Suggestions for next Gen DJI's
1017 6 2016-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

A couple things that I would like to see on the next Gen DJIs:

1. "Mock" Micro SD Card slots on the controller to put spare cards in. Becuase Of there tiny size they are easy to loose, and I've been known to go out with my drone and leave my Micro SD card in my card reader at home..... Atleast If I had a spare or two in my controller, I would always have a  card with me.

2. Probably less feasable, but add an extra turning axis on the camera itself, allowing it to be move between portrait and landscape orentation. Obviously this would be for photos only, so likely a lot less demand for this feature.

3. More control over Exposure brackting, ie, able to change bracket amount from the defualt 0.7 stops.

4. On board buffer for photos, rather then writing directly to card. Would allow for much faster photo taking when using multi shot or bracketing mode.
2016-1-24
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

- Redesigned/Strengthened/better material for shell so cracks are completely eliminated.
- Redesigned/Strengthened Gimbal/arms so that they cannot break/get damaged from a small impact.
- Protected Camera Ribbon Cable.
- Zenmuse Camera/Gimbal option.
- Collusion avoidance.
- Redesigned Prop spindle/Props so they cannot come of in flight.
- Some degree of water protection/resistance so flying in light/snow rain does no harm. -   Main PCB to be completely water protected. (Survivability of falling in fresh water is higher)
- Inbuilt Locator Beacon with independent battery supply. i.e. ability to track and find a downed craft.
- Higher bit rate video.
- > Love the idea of spare SD card storage slots on controller.

2016-1-24
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-25 12:30
- Redesigned/Strengthened/better material for shell so cracks are completely eliminated.
- Redesig ...

Some cool ideas there DJI-p3p1

I've not had any issues yet, but judging by these forums, some changes to ther strength of the shell is needed

- Redesigned/Strengthened Gimbal/arms so that they cannot break/get damaged from a small impact.

The X3 seems better designed then the gimbal on the Phantoms, maybe it could be used (weight penalty?) Any strengthing is going to be hard as it will come with a weight penalty.

- Protected Camera Ribbon Cable.

Seems like a good idea, routing it within the arms of the gimbal?

- Zenmuse Camera/Gimbal option.

By this do you mean the X3? X5 just isn't going to happen.

- Collusion avoidance.

Would be nice, but posssibly not within the budget on the phantom series?

- Redesigned Prop spindle/Props so they cannot come of in flight.

I don't know if it's possible, but something quick release that can't come off instead of threaded would be nice.

- Some degree of water protection/resistance so flying in light/snow rain does no harm. -   Main PCB to be completely water protected. (Survivability of falling in fresh water is higher)
One again, would be nice, but I don't know about possible. Water proofing genrerally insulates, and the heat needs to get out of these somehow.

- Inbuilt Locator Beacon with independent battery supply. i.e. ability to track and find a downed craft.
Cool idea, might need to be on a lower Freq (900mhz?), becuase if it crashed from being out of range, then the locator would also be out of range.

- Higher bit rate video.
Wouldn't say no, I trhink it is currently atleast partly restricted by the speed of the media device ie, no matter what card you use, the reader/writter in the phantom has a write/read limit. Although it's probably beyond current technology, hopefully a better sensors come along at some point, video/photos at ISO400 and beyond just become a mushy mess fairly quickly (can't expect to much from a small sensor).
2016-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-25 15:30
- Redesig ...

"- Redesigned/Strengthened/better material for shell so cracks are completely eliminated."

The shell was re-designed late in 2015 and has been strengthened in several places. Most of the complaints about shell cracks relate to the older shell.

"- Collusion avoidance."

Most countries have laws about that.

"Main PCB to be completely water protected. (Survivability of falling in fresh water is higher)"

This would not be really possible. Most of the components on a PCB are alrready water-proof, but further coating is possible, however it tends to make the board impractical to repair as you cannot get to solder joints. The board will survive immersion in fresh water anyway, it is salt water that does the damage, and it has nothing to do with coatings, it is the stray electrical connections that are made if the board is powered up when it goes into salt water.

"- Higher bitrate video"

The gimbal system can probably write way faster than it currently does. The real limit is the SD card itself. At present, it requires a medium speed card, but a faster rate would put it in the range where only one or two high rate cards would be fast enough, and they cost significantly more. Further than that, the next fastest card is the CFast, and it is too big to be carried on such a small aircraft. The real problem here is the card technology is lagging behind the imaging technology.

2016-1-24
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-25 16:23
"- Redesigned/Strengthened/better material for shell so cracks are completely eliminated."

The she ...

Hey Geebax, G'day.

What I meant by Collusion Avoidance was as per this page:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/ ... ollision-avoidance/

I know my answer to cmcsasteel94 about avoiding trees was a bit "tongue in cheeky" but I agree with his concept, thus a system built in to detect the immediate space around and avoid a collusion. The technogy exists (and in fact the P3 with sonar and Optical sensors at the bottom is using it) it probably more a question about cost.
I don't think there is a law against it. - if there is then I have learnt something new today.

I agree that the shell was redesigned in 2015, but there are a some people on this forum (including 2 friends that fly with me) with newer 2015 shells that have hairline cracks from the outer screws in the arms and they have never crashed or had hard landings - it may be less then before but the problem still exists.

Agree with the Waterproofing & Bitrate - Just Wishing they find a way...

2016-1-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-25 19:17
Hey Geebax, G'day.

What I meant by Collusion Avoidance was as per this page:

Yeah, I know what you meant, just look up the word 'collusion' in the dictionary, as against 'collision'. There is a law against one, but not necessarily the other.
2016-1-25
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-25 19:32
Yeah, I know what you meant, just look up the word 'collusion' in the dictionary, as against 'coll ...

Hahahaha!

I think in this case issue at my end definitely lies between Chair and Keyboard.

Well spotted!
2016-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules