thanks Tinner21,,

I will remember this info since up here, in Canada near the capital ( Ottawa )  ...

I'm in Montana, same situation.  If I don't us a fully charged battery that's at 25 c it gets ugly!!!
2016-1-27
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

But the good news is if you nail the throttle a few good times the battery warms itself up nicely..  I use a heated battery bag from hobby king for initial warmth and then once the p3 starts pulling power it's got no issue maintaining or increasing temp while flying..  By the way the heated battery bag costs $18 and a 5000mah 3 cell lipo will run it for 4 or 5 hrs easily continuously in temps as low as 15 degrees F
2016-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules