Night photo, "Long exposure problem" picture included
2002 14 2016-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jdmwhre14
lvl.1

United States

Hello all, "please excuse my grammars"

Have anyone experience shaky phantom3? it's not the gimbal jello'ing its actually the drone shaking?
there has been a few time where i would hover my drone, and i can see the drone is shaking violently? then if i were to increase alt by a little bit it would stop the shaking.
due to this reason im unable to take any long exposure night photo, could it be the wind?
is it just me expecting too much?
Thank you in advance.  
DJI_0002.JPG
DJI_0006.JPG
2016-1-24
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Vibrations can come from unbalanced props. Check their condition and verify the balance (or swap with your spares as a test). Some posters have also recently suggested to slightly lower the Roll gain to 90. The flags in your lower photo don't give the impression of strong winds.
2016-1-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Agree with jonhsr. Long exposures like that are always going to be a hit or miss affair. You really need perfect conditions to get them right. But as he suggested, try rducing the roll gain.
2016-1-25
Use props
jdmwhre14
lvl.1

United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-1-25 02:33
Vibrations can come from unbalanced props. Check their condition and verify the balance (or swap wit ...

Johnsr, you have just unlock hawkeye achievement!!
let me go research how to check for unbalance prop.
and how to do reduce roll gain to 90
2016-1-25
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Do you get OK images doing the day?   You should be able to take night time pictures although you are pushing the limits of the camera.  The second image is a 1 second exposure so you really cannot have ANY movement.  I agree with johnsr that winds are probably not the cause as the flags are not moving much.  However, winds aloft can bet significantly different from ground winds.  You should balance your props.   There are a number of ways to do this - look it up.

Phantoms have recently had significant problems with shaking due to something in a recent firmware update (1.5 - 1.6).  What is your firmware version.  You can try reducing the roll gain to 90, sometimes works.  Some people have had to send the drone in for repair.  Cold weather seems to make this worse.

You should also set your exposure mode to manual and push the ISO up to get a faster shutter speed.
2016-1-25
Use props
jdmwhre14
lvl.1

United States

WetDog Posted at 2016-1-25 02:50
Do you get OK images doing the day?   You should be able to take night time pictures although you ar ...

my current firmware is on 1.6
as for balancing prop i haven't done anything to it yet, i will have to get down to business with that.
When you said "send in the drone for repair, you mean sending it back to DJI correct? if so do you know how much it cost or is it free?

Thank you WetDog
2016-1-25
Use props
hwangsta88
lvl.1

United States

in addition to the prop balancing, try doing a cold IMU and gimbal calibration on a completely level surface. also looks like your horizon is tilted.

also how many seconds are you setting your long exposure for? if its set for too long during a windy flight, definitely will get blur in the picture.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

what was your shutter speed? it could be caused by windy weather as well.  Also i'd recommend turning off front lights to get rid of those red spots in the upper part of the image
2016-1-25
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I've taken several 3 second exposures in 12mph wind.  Any longer & you need better flight conditions (lower wind).
2016-1-25
Use props
jdmwhre14
lvl.1

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-25 07:43
I've taken several 3 second exposures in 12mph wind.  Any longer & you need better flight conditions ...

do you mind uploading a few photo of your? so i can reference something?
2016-1-25
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

jdmwhre14@hotma Posted at 2016-1-25 14:49
do you mind uploading a few photo of your? so i can reference something?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-39468-1-1.html
I see yours were 8 second exposures...you'll need perfectly still conditions & a lot of luck for the aircraft not to move or rotate during that time.  You need to increase the ISO to increase shutter speed.  If you went to ISO 200 you may have got away with a 4 second exposure or ISO 400 a 2 second exposure, which would almost certainly have come out sharp looking at what you did achieve.

edit: looking at the others, you still have some movement at the faster shutter speeds.  The best you can do is take several shots the same & pick the sharpest.  The more you take, the more chance you'll get a good image.
2016-1-25
Use props
jdmwhre14
lvl.1

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-25 10:50
http://forum.dji.com/thread-39468-1-1.html
I see yours were 8 second exposures...you'll need per ...

Thank you Nigelw,
i will try that.
2016-1-25
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

8 Seconds is a very long exposure for a drone to stay perfectly still for, the longest I've done is about 1 second, and the longest successful long exposure I've seen on here was 3 seconds.

Your second two photos of Denton where much shorter exposures (1 sec), hence they are much sharper.

2016-1-25
Use props
jdmwhre14
lvl.1

United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-25 12:55
8 Seconds is a very long exposure for a drone to stay perfectly still for, the longest I've done is  ...

my expectation were a bit too high
to  think about it at 6 second handheld, i dont even think i can do it, what i was thinking expecting the drone to do it..
2016-1-25
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

jdmwhre14@hotma Posted at 2016-1-26 03:14
my expectation were a bit too high
to  think about it at 6 second handheld, i dont even think i ...

If you keep trying on still nights, you might get lucky and get one.
2016-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules