Hands Down: iPhone or iPad Air 2?
1529 10 2016-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steven.chretien
lvl.2

United States

Hey all.  I haven't posted much but I've had my Inspire for a couple of weeks and been using a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition to fly FPS.  I've flown quite a few times now and shot a lot of video at different altitudes. I'm absolutely in love with this Inspire 1.  Well, maybe addicted, I dream of flying it and different approaches all day long while at my day job.  So when watching the video back on a Mac device or Apple device the video is flawless as compared on my Samsung Note 10.1 or Samsung s5 I get a lot of ghosting/artifacting/digital noise
when rotating or panning.  So it seems like Apple is what this stuff is made for as the video is slow flawless I was beyond blown away and then the key word smithing is "optimizedzed for iphone, i . so my question is if I'm going with Mac or Apple which should I get to achieve the best/smoothest fps possible, an iPhone with some sort of VR display that it mounts in or should I go with an iPad air 2 - that sounds like that's pretty hot as well.  Again, what I'm after is the best video at the closest FPS to my face as possible...and no duct taping it to my face, that doesnt count. ;)
I know this has been covered a hundred times at least.  I'm just curious what the opinions are today on current apple products not on an old thread since it looks like I'm going to spend quite a bit of money I want to make sure I'm going to get the best frame rate possible and the smoothest video playback.  So to the veterans of the site whom sigh at this topic once again (and i understand why) even a one word recommendation of a decve would be REALLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance everyone.

Steve
2016-1-28
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Also, please let me know if your using a VR setup if that's what you've found worked best. Fat Sharks piqued my interest as well.
2016-1-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your best bet is the iPad Air Mini 4. It is perfect in that it is not bulky and it is a very nice fit with the RC.
2016-1-29
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I pad air. 10.5 inch size ( Max for the standard Transmiiter Holder)  I just find the screen size is just right and the weight is not an issue.  You can also  use a Sun Shade and the device does not "Get Lost" inside of it.  Also the I pad mini ( If this is on your Radar) does not have GPS  function so the" Follow Me" mode would not be accessible.  Also future  similar "Follow Me" functions may be added and you will want to have that available.  My 2 cents.
**     Also an individual did a side by side test to compare video lag and found the Apple  devices had less lag time than the other products tested.  It was not a huge amount but noticable. (This was on You tube )

Cheers Donnie

2016-1-29
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-1-29 00:54
Also, please let me know if your using a VR setup if that's what you've found worked best. Fat Shark ...

I am purchasing the Fat Shark, Dominator HD goggles now.  I am hopeful they work out.  I dont think I will use them all the time but  this is something I have dreamed of.  

Day to day Hobbyist, I use I Pad air Standard size.  

Cheers Donnie
2016-1-29
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all who responded.  I went with the iPad Air 2 64gb, and it's soooooo much smoother it's noticable within a second after take off.  It's been a crazy last month and a half, but I am completely setup and I owe so much of my flawless setup to the community and those of you who take the time to respond.  You all are always welcomed in my town to fly. I got the VR setup going pretty smooth with a app called "3D FPV"...which is WAY more smooth than Litchi.  I also am just blown away at how vastly superior the iPad Air 2 is in video smoothness and quality.  I had the Samsung tablet, and it's just not nearly as gorgeous looking on the video...and

Anyways, let me know how the Fat Sharks went Donnie.  I heard the "Head Play" unit is a little bit better...but for 30 bucks I got the VR Box working with my phone.  Thanks one again for all the input!  You guys rock!
2016-3-1
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

I1ADDICT    I actually had  the Fat Shark and sent them back because of a Pixel Problem.  Then I bought  a pair of Zeiss Cinemizer's and did not like them either, ( display not large enough) sold them to a family member.  My next step is Head  Play.  I will let you know how those go.

Also I just bought the I pad Pro ( BIG) and am waiting for the special Mount extension  to arrive    I am very excited, I have heard some of the other  DJI guys love it.  

Have  fun - donnie
2016-3-1
Use props
cswamp1
New

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-1 14:30
I1ADDICT    I actually had  the Fat Shark and sent them back because of a Pixel Problem.  Then I bo ...

I use the head Play and love it. Don't think you'll be disappointed.
2016-3-1
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

cswamp1@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-1 21:10
I use the head Play and love it. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thank You for your Input.  I was so disappointed in the Zeiss .  I wish they made one ( headplay) without the transmitter and what not, just the hdmi connection, that would be ideal for us.

all the best -donnie
2016-3-2
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

I fly with both iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6, depending on what I'm going to do.  If I'm going to use Follow me or some other automated mode, I use the iPhone for the GPS requirement, since I have the non-cellular iPad Air 2.  For manual flying, I prefer the iPad Air 2, for it's large bright fast display.

I can't really say if I prefer one over the other, except to say, it's really annoying to get a call while you are flying, and the iPhone is in the holder with a sun shield over it. :@
2016-3-2
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the iPad mini 2 and an iPhone 6 with no issues at all. I think you will get many answers depending on the experience of each individual out there.
I have the FatShark Dominators HD but do not intend to use them on my Inspire 1. FS is coming out with a new version with better head gear.  I could take it or leave it.
good luck,

Rich
2016-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules