1010 5 2016-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeiman
New
Flight distance : 993924 ft
United States

Hello,
I am looking for advice and help on my repair, which was misdiagnosed.  

The short version is that they accepted it and after six days sent me an invoice which said they would not repair it under warranty because "Non warranty per flight log . Pilot error shutting down motors while in flight."   I understand that if they find the CSC somewhere in the log, they could automatically assume that it was caused by the CSC, however in my case it was not the reason for the phantom's crash.   My phantom was already out of control well before I had to use the CSC to bring it down.   I was under the impression that this was the purpose of the CSC.  Am I wrong?  I feel like if I had allowed the phantom to continue to spin and drop, they would not have said that.  I thought you were supposed to use the CSC in case of an emergency where the phantom was out of control and in danger of hitting property or a person.   Thankfully, that did not happen.  Nothing was damaged and nobody was hurt.
I opened another ticket to explain this to DJI and I was not mean about it.  I explained my case again and asked that they re-evaluate the crash and find the real reason for loss of control.   I believe that I was respectful and not at all abusive or angry in my wording.   My main worry is not money.   My main worry is that if they decided that it was simply the CSC that was the cause, the original failure / malfunction will not be addressed and I will likely get a phantom repaired which still has the same defect and it will crash again.  If it meant getting my phantom back quickly and in good condition I would be much more inclined to simply pay their repair fees and have my phantom back, but I don't want one that will likely crash again.  I miss it terribly.  It was less than 3 months old when it went down.  
My request for re-evaluation went unanswered and they closed the ticked 6 hours after it was opened with no response or explaination.    I am at a loss as to what to do now.  I am not going to give up, but I'm not sure if they are going to respond at all or listen to me since they closed the ticket.  
I also have proof in log files from the app and the video I salvaged from my SD card.  I uploaded the video to YouTube to share with them in hopes that it would help diagnose the reason for the failure.  At this point though, that seems to have fallen on deaf ears and I am not sure that they saw it.   So far, I have avoided posting anything bad about DJI on social media or complaining publicly about it because I believe that would be unfair and would not help my cause.  I just don't quite know what to do now.  
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks for reading.

If anyone from DJI reads and understands my dilemma, here is some additional information:   
RMA # 0111201676653244319
Invoice No.: 160123N46-PH8532
Video uploaded from the crash flight:  

2016-1-28
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Interesting black out of video at 0:34.
2016-1-28
Use props
Jeiman
New
United States

Movin on Posted at 2016-1-28 12:48
Interesting black out of video at 0:34.

It's not a black out.  That's a transition from Premiere Pro.  If I had uploaded all of the video it would have been several minutes of flight.  I clipped the video to show the part where the Phantom was visibly malfunctioning.  The uploaded video is a composite of two recordings from the same flight.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Could you please post your flight log here, so we double check the results of data analysis
Thank you!

2016-1-28
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Jeiman Posted at 2016-1-28 12:39
It's not a black out.  That's a transition from Premiere Pro.  If I had uploaded all of the video  ...

Even tho it has been said that a picture is worth a 1000 words, an edited video will not help you with DJI.  You would be well advised to post your actual flight log from the SD card or DJI APP here or send it PM to DJI-Tim as he has requested.
2016-1-31
Use props
Jeiman
New
United States

I have resolved the issue with DJI and my phantom is on its way back.  They decided to cover it under warranty.  Thank you for your help.
I'm sorry it took so long to respond to this.  I thought I had posted it on a different forum.   I still don't know what the cause of the malfunction was.  It was obviously not pilot error.  I've had a few people look at my logs and I've analyzed them through healthydrones.  There is no clear reason for the malfunction.  It is clear that the phantom was spinning well before the end of the flight.  It could have been a compass error, but that didn't show up in my logs.  The battery voltage was also off, but again there was no error.   There were only indications that something was wrong.  DJI sent it back, but they didn't tell me what the cause was and at this point I'm just happy to be getting it back from repair.  I am guessing it was a bad compass or sensor.

From healthydrones:          

Found rate of change in the compass of 25 degrees or more per 0.1 seconds.
That's about a 90 degree turn in a third of a second, which is not normal.

This can be a result of extremly strong winds, a crash into an object or a bad compass.

http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... amp;page_id=GENERAL

Part 2:

http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... amp;page_id=GENERAL
2016-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules