Motor Half Power?
1610 15 2016-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

I just got my bird back from dji for the 2nd time.  The first time was for the no signal problem which seems like they fixed.  But when I got it back I updated, cold imu calibration and went flying.  Noticed it was drifting alot at hover and was shaking real bad.  So I emailed them back and they wanted it sent back in. So I did. Got it back and they said they replaced...

On the Aircraft:
The Main Control Board Module
The Lightbridge Transmitter

On the camera:
The FC300X Camera Main Board.

fireware 1.6

My problem is now the vibration seems ok but it is still drifting, not bad but it use to stay perfectly still while hovering with no wind and now its not.  But I did notice Sunday I went to go straight up at full throttle and after 3-4 seconds you can hear the motors cut to half power and it climbs very slow.  I use to get to 350 feet in no time and now it takes over a minute to get there.  I brought it back down and did it about 8 more times and every time at the 3-4 second mark you can hear the motors cutting to half power.  Does anyone know why or is this a new feature I haven't  heard about?  I could not find anything on it.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry you had issues with that.
Here are the specs now for your aircraft.
Max Ascent Speed        5 m/s
Max Descent Speed        3 m/s
2016-1-25
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

According to specs of 5m/s (16 feet/s), it should take about 22 seconds to get to 350 feet. I'd allow 30 to count for wind and other factors, if it's taking much longer than that, I'd send your logs in to DGI (wouldn't hurt to post a copy of your log here either.

I'm assuming you have done all the normal GPS/IMU calibrations? Also might recommend trying the same thing in Atti mode and seeing if there is a difference in speed?
2016-1-25
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Are you actually timing it or does it 'seem like it takes over a minute'?  Perceptions are very fragile things.  The 1.6 firmware rev did slow the craft down a bit.  For some people, it's noticeable, others, like myself, not so much.

Now that Ken has given the max ascent speed, you can easily determine if your bird is within specs.  You also don't state what your ambient or battery temperature is.  The entire reason to slow the Phantoms down is to prevent a cold battery from failing dramatically when stressed.  If it is particularly cold out, the Phantom may be taking it even slower.

I can't think of a reason why speed would be different in Atti mode?  Pantera, do you have a mechanism for that?

And, unfortunately, many people, myself included, have noticed a decrease in station keeping ability with 1.6.  It would be nice to have that back.
2016-1-25
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-25 18:00
According to specs of 5m/s (16 feet/s), it should take about 22 seconds to get to 350 feet. I'd allo ...

I have done all the calibrations,   and not timing it with a watch but 1-1000 2-1000 3-1000 counting.   Which logs are you talking about and how to I retrieve them?  thanks for the help BTW
2016-1-26
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

WetDog Posted at 2016-1-25 18:08
Are you actually timing it or does it 'seem like it takes over a minute'?  Perceptions are very frag ...

counting at 1-1000 2-1000 3-1000 and so on which is pretty much dead on a watch I would say its out of spec.
2016-1-26
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-25 16:32
Sorry you had issues with that.
Here are the specs now for your aircraft.
Max Ascent Speed        5 m/s

hey Ken when you say here are the specs "now"  are you meaning they have changed since I bought it?   Also I have been searching and I dont see where anyone has talked about hearing the motors reduced power.  It is something you can clearly hear when you see the bird slow down.   When I mash the joystick all the way up the bird takes off like a bat at of hell like it always did and exactly the 4 sec mark you see the bird slow down and as well as you hear it.  Sounds like reducing power by 50%
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mudcon Posted at 2016-1-27 01:19
hey Ken when you say here are the specs "now"  are you meaning they have changed since I bought it ...

Can you make a video of what you are talking about.
2016-1-26
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Mudcon Posted at 2016-1-26 17:19
hey Ken when you say here are the specs "now"  are you meaning they have changed since I bought it ...

Is the battery cold when you test it?  I believe FW 1.6 reduces maximum power to prevent problems when the battery's cold.  You can see battery temp in the battery settings in the app. Or if you upload your flight records to healthydrones.com you'll see it there.  Try hovering until the battery warms up & test again.
2016-1-26
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

WetDog Posted at 2016-1-26 08:08
Are you actually timing it or does it 'seem like it takes over a minute'?  Perceptions are very frag ...

I'll see If I can find it, but saw on the spec sheets that it had an"*in ATTI mode"  after the speed specs, so I'm assuming the GPS modes may be slower?
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-27 03:36
I'll see If I can find it, but saw on the spec sheets that it had an"*in ATTI mode"  after the spe ...

Yes, GPS mode is a few MPH slower.
2016-1-26
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Watch your ascent speed on your DJI Go app.  See if the ascent speed actually slows down when it sounds like the motors are cutting power.  Im curious haha
2016-1-26
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2016-1-26 13:50
Watch your ascent speed on your DJI Go app.  See if the ascent speed actually slows down when it sou ...

I will test that out this weekend.
2016-1-26
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-26 13:43
Yes, GPS mode is a few MPH slower.

if it is reduced due to firmware wouldnt it be reduced the whole time on full acceleration?  not wide open and reduce it after 4 seconds?  My batteries came out of the house so they would of been amibent temp of the house at 70deg.  It was over 55deg out so battery protection should not be an issuse would it?  Also I noticed it when my battery was at 61 percent so I had been flying for alittle bit already.
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mudcon Posted at 2016-1-27 06:49
if it is reduced due to firmware wouldnt it be reduced the whole time on full acceleration?  not w ...

If you can make a video that would be great.
2016-1-26
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Logs

Mudcon Posted at 2016-1-26 18:14
Which logs are you talking about and how to I retrieve them?

You can start with the logs from your phone uploaded to healthydrones.
If the Geek Bug bites theres a huge selection of tools to play with.

Click here to learn more about the logs and tools
2016-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules