Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-30 19:41
This is interesting, Macho.

I came up with a different opinion when examining the logs on Healthy ...

Its typical that the line just ends where the signal is lost. Normally when it cames back and has signal again it starts a new log. I had this several times it looks exactly like this.
Healthydrones shows loss of video signal and often very dramatic while in reality you dont even noticte the @100 minor errors@ which may have occured. But if the RC signal is lost there is no log on your tablet showing this because the plane just disappeared and cannot report any errors anymore.
2016-1-30
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-30 21:45
Ah. Thanks, Macho.

So, given that the logs are written periodically (let's imagine every second f ...

lol just edited my post to explain the same.....

you can test this very easy when you do the same like he did in a controlled environment like flying behind a hill just 200m away from you. After 50-100m you will probably loose the signal completely and it will return on the alt you set which I recommend be not under 100m in most situations. You will find then in DJI go 2 logs of this 1. before the signal was lost 2. after the signal came back.

This way you also see exactly for which part it actually had no signal - its the missing part on both logs.
2016-1-30
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Theoretically in this area it could also have crashed with a bird - but thats not the case here because the yellow line would not just end straight if this happened there would be somekind of weird spiral at the end as it would have fallen down in the sea.

The problem may now be how you can search it on the rocks if it is even possible to go there. Its also unknown if its hanging in a tree or fallen down to the ground both is possible. If you find it there is a real chance that it survived without big damage probably only the propellers broken. No joke if it hit only the side of some tree it will have fallen down but be almost undamaged. If it hit the rock there is also a chance it has only minor damage because RTH speed is rather low and it will not have hit at 90 degree. If you can access this rock it will be worth searching it.
2016-1-30
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

Thank you everyone for taking the time to review.

I do not feel that the accident was due to it flying RTH because of the sudden drop off. The radio waves do not travel in a linear pattern, so I think I would have still had some reception as the Inspire started to fly behind the rock. I've flown in similar situations and the video may break up, but usually I'll still have some data connection. This was lights out.

Also, once I realized the Inspire was not coming home I immediately drove the area with my controller on and it was not able to pick up any signal from the Inspire. Had it crashed into the rock it would still have been transmitting.

Thanks again!
2016-1-30
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I concur with Paul......batteries seem to come out easy as.
2016-1-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-30 12:34
So, I should smoke a bowl or two before taking flight??

Paul..

Probably would not hurt!!

Would most likely help you keep your mind off all the things that can go wrong  

Rich

2016-1-30
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ive had the iPad screen go blank and IOS rebooted in the middle of a flight. I looked down at the controller to see the green connect light still on. The key is not to panic- I had GPS when screen went blank. After reboot of iPad and Started up DJI APP it came back as nothing was wrong. It's hard not to get excited for the potential loss of the Inspire and also the possibility of hurting someone or damaging  other property.
Sorry for your loss. Hope you can find it.
2016-1-31
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-1-30 11:38
Sorry for any DJI aircraft loss, but the KML from HealthyDrones agrees with your analysis:

Sure looks like the signal dropped before becoming occluded by the rock wall.  I suspect that either the APP or tablet crashed to result in a black screen, then the Inspire would eventually RTH or auto land when the battery reached the critical point.
I certainly empathize with these unexplainable mysteries.  Hope DJI will as well.
2016-1-31
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

ioshua Posted at 2016-1-31 01:06
Thank you everyone for taking the time to review.

I do not feel that the accident was due to it fl ...

You are not the first losing the signal immediately behind of a rock. You already loose it behind trees however there it may still fly 100m.

I remember someone wanted to fly it around a remote rock - and realized too late that this was a bad idea. Immediately behind the rock the signal got lost and RTH was set 30m so he found it then down the rock in which it crashed in 30m.

Such things happen rather often because most people think well if its flying 5km in LOS it probably will fly 500m behind a rock..........unfortunately there is no signal penetration on the rock not even 10m. You can try this at home you already loose signal after a thick wall 50m away.

The battery is always thrown out when it crashes and the gimbal also if you are lucky otherwise its broken. It will have crashed not more then 2 minutes after you lost the signal. Even if you were hurrying on the road down the rock you would not have seen it anymore. And probably you didnt start running immediately you first waited that it comes back.

Because of the 65m alt i more think it hit the trees on the rock. In this case you will only see it if if has fallen down which is very likely and you stand 2m in front of it. But as I said I doubt its damaged very much I would give it a try if possible.
2016-1-31
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

Here are some of the videos I took before I lost the Inspire:
2016-2-7
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

I wanted to update everyone. It has been 21 days since I have received any sort of reply from DJI. It is extremely frustrating to wait so long for support.
2016-2-19
Use props
Stephen Marley
lvl.2

Australia

Movin on Posted at 2016-1-28 08:48
Here's a map on Healthy Drones web page.  You can see more details by loading your Flight Record ont ...

Thanks for the link, very helpful site
2016-2-19
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-19 14:02
I wanted to update everyone. It has been 21 days since I have received any sort of reply from DJI. I ...

There hoping you go away.
2016-2-19
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

The service is just awful.

Today, after waiting for 22 days, I receive the following reply:
"Thank you for contacting DJI,Please respond back to this email regarding any questions or concerns regarding your RTHF."

WTF? What about all of my messages and logs I sent to DJI? If DJI wants to be a successful leader in the North American market they will need to revamp their customer service. There are plenty of other companies waiting in the wings that are customer centric.

Words cannot explain how disappointed and frustrated I am.
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-21 05:59
The service is just awful.

Today, after waiting for 22 days, I receive the following reply:

I'm sorry you are having issues, what is you ticket number and I will look into it.
2016-2-20
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-30 12:09
I didnt read all posts in this thread.

Coming to the party late but before I even read any of the responses I was questioning when the battery was last charged (I know you said you had an earlier flight, but when was it charged before that flight) and RTH height you had set based on the fact that you were BLOS behind a mountain.  I would venture to guess it is near where macho shows in the photo.  While sometimes you can regain signal, usually when you head out behind a large solid object like rock, video will drop suddenly without warning.  I fly canyons and have this happen quite a bit.  The best option in this situation is to peg the throttle and hold it, while pointing your RC in the last known direction.   Also, if you are flying (illegally) BLOS you might as well go about it in a safe manner and put on some antennas and boosters from FPVLR.    

There are a few people on here from Hawaii, they might go looking for it.  I would ask.  
Sorry you lost your bird, not fun at all  - but there are some questions here as to the cause - and more so with how/where it was flown than the I1 itself.
2016-2-20
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

[Delete post
2016-2-20
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-7 16:32
Here are some of the videos I took before I lost the Inspire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Cu-S ...

Very interesting video that you have posted.  Brings to mind the old adage:  "there are bold pilots and old pilots, but no Old Bold pilots.
2016-2-21
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-20 16:17
I'm sorry you are having issues, what is you ticket number and I will look into it.

the ticket number is #250915
2016-2-21
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

Movin on Posted at 2016-2-21 14:30
Very interesting video that you have posted.  Brings to mind the old adage:  "there are bold pilot ...

Yea, the adage sounds good, but does not apply. The video is far from bold. All very safe flight locations, flown LOS and with GPS.
2016-2-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-22 05:43
the ticket number is #250915

I see that you were having conversations up until Jan 29th when they asked you for the logs and you sent something that I can't read and a link to Healthy Drones does not give them the information they need.
I will speak to someone about it tomorrow and they will email you.
And I am sorry for the delay.I do see they made you a generous offer.
2016-2-21
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-21 20:12
I see that you were having conversations up until Jan 29th when they asked you for the logs and you ...

Ken, I sent DJI the flight logs directly from the ios app. This was sent 24 days ago and I never received a reply.

You are correct, DJI did offer me a 1/3 discount on a new Inspire, and while I greatly appreciate the discount, if the failure was caused by a defect or known issue in DJI's product I would expect DJI to replace my Inspire at no cost to me.

I really appreciate you looking into my issue and helping me get a reply.
2016-2-22
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-27 13:13
You can upload the flight logs from the controller, in the flight logs page, there is a star on the  ...

Ken, I should also note that I did exactly this when you told me to. So they should have access to my log this way too.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-23 06:20
Ken, I should also note that I did exactly this when you told me to. So they should have access to ...

I have someone looking into this for you.
2016-2-22
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-22 16:44
I have someone looking into this for you.

Thank you very much!
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

They're sending you an email right now.
2016-2-22
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-22 17:07
They're sending you an email right now.

Ken,

Let me walk through this with you...

- 26 days ago you told me to: upload my logs, star the flight with the accident and contact DJI support. I did exactly that.
- Also 26 days ago when I filled out DJI Customer Usage Questionnaire V1.2 I noted that I uploaded the logs and starred them.
- 24 days ok Derek replies that "Please reply with the flight logs of the flight in question, and I will have the repair department look over the logs to see if we can determine the cause of this unfortunate situation." I was a little frustrated because I already sent the logs, but I still sent him the text file log from the iOS app, as well as the link to healthy drones. KEEP IN MIND I already synced my logs per your request and noted that in my DJI Customer Usage Questionnaire V1.2.
- Today, 24 days later I receive the following message from Derek: "We are unable to make an official desicion using the link, and information on healthydrones.com. Please reply with the flight logs of the flight in question, using the directions outlined below, and I will have the repair department look over the logs to see if we can determine the cause of this unfortunate situation."

Ken, I appreciate you getting involved, but this is not acceptable. Can you understand why this is very frustrating for me? I've waited 24 days to receive a ridiculous reply. I provided this information 26 days ago!
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-23 07:55
Ken,

I'm looking at you ticket and see that on Jan 29th they asked you for the flight log and to sync your last flight to the cloud and provide your account information.
You supplied some kind of TXT file but not the flight log how they were asking for it.
I'm sorry that it took so long, but you need to save your flight as a favorite and sync and give them your DJI GO account info and then they can read the logs.
I agree, there was a lapse in response and again I am sorry for that and I will bring it up.
2016-2-22
Use props
Mowog2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78944 ft
Australia

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-23 09:55
Ken,

What I see happening here is the typical #DJI email trail rubbish. You raise a case and the emails start they ask for the same things multiple times then say they never recived the files. Then email trail starts all over again.

In Australia the consumer laws are strongly in favor of the consumer so I gave up on DJI support and went back to the vendor and got a refund.

Stupidly I brought another Inspire 1 it is currently grounded until #DJI come up with some solutions and a stable firmware.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mowog2 Posted at 2016-2-23 12:32
What I see happening here is the typical #DJI email trail rubbish. You raise a case and the emails ...

Not true, the flight logs were asked for is a specific way (sync the flights and provide his account info) which he did not do but gave a TXT file that doesn't do anything and also provided a link to Healthy Drones and DJI does not use anything from Healthy Drones and has it's own software program.
I agree there was a lag in response but he still needs to provide the information that was asked for from the start. That's why he got another email today asking for the logs and with instructions how to upload them.
I see now that he has provided that info and the logs will be reviewed.
2016-2-22
Use props
Mowog2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78944 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 15:56
Not true, the flight logs were asked for is a specific way (sync the flights and provide his accou ...

Ken

In my case the email trail with no outcome forced me to use Australian consumer laws at the Vendor level it was clear I would never get any sense out of the #DJI customer support system.   

I have since loaded up the flight that ended my first Inspire into Healthy Drones and show the Inspire 1 randomly switching between ATTI and GPS mode. It was clear the drone was having some serious problems. #DJI got those flight logs and just stonewalled me on answers.

The biggest mistake after that was buying another Inspire 1.
2016-2-23
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-22 21:13
I'm looking at you ticket and see that on Jan 29th they asked you for the flight log and to sync y ...

Ken,

I'm confused. I did sync my logs, even before the 29th. Do they have what they need at this time? If not can you please have someone tell me exactly what they need?
2016-2-23
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

Ken,
also what happened to some of the post in this thread? There were 3 pages and like 89 post and now there are 2 pages and 72 post?
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-23 23:56
Ken,

I'm confused. I did sync my logs, even before the 29th. Do they have what they need at this  ...

You first provided a TXT file. I see yesterday you provided your DJI account info.
Your good, they now can access your flight log. They will email after they have reviewed it.
2016-2-23
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 16:17
You first provided a TXT file. I see yesterday you provided your DJI account info.
Your good, they ...

Ken, again, I synced my logs over 27 days ago and noted this in the DJI Customer Usage Questionnaire
V1.2. I synced them FIRST, before I even provided the text file. Me syncing my logs is NOT new or recent event! When will someone be reviewing the information?

This brings me to another question.... why is the TXT file that I provided (in addition to my synced logs) not useful to DJI? This is the log that is downloaded directly from your DJI app? Isn't this the same info you receive by me syncing my logs?
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-24 06:59
Ken, again, I synced my logs over 27 days ago and noted this in the DJI Customer Usage Questionnai ...

I'm looking at your customer questionnaire and I don't see where you added the DJI account info.
The TXT file for some reason does not help them. I don't know why, I am not in the repair department.
Regardless, you've provided it and they will review it.
And remember, Jan 20th you were made an offer as well.
I am sorry it's taking a while but they will get back to you.
2016-2-23
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 17:05
I'm looking at your customer questionnaire and I don't see where you added the DJI account info.
T ...

While offering a 33% discount is a nice gesture (I really do appreciate it), it does not answer the question of what happened. It is important to understand what happened to prevent it from happening again in the future. If it is an issue with the DJI battery (which I believe it is), then DJI should fully replace my Inspire. Also if it is an issue with the DJI battery then I would caution everyone to not buy or use their Inspire until the issue is resolved.

After waiting so long, I am hopping that DJI provides me with a detailed explanation of what they learned from the log file and how they came to the determination that they come up with, not just a 1 or 2 sentence thoughtless reply.

Thank you!
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-24 07:24
While offering a 33% discount is a nice gesture (I really do appreciate it), it does not answer th ...

They just received the log you sent yesterday. I will follow up tomorrow at work and see if they had a chance to review it.
2016-2-23
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 21:22
They just received the log you sent yesterday. I will follow up tomorrow at work and see if they h ...

Again, I did not just send the log yesterday. I added the log on January 27 and told the agent on the phone when I created the support ticket. I also listed in my DJI Customer Usage Questionnaire
V1.2 that I stared and synced the flight record with my DJI account. So they have had the logs for 28 days.

Looking forward to a reply.
2016-2-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ioshua Posted at 2016-2-25 01:02
Again, I did not just send the log yesterday. I added the log on January 27 and told the agent on  ...

Again, the TXT file you provided they cannot use. Since the aircraft is gone they analyze the logs from the DJI server and need your DJI account info to access the logs.
And again, that was not provided by you until a few days ago.
Still, there was a lapse in communication from when the offer was made to you and I apologize and I've notified management of it.
Your ticket is in the repair center waiting for the log to be reviewed from your DJI account info.
2016-2-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules