Drone Registration Question(s)
1816 21 2016-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danwahoo
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I've been very busy but this link (http://www.fastcompany.com/30546 ... gister-with-the-faa) was passed to me weeks ago. I'm looking into whether I should/should not register.

I've done some light searching here, but would appreciate any of your comments, feedback, and thoughts onto whether you are registering your drone for personal
2016-1-26
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

I registered on the FAA site.  Very easy.  Very simple.  Does not require a lot of info and it is only 5 dollars.  Dont be like the people who aren't registering because they want to "show the government who is boss."  Registration will only hurt you if you are doing illegal things with your drone.  In many cases, it may help with the return of your drone if it becomes lost or stolen!  I have registered and put the number inside and outside the bird.
2016-1-26
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Register - quick and painless.
2016-1-26
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

The FAA Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) Registration Service is HERE.. Agree with other posters, easy and simple. Folks may also want to check out the FAA B4UFly iOS & Android App.
2016-1-26
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Have a look at Jim's meeting with a former FAA girl who knows stuff.

2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-27 06:55
Have a look at Jim's meeting with a former FAA girl who knows stuff.

Jim Bowers

hmm interesting interview..{:3_44:}
2016-1-27
Use props
betasteve
lvl.1

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-26 16:02
Whatever you do. Don't register. Don't listen to these guys that follow illegal laws. You all still  ...

This isn't quite entirely accurate, but it will be interesting to see how the D.C. Circuit deals with the registration issue in Taylor v. FAA.  
2016-1-27
Use props
danwahoo
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for all your replies.

I'm at a standstill. I got just about one week to register. I've read all replies and watched this video. I don't see any positives of registering unless I were to lose my aircraft. If I were to lose it, I don't think the scenarios of me retrieving it would be positive anyways. In all honesty, I fly my drone is places purists might not be thrilled about. Occasionally I will take off right on my driveway and scan the city around me or look at the sunset.

I'm not a fan of the government, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist either. That being said, I always feel more secure not giving out my personal information, or having some random person have the ability to look my personal information up just because my drone got hit by a bird and happened to land near in a bad spot.

Help me make a decision. Thank you.
2016-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Register, don't register, your choice. Why ask everyone else to make a decision only you can make.
2016-2-11
Use props
danwahoo
lvl.1

United States

Because others who are located here in the US are much more familiar with the government and regulations than I am, particularly those who may be living in similar city locations and see this through that perspective. So basically the same reason you ask (or at least should) for legal or tax advice.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

danwahoo Posted at 2016-2-12 13:32

I'm at a standstill. I got just about one week to register. I've re ...

I don't see what the fuss is in registering, your required to but do whatever you want.
I have the hobby registration and the full size FAA registration to go with my exemption.
Your name is already all over the place, having it on the FAA registration isn't really going to be a big deal.
That's just my opinion
2016-2-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

danwahoo Posted at 2016-2-12 16:32

I'm at a standstill. I got just about one week to register. I've re ...

"Help me make a decision. Thank you."
Do you ask for advice whether to follow speed limits, pay taxes or avoid attacking people?
2016-2-11
Use props
daballerand1
lvl.1

United States

Great example. I don't ask for advice not for following speed limits, because I know what I can push and can't push legally.
2016-2-12
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

danwahoo Posted at 2016-2-12 13:41
Because others who are located here in the US are much more familiar with the government and regulat ...

Registration is a question of whether or, not you accept responsibility for your actions by tagging your bird with your FA number.   Don't register and you could be subject to fines, and court costs; register and the door remains open to commercial use of your photos and videos.
2016-2-12
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-12 16:58
"Help me make a decision. Thank you."
Do you ask for advice whether to follow speed limits, pay ta ...

Crikey bloke, give him a break, there's substantial controversy about this in the states and all he was doing was asking for opinions of a group that's meant to be supportive and helpful. I know you know your stuff but that's a little harsh.
2016-2-12
Use props
daballerand1
lvl.1

United States

Thank you to those added value and tried to help. I registered my drone today.
2016-2-17
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Easy to register, but really get a "drone".  regardless if you register or not, they are super fun to fly.
2016-2-17
Use props
daballerand1
lvl.1

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-2-17 11:36
Easy to register, but really get a "drone".  regardless if you register or not, they are super fun t ...

Yes, I have one Hence why I asking whether or not to register it!
2016-2-17
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

for me, I did register, since I am in a more populated area with small aircraft student's flying overhead, it was more of a just case some ass hat wants to complain or if I lose it.  
If you are in a more remote area flying with less people, air traffic, etc, I say why bother.
2016-2-17
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Keep in mind folks, online registering if for "Hobby" only!

Commercial is mail in "only" using official FAA papers obtained through the FAA or related flight places. It's also a little more involved.
The FAA plans to create an online format for commercial registration sometime this summer.
2016-2-17
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

There are arguments on both sides, but if you are asked by a Police officer or State trooper etc for your number and don't have one the chances of getting your new P3 confiscated are a lot higher. It seems the rule is pretty clear, if you have nothing to hide its a non-issue, as to privacy google your name I  would be fairly surprised if you can't see a picture as well as lot of other information on yourself.
2016-2-17
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

It's a gamble on waiting and seeing what Congress does but Congress has attached a "Common Sense" Amendment to the FAA's new budget bill. This common sense rule would eliminate a lot of the red tape surrounding small drones (I want to say the bill mentions drones under 4.4lbs). This includes Commercial use and the need for a pilots license. Now Congress does state you would have to comply with all current drone rules such as NFZ, 400' max altitude etc. I didn't read anything about registration. So who knows. I'm sure commercial drones would still have to register which is understandable. Congress hopes to have the FAA's new budget in place before the old one expires March 31st. It would be nice if the Amendment happened and by that date. The only issue is the FAA's budget is a heated debate and may drag out longer than expected. You can wait till then to register your drones, but you're risking being penalized for not registering on time. I don't see the FAA or any law enforcement agencies drive around any time seen checking tail numbers on toys. Law Enforcement has more things to worry about and the FAA doesn't have the man power...and should never have the man power to do that. So, it's a coin toss I guess.
2016-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules