12Next >
2706 45 2016-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

I have Photoshop Elements 6.0 and like it.
Any recommendations/advice on video editing...
P.S. I be a tightwad
2016-1-26
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Adobe Premiere
2016-1-26
Use props
j30trouble
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft
United States

FILMORA look for a discount coupon on Google. You can try for free but puts watermark on video.
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Final Cut and  Adobe Pemier  are the best
2016-1-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-27 15:32

They are certainly the most expensive, but professional editors will argue they are not the best by a long shot.
2016-1-26
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DaVinci Resolve is free if you can be satisfied with videos up to UHD. If you want full 4K it costs. It also has NLE capabilities now, and is the best solution for colouring.

Personally I run both Final Cut and DaVinci Resolve Studio.
2016-1-26
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 18:23
They are certainly the most expensive, but professional editors will argue they are not the best b ...

Funny, considering they are the industry standards.
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 13:23
They are certainly the most expensive, but professional editors will argue they are not the best b ...

If final cut and premiere are not the best, which one is the best then?
2016-1-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-27 18:10
If final cut and premiere are not the best, which one is the best then?

There are several others that have strong following, Sony Vegas being one of them, it is regarded by professionals as being one of the most flexible editing systems around. I has vastly better audio handling than the other two. Lightworks is highly regarded by film people.
2016-1-27
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 13:23

Please enlighten us with the 'better' alternatives... lol
2016-1-27
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 16:08
There are several others that have strong following, Sony Vegas being one of them, it is regarded  ...

Both of those are rated well behind Adobe premiere pro and Final Cutt Pro, they are considered prosumer level editing software where as Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere are professional editing sweets
2016-1-27
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 21:08
There are several others that have strong following, Sony Vegas being one of them, it is regarded  ...

Not the most accurate of polls, but Dave Dugdales study came up with:

~25% Premiere Pro CS6
~24% Premiere Pro CC
~12.5% Apple Final Cut
~7% Sony Vegas
~ >1% Lightworks

So for every one person that uses lightworks, there are 50 using Premiere.   Not what  I would call a strong following
Also that was a study of Film Makers, editors, prodecers etc, so "pros"
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 16:08

Oh interesting... didn't know that.. Are you editing your videos with Sony Vegas?
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-27 19:17
Oh interesting... didn't know that.. Are you editing your videos with Sony Vegas?

Yes, I do.
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

C_LUU Posted at 2016-1-27 19:13
Both of those are rated well behind Adobe premiere pro and Final Cutt Pro, they are considered pro ...

Nope, they are both considered professional level editors. Take that from someone who cut his teeth editing manually on 2 inch quad machines 40 years ago, and still edits today.
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Great! Would be interesting to see the results you got with in Sony Vegas,  if you don't mind of  course
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-27 19:30
Great! Would be interesting to see the results you got with in Sony Vegas,  if you don't mind of   ...

I bought the P3P to shoot specific items as part of my interest in documenting old wooden bridges. As such, the shots are very simple and do not require much in the way of editing. In fact, they would probably bore you to death. I do other work as well, but it is not public.
2016-1-27
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 16:23
Nope, they are both considered professional level editors. Take that from someone who cut his teet ...

I wont be taking any video editing advice from you after your adobe and final cut comments, that would be silly. But hey, if your only shooting wooden bridges you could get away with using windows video editor
2016-1-27
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Pinnacle Studio is not bad for under 100 bucks.
2016-1-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-26 23:32

I agree Tim, I am a Final Cut Pro Guy. Jim Hare is as well and we all know how outstanding his work is.
2016-1-27
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Edit Studio is a decent product and on sale.
Edit Studio
2016-1-27
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used Filmora to produce this short video. The software only cost $49 and does a good job with what I do on Youtube.

Be sure to change the settings to watch in 1080....turn on the sound too
2016-1-27
Use props
Stanley Fredrik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Premiere Pro work for me and Final Cut Pro. U can try 30 days premiere pro and fcpx.
2016-1-27
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

WOW, thanks for all the input. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of research on the myriad options...
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

C_LUU Posted at 2016-1-28 00:52
I wont be taking any video editing advice from you after your adobe and final cut comments, that w ...

No, I don't suppose you would. But your rude reply about wooden bridges is precisely the reason I do not share clips here. I guess you are probably a young know-it-all who has no regard for years of experience. I would have been editing long before you were born.

Just for information, Sony Vegas Pro is a leading editor used by independent filmmakers around the world. It is considered superior to the ones from the Church of Jobs in situations where the edit is very complex. It also handles multi-cam shoots better and has far greater audio editing capabilities. However I also recommend both GoPro Studio to people for simple editing, as it is free and quite capable, and also Blackmagic Resolve.
2016-1-27
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 05:31
No, I don't suppose you would. But your rude reply about wooden bridges is precisely the reason I d ...

"Sony Vegas Pro is a leading editor"

At 7% use compared 50% use of combined Premiere CC and CS6, it's for from leading. Following would probably be a better term.
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-28 09:19

At 7% use compared 50% use of combined Premiere CC and CS6,  ...

How many editors have you used? I can count over 20 in my time, including ones I have had a hand in developing.
2016-1-27
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 06:38
How many editors have you used? I can count over 20 in my time, including ones I have had a hand i ...

Probably 10 or so. Just because a program was good 40 years ago doesn't mean it has any relevance today.

2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-28 09:44
Probably 10 or so. Just because a program was good 40 years ago doesn't mean it has any relevance  ...

I did not say a 40 year old editor has any relevance to today's editors, but as one of the first people in Australia to work with computer based editing, and still doing so, I might just have a good knowledge of editing systems.
2016-1-27
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 07:07
I did not say a 40 year old editor has any relevance to today's editors, but as one of the first p ...

Or just an outdated, and probably biased opinion if you have had a hand in making programs (everyone is attached to their own creations).
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-28 10:24
Or just an outdated, and probably biased opinion if you have had a hand in making programs (everyo ...

Ah yes, you have correctly deduced that I am an older person and therefore does not keep up with modern trends, and is vainly hanging onto the past. Only the young know anything.....

It actually implies that I have had the opportunity to sample a lot of editing programs and are able to select the one best suited to the job. The editing programs I had a hand in the development of have long since gone away, as they are not a patch on the systems around these days.
2016-1-27
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-28 08:19

At 7% use compared 50% use of combined Premiere CC and CS6,  ...

This is based on the average guy like you and me making films  and guys making indie films and docos , the giants of the industry mostly use propriety software , LucasArts called theirs EditDroid and it was bought out later by Avid .

Universal Studios use Avid , Discreet Smoke and Flame , Inferno , Lustre  .

They would also use Premiere , Vegas and final cut etc , but I think the real big film houses rent special software that cost many thousands of dollars , I read once where Pixar who use propriety software called Marionette that cannot be bought anywhere had something like 2000 pc in a render farm rendering 24/7 for months on end .

Avid used to be the leader in the big studios dont know if thats still the case .
2016-1-27
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 07:42
Ah yes, you have correctly deduced that I am an older person and therefore does not keep up with mo ...

*Best suited to your job

This doesn't really seem to be going anywhere, so I'll just let the numbers speak for themselves and leave it at that.
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RodB Posted at 2016-1-28 10:44
This is based on the average guy like you and me making films  and guys making indie films and doc ...

Quite true, but a number of those applications are not editors per se, but Fx programs, compositors and animation platforms. Keep an eye on Blackmagic, they are going to turn the world on its head with regard to those expensive programs. They already have the world's best colour correction, and now they are adding editing to it. And they will always have a free version of it available.
2016-1-27
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 09:49
Quite true, but a number of those applications are not editors per se, but Fx programs, compositor ...

Yes Ive been keeping an eye on BlackMagic .

I tried Avid years ago and I just couldnt get my head around its interface its was so different from everything else I was used to  , a bit like how Zbrush is totally different interface and workflow from normal 3D programs makes its very hard to get into but it has awesome power , like my old 3D teacher used to say its all about program familiarity , they all pretty good once you understand the program .
2016-1-27
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

RodB Posted at 2016-1-28 07:56
Yes Ive been keeping an eye on BlackMagic .

I tried Avid years ago and I just couldnt get my head ...

Isn't the black Magic stuff more 3D effects rather than linear editing? Or do they have software for that too now?
2016-1-27
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-28 10:44
Isn't the black Magic stuff more 3D effects rather than linear editing? Or do they have software f ...

Blackmagic Davinci Resolve does full editing as well as the best color correction , this is the program Im thinking off its well developed , Geebax might have heard about something else in development .

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

DaVinci Resolve 12

The free DaVinci Resolve 12 is a full professional editing and color grading system that is suitable for independent users working on SD, HD and Ultra HD projects.
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RodB Posted at 2016-1-28 14:39
Blackmagic Davinci Resolve does full editing as well as the best color correction , this is the pr ...

While I am fortunate enough to know the CEO of Blackmagic, having worked with him in the past, I know nothing more than you do about what is coming. However they have a commitment to further development in many areas, not just software. And a common theme is that they come out with a good, but unfinished product, but watch out when the next version is released. I met Grant at a funeral recently, and he indicated there is lots more to come.

The most exciting thing about Blackmagic is that they have a passion for pricing their products at rock bottom prices, and that has angered a lot of makers of ridiculously high priced equipment.
2016-1-27
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 05:31
No, I don't suppose you would. But your rude reply about wooden bridges is precisely the reason I d ...

Sorry if i Offended you, i did not mean to do that

as for age, it is nothing but a number, so don't use that against yourself or anyone else.

I was pointing to the fact that simple edits like your bridges (which you even said yourself were simple) don't need the more lavish editing programs anyway so you are right to probably say Sony Vegas is the best match for your requirements, however you are wrong when you say its the leading editing program preferred by film makers. There are absolutely no facts to support that, only your opinion. Just because you consider yourself 'experienced' and you use Sony Vegas, does not make it the leading editing software. Myself and others in this very thread are very experienced film makers, a lot of which even have some pretty outstanding achievements in terms of publishing's. But i wont be getting into specifics accolades, because people who do that are usually far less experienced than they let on...

As for the know all comment... Please... you only have to read a few threads on this forum to work out that you are the condescending know all

Have a nice day
2016-1-27
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-28 14:02
While I am fortunate enough to know the CEO of Blackmagic, having worked with him in the past, I k ...

The free version of Davinci 12 is awesome for being free it very full featured .
2016-1-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules